16 & 18 mm clamps....

As per a curiosity post made a bit ago on if they make a difference...I am curious myself, being as I run the stockers. Too cheap to buy something that expensive without knowing if they will be of assistance.

I made a reply in the one post telling my story of how I notice a toughness to make the big beast stuff in a tight turn.

I am curious to see if anyone would be willing to let me borrow their 16 or 18mm offset clamps for one ride, to see if I notice a difference, and therefore make a comparison.

I would obviously pay shipping both ways, and I am willing to ship my stock 20mm clamps to you - in case you want to ride, fancy that.

All I want is to be able to try the clamps out for ONE of our twisty, tight Hare Scrambles, then I will clean them up and ship them back the next day.

If anyone is willing to do this, please e-mail me, or make a post.

Chris

------------------

'01 KTM 520 SX

'95 KX 250 FOR SALE!!! -asking $2000 with decent amount of plastics/decals, parts!!

AMA Dist 6 Member

Hare Scramble Class B #523

Convince me why I should send a $300.00 set of triple clamps to a total stranger.

Not to mention the hassle of disassembling and reassembling your bike! Good luck finding someone to do that. Maybe they'll let you borrow their wife too. wink.gif

------------------

YZ A

'91 Z50R

'96 YZ 125

'99 YZ 250

'01 YZ250F

Just buy the clamps! They work way better than the stock 20's. I havent heard anyone say they regretted buying them. I have the 18s on my bike. I like the Scotts as they mount my damper without any hassle and they look awesome on my bike.

okok, I get the point.....

Hey, just figured I'd ask, I thought this was done before, could just be my imagination though I guess.

Well, in the case of people saying they did buy the offsets...DID those people run stock clamps? Thats what was in question before, no one ran stock....how can anyone say they are a benefit if the never ran stock? For all I know, I could hate em....especially if they DO make a difference. There is a reason stuff comes on these things as they do...

Convince? How's a check to cover the cost of the clamps should I not return them? Make trust both ways then. I don't want to borrow someone's wife, my fiancee would get a little upset over that I think. smile.gif

ANYWAY, just hate spending a ton of money to "see", if there is another way. I can undertand the questions....I mean, I know I would be leary!

Maybe for Christmas....hmmmmm !

------------------

'01 KTM 520 SX

'95 KX 250 FOR SALE!!! -asking $2000 with decent amount of plastics/decals, parts!!

AMA Dist 6 Member

Heres a deal for you. I will sell you brand new pair of Scotts 18mm clamps for $350 (retail price) + shipping and if you arent happy with them I will give you $175 back, no questions when I receive them back in resellable condition.

Have you tried GPR. My understanding is fi you don't like their stuff, they will take it back. Now the question, do they make the 18mm clamps?

------------------

Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

I have a set of 18mm clamps, send me an e-mail, and we'll see if we can work something out. motojunkie@qwest.net

I have 2 sets of applied clamps (18mm) for sale. I'll take $250 for each and pay the shipping (USA only). E-mail me barthayes1@cs.com if anyone is interested.

Bart Hayes

Originally posted by barthayes1:

I have 2 sets of applied clamps (18mm) for sale. I'll take $250 for each and pay the shipping (USA only). E-mail me barthayes1@cs.com if anyone is interested.

Bart Hayes

Two questions for KTMers

1. What is the feedback on 16mm verses 18mm regarding off road riding.

2. What offset is an XR400 because I like the way they steer? Yamahas seem to steer for me do you guys know what offset a YZ250 or 400 has

Mark

You can't compare the steering of an XR400 with a KTM, they have completely different frames. The only "real" comparison you have is between the different offsets for the KTM's. I personally like the 18mm ove the 20's as they sharpen the steering without making the bike feel too front end heavy. But I haven't tried the 16mm clamps either. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by motojunkie:

You can't compare the steering of an XR400 with a KTM, they have completely different frames. The only "real" comparison you have is between the different offsets for the KTM's. I personally like the 18mm ove the 20's as they sharpen the steering without making the bike feel too front end heavy. But I haven't tried the 16mm clamps either. Hope this helps.

Above I intended to say that I felt that yamaha's steer a little slow for me and was curious as to what the YZ's triple clamp off set is?

I think the Yamaha turning is simply the way they are. Make a post on the 426 side, see if anyone replys to it, asking how much the clamp offset is.

Yamahas in general turn sluggish, and are slow reactors, but are more "planted" feeling. I rode an R1 and an R6 street bike, I owned a 98 Honda CBR600F3. The R1 and R6 both felt like I was trying to turn the wheel through molassess. My Honda, quick as a bunny, and crisp.

My dads 426, sluggish and planted, (i can't ride it), my KTM with 20mm offsets, flicky and crisp. I am doing a test of the 18mm clamps hopefully this weekend, worst case, by Nov 11th. I will be making a post then as to MY findings, as I have ridden a BONE stock 520 now for a while, and i want to see if this is a good investment.

Yammys could just be a slightly different head tube angle, so the offset on the triple clamp is irrelivent.

------------------

'01 KTM 520 SX

AMA Dist 6 Member

[This message has been edited by Chris Slade (edited October 24, 2001).]