tt-r 230 good for me?

a 230 will be good but you may tire of it quickly depending on how aggressive you ride. I am 6'2" 180 and I ride a 225 and I'm content since I do all trail and desert riding. Only small jumps n such havent bottomed it out yet.

the 250 has 2 to 3 inches more travel then the 230 which has an inch more travel then my 225.

the price would be the next factor i suppose :banghead:

a 230 will be good but you may tire of it quickly depending on how aggressive you ride. I am 6'2" 180 and I ride a 225 and I'm content since I do all trail and desert riding. Only small jumps n such havent bottomed it out yet.

the 250 has 2 to 3 inches more travel then the 230 which has an inch more travel then my 225.

the price would be the next factor i suppose :banghead:

I don't necessarily agree about the torque issue. I've ridden both and own the TT-R225. They both seem to have about the same low end torque. I couldn't wind them both out to get a better feel for top end acceleration though.

The real advantage I see in the Honda is its stability. It feels rock-solid compared to the TT-R. I went with the TT-R for the $1000 price difference I paid. If price weren't a factor, I'd get the Honda. I just prefer the more confidence inspiring posture of it.

• 1 month later...

Huh? if you are 5' 10" the TTR250 would be no problem height wise. I am 5' 8" 165lbs and shaved two inches off the seat and I can touch the ground. Get the 250. Heck, I rode it for 3 months and then wanted a full race bike so I got a KTM, which is an amazing machine. But I still love the TTR and am keeping it as a second bike -- virtually maintenance free. Only downside is that it's a heavy bike to pick up and there are not a lot of aftermarket parts for it. Most of the "what bike to get b/c I have never ridden before" posts are TTR250 vs. WR250. You should do a search. If you are truly a beginner, get the TTR250 -- it is very forgiving to ride. If you are confident that you will "grow into" the bike, get a WR250 or other full on race bike in the 250 four-stroke class. I would have started with a WR but for the height issue and I have no regrets. At 5' 10", height should not be a major factor on any of these bikes.

• 3 years later...

the ttr 230 is a good trail machine. it has good power. u can pick up the revs from barly staying on to tyre spinning revs up any hillthe crf 230 is about the same, ttr a little bit better as a package, but also consider this-

red faded is pink

blue faded is blue

Whoa, a 4 year old resurrected post! Nice.

In my garage it seems faded blue is white; Yamaha plastic is notorious - at least the way I crash - for having white streaks.

the ttr 230 is a good trail machine. it has good power. u can pick up the revs from barly staying on to tyre spinning revs up any hillthe crf 230 is about the same, ttr a little bit better as a package, but also consider this-

red faded is pink

blue faded is blue

Both the TTR and the CRF are great bikes for beginners, but I agree with what others have said...you will want more as your riding improves, thus I would recommend a 250. The disadvantage of these bikes is their suspension. unless you are willing to spend big $$$, you will always be one step behind. My girlfriend rides the 08 TTR125 and it goes places you could not imagine, its reliable and bulletproof, a real little work horse. My take on the CRF/TTR is that I have ridden both but in my opinion the CRF is more of a mans bike where the TTR is more for Ladies and younger kids. If you spend a few $`s on these bikes with pipes, jetting kits ect, they can be real great bikes. A mate finished the 07 Roof of Africa, on a TTR230, and the Roof race is classified as one of the hardest off road rides in the world, so yes, in the right hands and with a few mods, both the 230`s can be good bikes...just not really great bikes.