mid pipe rusted out

One of my buddies has a 00 520exc. He found out that the mid pipe had rusted thru and had an exhaust leak. $80 fix. He plugs the pipe when washing and runs the bike after each wash. Any input? THX.

Frank,

I did a post earlier about ceramic coating my '01 520 EXC's exhaust. The reason I had it done was that I liked the stock exhaust and I had pulled the exhaust off the bike at only at about 150 MI. and it was really rusting from the inside out badly. Do a search for "ceramic coating exhaust" if you want to read the post.

If you would like send me an E-Mail & I can send you some pics.

jsbohazi@hotmail.com

------------------

Joe Bohazi

If In Doubt "Gas It"

'01 520 EXC

'99 640 LC4

'96 KX 250 Gone

'92 RM 125 Gone

'00 ZX-12R

'01 ZRX1200R

[This message has been edited by Joe B (edited October 10, 2001).]

Thanks, I think my friend is considering this option but I am curious what is causing the problem in the first place?

This might help,

The equation for combustion of methane (as an example) is:

CH4 (g) + 2O2(g) = CO2(g) + 2H2O(g) + energy

Water vapor is one of the products of the reaction, which is contributing to the rust in the pipe. The reason why this may not be a problem in other exhaust systems is that the pipe is coated with a carbon residue from the combustion process forming a barrier between the metal and water vapor. Perhaps the KTM’s run pretty clean, or the exhaust velocity is relatively high in which little or no carbon is deposited on the inside of the pipe. I have not looked into this on my bike, but do you recall a noticeable deposit of carbon on the inside of the pipe?

The pipe had virtually no carbon build-up, the silencer was the only part which really had any carbon residue.

------------------

Joe Bohazi

If In Doubt "Gas It"

'01 520 EXC

'99 640 LC4

'96 KX 250 Gone

'92 RM 125 Gone

'00 ZX-12R

'01 ZRX1200R

Do you think that high temp paint would provide good rust protection?