Sign in to follow this  

Just installed the 520 electric fan!! cool!!

Hi Dr.s,

I ordered my fan last week and it should be here tomorrow. Any tips on the install, or should it just bolt on?

Thanks!

Crash

Originally posted by Dr.s:

That fan is awesome!!! When I ride with my wife on her xr100, my 520EXC wont overheat anymore.

Originally posted by Dr.s:

my 520EXC wont overheat anymore.

I'm new to KTM's and don't have my manuals yet. How do you know when the bike has overheated? My wife and daughter are on small bikes, so I'll be doing a fair amount of slow riding.

Dr.s,

Was your bike overheating when riding with your wife? What year is your 520?

I've never overheated my bike and I've ridden some LONG slow trailrides with my wife, worked on trails, etc. I guess we don't see a lot of hot days up here but we had our share of hot days up here this summer. All my KTM 2 strokes overheated a bit almost every ride so I've been very happy with the 400. It's never used a drop from overheating.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

just because it's not spitting fluid

doesn't mean it's running as cool as it should. The nice part about the fan is that with it "I believe" the motor will last longer because it is running cooler. The fan kicks on at 185 degs. You won't boil over (depending on your set-up) till 230+. Just like an auto trans the cooler you can keep it the longer it will last. my 02

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

The cooling fan does work, worked so well on my 520 that it ran down the battery. At least it starts easy with the kick starter, but I'm spoiled.

For the next ride I wired an on-off switch into the line to the fan so I could control when it ran. Every time I switched it on, it would run continuously. The fan and switch are now back in the box.

[This message has been edited by John (edited October 15, 2001).]

My fan works perfectly...

drcrashr--The install was "extremely" easy, the only hard part was reconnecting the right side radiator hose after cutting it about 1"....you have to leave the end of the hose cut at the right angle, or the tube clamp wont hold on right.

Dirtbike Dad--The bike should rest cold with the water level 10 mm above the fins inside when you take the cap off.... If it is lower, you are loosing a little water

jeb--The Bike didn't "overheat" before I bought the fan, but the coolant level would drop some....

John--Maybee someone else on the forum would like to buy your fan kit from you??? Is it in perfect condition with all the parts??

Personally, I love the fan, it seldom kicks on, but when it does I can relax becuase I know my brand new, shiny, beautifull, fast, awesome, rocketship, most fun bike I have ever owned, 02 KTM 520EXC is safe and wont overheat and blow up.

I give the fan smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

five smiley's

Oh yeah,

John--When I bought my 520, the dealership pointed out that the charging system on the bike is only designed to keep a battery charged, not charge it when it's low....

I bought a little battery charger, charged it once, and it starts perfectly every time, fan or not.."It used to almost never start with the button when I first got my bike"

You might buy a battery charger, and give it one really good charge. It made a HUGE difference for my bike....

Happy riding. smile.gif

My stator has been rewound to put out a 140watts as part of my dual sport kit installation and I love my fan. My bike used to loose coolant slowly when ridden but after the fan install it never needs coolant and I was suprised at how often the fan runs. I love my fan and its automatic operation.

cheers

Clark

First let me say I'm not putting down the fan. I'm just curious if any of the '01+ bikes are overheating in normal use. I just haven't heard of many instances of it. If you leave them idle for a while, I've heard of them boiling but it's not common otherwise.

Originally posted by TBob:

just because it's not spitting fluid

doesn't mean it's running as cool as it should.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I'd sure hope the engineers/designers setup the cooling pressure system to blow by the cap when the engine temps are higher than they 'should' be.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

[This message has been edited by jeb (edited October 16, 2001).]

Does the fan fit both the EXC and MXC, or does the bigger MXC tank interfere?

man, after hearing this, I hope I won't hear any more snide comments from KTM 4 strike guys about all the "stuff" we put on our YZF's.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Steve49:

Does the fan fit both the EXC and MXC, or does the bigger MXC tank interfere?

it fits also on the MXC tank .

I use also the fan, but he is running only in very difficult conditions and i never had problems with the battery.

If the fan is running ( that means the water is very hot , nearly to hot ) you should not stop the engine, because than it cools down faster.