baja 1000 advise for east coast guys

i've done a few baja races on the 650R...

There are 2-3 levels of mods.

For first timers--heres the minimum:

1) IMS tank.

2) 15 tooth countersprocket

3) re-wind stator for 200+ watts

4) Baja Designs or Electrux or Ricky Stator 200 watt lights.(or HID's)

5) get a spare rear wheel.

6) steering stabilizer/fat bars

7) re-work the suspension.

8) Open up the can, and the airbox.

9) re-jet for opened up can/airbox

10) do SCORE mods--zip tye spokes, add flasher on rear fender, tape on chit bottle/can.

11) Super heavy duty inner tubes.

Thats more or less the minimum. Its also about all you really need unless you are really going for a class win.

One level up from that would include a race cam, a dry break, bolted thru footpeg, 15-47 gearing, edelbrock carb, drilled out side panels, maybe a couple other things.

Final level would include the HRC race engine parts, CR500 rear shock, push to talk radio, megaphone exhaust, bat wing (power now), heavy duty radiators, excell rims, and maybe a few other goodies...

You guys in for the 1000? Its getting late to start building a bike....

You guys in for the 1000? Its getting late to start building a bike....

Don't forget a good pit service too, chase trucks, food, lodging, fuel, etc. Radio for chase trucks as minimum so you can find out what is happening to your racer when he fails to show up in the night. Honda pits fill up quick, then its down to my crew (Baja Pits USA) and Mag 7 to pit you. Steny

Last year three riders from VA finished 10th overall motorcycle in the 1000.

Fred Brown/Perry Brown/Tommy Tomlinson were riding a 650R. I'm not sure what class they were in but they could probably offer you some advice. Fred Brown is the owner of Wythe Raceway in Rural Retreat VA. You can find his contact info at this link.

www.wytheraceway.com

Irondude. I was curious how important pre-riding the course would be for a team that just wants to survive, finish, and have some fun. I know the top teams work hard on learning the course with pre-run bikes and 7.0 gal tanks but how about the little guys. Or is the course marked well enough so you can just show up at the start and wing it?

Irondude. I was curious how important pre-riding the course would be for a team that just wants to survive, finish, and have some fun. I know the top teams work hard on learning the course with pre-run bikes and 7.0 gal tanks but how about the little guys. Or is the course marked well enough so you can just show up at the start and wing it?

we are in! and working on the bike as we speak.

I've been thinking about volunteering for the 1000.

I'd really like to experience the Baja 1000 in a support role a couple of times and then maybe try it myself someday.

If you could use an extra pair of hands let me know @ mleget3@cs.com.

we are in! and working on the bike as we speak.

I've been thinking about volunteering for the 1000.

I'd really like to experience the Baja 1000 in a support role a couple of times and then maybe try it myself someday.

If you could use an extra pair of hands let me know @ mleget3@cs.com.

I am not trying to be a wet blanket, but it sounds kind of risky to just show up at a race and wing it. I saw the recent movie on the big screen and thought, " boy, that would be sweet to do"....and then I thought about the logistics and danger involved.

Go for it if that is your thing, but I sure as hell wouldn't want orthopedic surgery in Mexico.

Good luck, be careful. Have Fun.

I am not trying to be a wet blanket, but it sounds kind of risky to just show up at a race and wing it. I saw the recent movie on the big screen and thought, " boy, that would be sweet to do"....and then I thought about the logistics and danger involved.

Go for it if that is your thing, but I sure as hell wouldn't want orthopedic surgery in Mexico.

Good luck, be careful. Have Fun.

If you are from the east coast and its hard to get out here and all that then yeah you can just show up and race it.

remeber there wasnt ANY pre-running for the first 15 or so baja 1000's....

its very common for teams to have a rider injured pre-running--or someone backs out or whatever--and so they switch sections at the last minute and someone races a part they dont know--its VERY common....so this idea that all the racers--even on pro teams--know all the sections they ride is not true at all. Yes its nice to know whats behind every turn--sure allows ya to go faster--but its not 100% necessary.

