Sign in to follow this  

Selling Parts

Let's face the truth.......KTM sells parts, lot's of parts!!! In fact I would guess that they make as much on parts as they do on new bike sales. That's what big biz is all about. This brings me to my point......Use your own good judgement when making decisions reguarding what type of oil and filters you choose. If there was a magic oil out there that promiced zero wear do you think the guy's at KTM would tell you about it?..........Exactally!...Great site, I get loads of great advice here.

Where did this come from? All manufacturers sell parts. Lots of parts. Probably the only folks that make more on parts than they do on bikes is Suzuki and Kawi because these brands always seem to be broken around here.

Probably all bike manufacturers make more contribution to the bottom line from parts sales. This would also be similar to the auto business.

I have family members that own car dealerships and two very close friends who own motorcycle dealerships (both KTM shops). From a dealership perspective, the parts/service area generates 10 times the revenue of new product sales. Of course this would not be true for every dealership, but probably is directionally right for dealerships that have a decent parts counter and service department.

I would agree with you Tex. The shops around here make most of the bank on parts (both have great parts managers). Kawi and Suzuki would make alot of money on parts but I guess when you aren't selling very many bike you don't need to have spare parts for bikes that aren't sold!

I just love slamming on yellow and green bikes. The people that own them get so defensive!

Originally posted by sxjnky:

This brings me to my point......Use your own good judgement when making decisions reguarding what type of oil and filters you choose. If there was a magic oil out there that promiced zero wear do you think the guy's at KTM would tell you about it?..........Exactally

You say this is your point but, I'm sorry, I don't get your point. Could you explain, please?

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

Are you saying the dealers are trying to sell us bad oil so we will buy more parts when our bikes were out prematurely???????????

Were did you come from and can you please go back there??

------------------

2001 KTM 400SX #529

-------------------------

SPONSORS: MA'S CYCLES, SIDI, WD-40, MOTOREX, N-STYLE, WER, BRIDGESTONE, SMITH.

I'm not sure if my parts guy is on commission or not, but I certainly trust his oppionion. They make money off of oil too, and I don't think any synthetic oils can be any worse than dino-juice. Sure, parts sometimes cost a lot. It just like any dealership. Just take it in stride and try not to use any more of the stupid parts like bolts than you have to smile.gif...

I was just wondering, since we all know that the guy that started this thread is pretty stupid, does anyone have any really bad jokes to add to this somewhat laughable thread? I usually do but I am drawing a blank right now....

I've worked in the powersports industry off and on for the last 10 years and I can't believe whats coming outta this guys mouth. He obviously doesn't have a clue about how business works. Unhappy customers don't return!!