Sign in to follow this  

California "G Model" What does the G stand for?

I understand the "G" model is Calif. green sticker legal and that the only difference is the jetting. Where does the G come from? Is this the letter in the 8th digit of the VIN? It seems ridiculous that you can get a bike out of state and pay for shipping and still get it for a grand cheaper than here in CA.

Hey John,

Not sure, but I think the "G" is just a designation that KTM has given the "California" model. You are correct, it comes with different (i.e. leaner) jetting than the 49 state bike, and most importantly comes with a VIN that does NOT have a 3 or C in the 8th position of the VIN (mine is something like X...don't want to crawl out to the garage to check).

So...yeah, you pay more for the "G", but at least the sticker issues are gone. Let's just hope they don't change the rules again.... frown.gif

Originally posted by johnmix_2:

I understand the "G" model is Calif. green sticker legal and that the only difference is the jetting. Where does the G come from? Is this the letter in the 8th digit of the VIN? It seems ridiculous that you can get a bike out of state and pay for shipping and still get it for a grand cheaper than here in CA.

Hi Mike,

I'd recommend rejetting before the first ride. Mine ran so lean it was really worrying me, so I kept my first ride to less than an hour. It was running hot, and popping like mad when I chopped the throttle. After putting the "49 state" parts into the carb (48 pilot, different needle, both came with the bike), the bike runs great. Now it actually has a low end!

If any CA dealers read this board, please recommend to your buyers that they make this jetting change before they ride their new toy. I hate to think I may have shortened the life of my motor due to running too lean..... frown.gif

Crash

Originally posted by Mike in Roseville:

I heard that the bike is so lean that you will have to immediately re-jet it to make the bike run properly.

G must stand for GAK / I have the 2001 so I get the almighty red sticker. If I had only known, waited one year, rejetted. Oh well.

I have ridden everywhere with the red sticker and not had one problem. Lucky I guess.

MIke

------------------

2001 KTM 400 exc. No upgrades, comes out of the box ready to ride.

Originally posted by Mike in Roseville:

G must stand for GAK / I have the 2001 so I get the almighty red sticker. If I had only known, waited one year, rejetted. Oh well.

I have ridden everywhere with the red sticker and not had one problem. Lucky I guess.

MIke

Doh! I was told by my dealer that all the '01 EXCs he registered got greens. Not sure if it was a VIN thing, or just his luck.

FYI, I talked to a ranger dude at Carnegie and he said '01 was a "warning" year and starting in '02 they will be ticketing folks riding with red stickers during "green only" season.

Just curious, but how do you even get into the parks that check with a red sticker in the summer? At Carnegie and Hollister where I ride, they stop you at the front gate and point you to the exit unless you have a greenie.....

Crash

Mammoth has the gate, Foresthill, Georgetown, Stoneyford do not. I guess I have been lucky to not see many rangers. They are out there but it is rare to see them.

Mike

Knowing California they'd let you in and then fine you. That revenue to them...don't worry they'll find a way or invent a new rule trying.

------------------

01 KLX, FMF Powercore IV muffler 14/52 gearing, stroker hot start button-hey at least I can still kick, unlike those KTM people

Hey Klxer.

I had a KLX a few years ago, updated it with a mikuni carb, pro circuit exhaust and head pipe. Made the bike much better. AFter a few months I was still starving for power, went to the WR, then to the KTM. Good bike but has its limitations, expecially in the power supply. Just couldn't get out of it what I needed. I guess I grew up grin.gif

Mike

At 145 lbs I'm hoping the carb mod and header will make the bike "as big as I need" right now. Some day RetSenior will prob talk me into a KTM 400 with that lazy man's button but for now the KLX might as wheel have training wheels for me. I'm still learning the ropes of off road riding.

------------------

01 KLX, FMF Powercore IV muffler 14/52 gearing, stroker hot start button-hey at least I can still kick, unlike those KTM people

[This message has been edited by KLXer (edited October 24, 2001).]