Most guys from far away fly in a week before the race--pre-run for a day or two--then clean up the biike 2-3 days before the race and go thru the tech inspection and all that....

I've had racers come in from Europe and east coast to race with me in baja and its gone over well...

One important thing is you get a hotel now in Ensenada, (it will sell out) contract with a pit service--call Honda now-or Steny's Baja Pits or Mag 7....and obviously get your bike dialed in.

Consider two sattelite phones--you can rent them. One for the bike--one for the truck...Also consider a VHF radio...to listen to the race and contact them if your team is missing.

You can rent a small RV to chase with or an RV and a pick-up (National City Ford rents Ford F150's and you can take them to Baja....) or drive your truck out.

Baja 1000 is a easy course...its just long-and half is in the dark. Ride smart and you will have one VERY intense time...its a hoot!

Plan on at least one rear tire change. At least 3 air filter changes.

Dont forget to say hi if you see our Husqvarna!

feel free to pm if you have specific questions...

I'm kinda amazed at some of the replies on here.

I think it's irresponsible to give this North Carolina guy a false sense of security about Baja racing. It's not a walk in the park racing Baja. It's not safe. Baja racing is actually kinda stupid when you really look at it.

Look, the NC guys are racing a few year old 650R that's been used as a dual sport bike, they aren't sure how to get it ready, they just want to finish, they are planning for some friends to pit them (the friends are also supporting a slower class race truck), they're throwing this deal together very late, they have no plans for rooms or support, they are not planning to pre-ride, they're good riders (apparently) but they've never ridden in the desert and more importantly they've never ridden in Baja.

They are going into this thing less than blind.

I am not trying to be a wet blanket, but it sounds kind of risky to just show up at a race and wing it.
YES, someone here is realistic.
Last year three riders from VA finished 10th overall motorcycle in the 1000. Brown/Brown/Tomlinson were riding a 650R. I'm not sure what class they were in
Fred Brown and his gang are one of the best teams that's come from the East in a long time. They've been Baja 1000 regulars for the past 7+ years and do a great job. They race the Sportsman Open class and in '04 they were 1st in class and about 10th OA. Good people too.

Oh, and they are OK with spending plenty of $ to do it right and they spend time pre-running.

I was curious how important pre-riding the course would be for a team that just wants to survive, finish, and have some fun.
The course is marked very well. To just show up and wing it I'd never suggest. You need to be fully aware of where all your pit locations and rider changes will be as well as where the route goes. Also, you're from CA so you've likely got desert and maybe Baja riding experience. You're a step ahead of someone who's done neither.
I'd really like to experience the Baja 1000 - If you could use an extra pair of hands let me know
Leget, you should contact this NC guy and see if you can hook up with them to come out, it'd be a great experience.
remeber there wasnt ANY pre-running for the first 15 or so baja 1000's
That can't even be compared to current races, it's a different ordeal nowadays.

OH, AND BY THE WAY, they started pre-running the 1000 as early as the 2nd Baja 1000. That's a fact.

Also, if it was 15 years of no pre-run then I would have been in the first actual pre-run year at my first 1000 race, and that wasn't the case, pre-running was old hat at that point.

so they switch sections at the last minute and someone races a part they dont know--its VERY common
But at least these riders have some pre-run experience and are, quite possibly, excellent desert & Baja riders. The NC guys have no idea what they're getting into.
Baja 1000 is a easy course
Depends on each years route. With the rumors about the "05 course I'd say it'll be a rough son-of-a-bitch.
Ride smart and you will have one VERY intense time
To say the least....

Fred Brown and his gang are one of the best teams that's come from the East in a long time. They've been Baja 1000 regulars for the past 7+ years and do a great job. They race the Sportsman Open class and in '04 they were 1st in class and about 10th OA. Good people too.

No kidding, That's exactly why I told him he should contact these guys for advice. How is that giving a false sense of security? :banghead: