Sign in to follow this  

CA. KTM riders

O.K. where is the best place to buy a CA.520EXE and what should I expect to pay out the door?? Thanks for any reply

A "Good" price in California is retail plus tax and tags. i.e. no "freight" "Setup" "assembly" or "advertising fee" added on the back end of the deal!

Wilson's in Fresno advertises a discount but you'll find they add it all back (and then some!) in "assembly", "Freight" and Doc fee. I went CASH in hand to Wilson's and left without a bike. ( a 3 hour drive each way ) With all the fee's Wilson's ended up being several hundred dollars over retail...To some it up, they are a bunch of "Used Car Salesmen".

The best place I found was KTM of Mojave. They are in the middle of nowhere and know it! They are happy to see you! It's a family owned and operated shop. Sam and Lori own the shop and other family members work there. They don't play any games and I like that! I bought two bikes from them, the bikes come set up and ready to ride...that means things that need greased are greased and things that need locktight have it. Sam does all the shop work and Lori handles the sales and store end of things. I won't speak for them, but there are SEVERAL members on this board that got their bikes from Sam and Lori as well.

You can find there contact info at : www.ktmofmojave.com

I'll get off my soap box..... grin.gif

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'01 520 MXC

'01 200 MXC

'02 YZ250P

'01 KX85

I'm likely to purchase my new KTM from Eric's Motorcycles in Pasadena. Their prices seem reasonable, but I'm not familiar with their service. Has anyone out there had experience with them, good or bad?

Thanks Chris, I live in Fresno area and also checked out Wilsons. $788 to asemble a bike!! Not for me. I will definately check out KTM of Mojave.

Lemme ask one thing....with the set-up costs and such on a new bike.

Who else feels it's a rip-off, when the buy a new bike, and have to go home and tear it apart to loc-tite everything, and grease the bearings? Isn't that what the set-up fee is for????? I mean, why not sell it to us in the crate?????? It's not like it will void a warranty...jeez, 30 days is hardly a warranty (although it is MUCH better than the big 4, with 0 days!).

------------------

'01 KTM 520 SX

'95 KX 250 FOR SALE!!! -asking $2000 with decent amount of plastics/decals, parts!!

AMA Dist 6 Member

Hare Scramble Class B #523

I Agree with Chris in the Mojave. Last week I bought my 520 EXC from KTM of Mojave and have nothing but good to say.

------------------

T Martin

02 KTM 520 EXC

97 XR 400

Two son's bikes

01 RM 80

01 RM 80

Originally posted by Chris Slade:

Lemme ask one thing....with the set-up costs and such on a new bike.

Who else feels it's a rip-off, when the buy a new bike, and have to go home and tear it apart to loc-tite everything, and grease the bearings? Isn't that what the set-up fee is for????? I mean, why not sell it to us in the crate?????? It's not like it will void a warranty...jeez, 30 days is hardly a warranty (although it is MUCH better than the big 4, with 0 days!).

I've never paid a setup fee on a dirtbike. I know in some areas that's pretty common but not here in MN. It is a total ripoff unless they are doing something special like going through all the bearings for you, loctiting everything, wiring grips, installing extras you bought, etc.

From what I understand, getting a bike in a crate from KTM will void your warranty. I'd check on that before you bought one that way. And I know of several cases where the KTM 30 day warranty has been extended to cover major stuff that has gone wrong.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

I got my '01 520 EXC from Fators up here in Redding. I paid suggested retail for it but no "setup" fee and then he turned around and gave me a $200 credit for accessories. That helped put the dampner on the handlebars. Craig may not give everyone that $200 credit because I've been going into his shop for years - but he's a pretty straight shooter and it's nice to be able to support a local shop. The only problem is that he doesn't get very many RFS's. When he gets them, they aren't on the floor for very long.

John Moore at Moore and Sons in Santa Cruz is a great guy and usually will give you a pretty good deal - he also usually has a ton of bikes in stock (last time I was down there he had a 520exc and mxc on the floor). He has been a KTM dealer for as long as KTM's have been sold in CA, and seems to have a good relationship with KTMUSA. He seems to get a lot of bikes pretty quick

[This message has been edited by Kalitude (edited October 16, 2001).]

Got mine from Scuderia in San Fran. I had a 400 on order at Wilson's, but when they told me "another 3-6 weeks", I called Scuderia and they told me a guy had to pass on the 520 he had ordered, so it was sitting on the showroom floor. It came home with me that day. They charged $150 setup on top of MSRP, and I think it was worth it because they went through and stuck locktite on everything that had threads, greased the bejeezus out of the bearings, etc. I have 2 rides on the big girl now, and not one spoke, nut, fastener, etc., has come loose. If you call them, ask for Alan. He's a nice guy, and is the most knowledgeable about the KTMs (re. how they handle, etc....Mike in service is "the man" re. wrenching on them).

Just my $.02.

Good riding.

Crash

While not a 520 I got my 400 from Z racing in Anaheim and I believe the set up was $150.

Mike

------------------

2001 KTM 400 exc. No upgrades, comes out of the box ready to ride.