Sign in to follow this  

Bike Length Please...

I'm looking at getting a nissan frontier (supercharged of course grin.gif) and am not sure if a bike would fit into the back of a short bed or not. They make a long bed, but I don't know if I like the look of it. I just sold my bike and plan on buying a 520 EXC in the spring. Can someone please measure a simillar bike to see what minimum bed length would be required to fit it in there. I guess that would be from the very front most edge of the front tire to the contact patch of the rear tire.

TIA Guys!

Mike

------------------

2000 WR400F - Throttle stop shortened, Grey Wire Cut, Filter Cover Removed, Panoram Computer. MNevitt@OffroadToyStore.com . Feel Free to chat: Yahoo IM nevitt33, AOL IM Nevitt 33

[This message has been edited by Thumper33 (edited October 17, 2001).]

ok, here's what I know...

Short Bed Length - 56.3"

Bike Wheelbase - 57.3"

I'm thinking that they measure the bed length with the tailgate up, so maybe if you put the tailgate down you'd have the room...

Maybe?

Ok, wheelbase is measured from axle to axle. I think you are more concerned about overall length. On a KTM if you measure from the front of the front wheel to tip of the rear fender, you’ll find it to be 7’6”. I took this measurement because I have a van and need to know if the whole bike would fit inside or not. You need to know the distance from the front of the front wheel to the rear axle. That will be the minimum length you need.

I have an 01 Nissan Frontier 4 door pickup with a SHORT bed on it, and my 02 KTM 520 fits fine in the back. There is about 4 inches left until the rear tire would fall out of the back...

I worried about the same thing when I bought it, but I measured and thought it would work.

It does.... smile.gif

No problem, it is the perfect size, and the truck is awesome.....

Thanks Dr. S...

Do you have the king cab or the crew cab? I know the crew cab is what I"m looking at and the bed is that much shorter. Just making sure. You don't have to put it in diagonally do you? So you could fit 2 bikes if you wanted to right? Also, about the frontier... anything bad to say about it?

I had a 2oo1 4 door nissan frontier (short bed)and it was great except for the terrible gas mileage. Two bikes fit in it fine, with the tail gate down, but you can't use the wraparound tailgate extender with the bikes in back. One other thing... the truck sits pretty low in the back with two bikes in back and makes the truck handle a little squirly. I personally would try the Toyota 4 door for comparison before you decide to buy. Erik

Do you have the king cab or the crew cab?

4 Door

I know the crew cab is what I"m looking at and the bed is that much shorter. Just making sure. You don't have to put it in diagonally do you?

No

So you could fit 2 bikes if you wanted to right?

Easy

Also, about the frontier... anything bad to say about it?

I love it, but it only gets about 21 mpg. I have the auto. He's right, it does get a little low in the rear with 500 + lbs of bike back there, but mine doesn't get squirly.

Again I have the auto "tows 5000 lbs" The standard only tows 3000 lbs. There may be a difference in the rear suspension?

Normally I don't like cars or trucks... They are a necessary evil. I LOVE MY NISSAN TRUCK. I just got rid of a 99 F150 extended to get it. "11mpg on the Ford"

I have always liked nissan trucks, but they were too ugly "sorry for those of you who have them" for me untill this new body with the 4 doors... I love it...

ps... did I mention how much I like my truck?? smile.gif

Yeah, bad thing about the Nissan's is they last forever, so you don't have any excuses to get rid of them and get a new set of wheels. Nissan sells an extention rails for thier pick ups that looks pretty trick and will go around the back tire of the 520 with the tailgate down. I seen them at a Nissan dealer in Ontario, CA.

Just realized that Dr. S must have the Crew cab if he's got the 4 door.

Thanks a lot guys. That's pretty much what I wanted to know. The frontier looks like a great truck...