Unbelievable day (story)

What a great day this has been!!

I go to bed about 4am. Wake up at 8:30 or so. Crap, 4 and a half hours of sleep! Have a Hare Scamble today!! Ungh.

Well, we go to the track. When you sign in, you get a little blue slip, you fill out name, address, and such, and they draw a name every week to win a motorcycle that was donated. Last race, it was a 2001 RM125. This week, a Yamaha TT-R90.

Well, my dad and I are readying up to go to the start. WAY across the parking area. I hear my name. I thought it was a registration problem. NOPE!! I won the freaking bike!!!!!! It was unbelievable!! I ride the big orange beast across the whole area, up to the top of the jump where the bike and the give-a-way-ers are standing.

COOL! The guy says over the mike, "Now all this guy's gotta do is go out and win his race! And he just may with this nice bike! (pointing to my 520)." I say "I had a better chance of winning the BIKE than I do of winning the race!" I generally finished 12-16th in the 250B class. of 30-40 riders. OK, but not great. Since I got my KTM, I have finished 9th, and 6th in the Open B class of the usual 18-20. Not bad I guess.

Well anyway, we are on the line..."RIDERS READY!!.................................*Horn blows*."

I dash around to the left side, swing my leg over, and whap down on the starter, she fires first kick - not the first time she's done that. Well, I pop the clutch, and I see a Yamaha 426 on my right, about 40 feet ahead, and 50 or so to my right. I see another blue streak over there, and I see a rainbow out of my peripheral. I am about 7th. I shift into 2nd, and PIN it. I see the rainbow disappear, as well as one of the two blue bikes thats way out to my side. I stay on the gas, and just line up for the 1st turn. I tap the rear, set her sideways, grab clutch, and hope. The lone blue bike vanishes, and I secure an inside line. Soon as I hit the loamy stuff, the clutch flys. The 520 shoots out. HOLESHOT!! My 1st holeshot ever! I screw up the next left 180 degree berm, and miss it. The Blue bike sneaks inside and gets 2 bike lenths away. We cross, and he sets up for the inside berm, I set up for the outside berm...which will also send me over a flat double. I air it out and get right beside him. We dice for a bit, and finally, he spins out when we get to a HARD flat 180 turn area. Half way though the 5 mile course. I get by, and have the lead. A few minutes later, we come to a little double (30-35 feet mabey). I single it, as I never tried it before. He doubles it, and passes me. CRAP! (I make my mind up from then on to do it, and do, turns out it's a piece of cake!) I stay with him, and eventually, he spins out AGAIN, and stalls. We are alone up front, by a fairly good margin. I stay concentrated, and lead the 1st lap in! Thinkin...*Man I don't believe this!!!!!*

I look back at the scoring barrels. NO ONE. Not in SIGHT. *WHOA!* Go 3 more laps, then I start to tire. I've dumped it once, and stalled once....arms are hurting, hands are hurting. 2 more laps, still no one in sight behind me. *OK, kick it into cruise. You only had about 1/3 a liter of fuel left after last race, don't wanna run out.*

1 lap later, I see the original blue bike, and another KTM. Same color sticker as mine....my class, *NUTS!*. I'm really hurting now, as my arms are toasting, and my hands ache. Fuel low, and no white flag yet!!

8th lap, come through the barrels. WHITE FLAG!! The Blue bike and KTM are about 30 seconds in back now. 1 lap left. Fuel...???????

I hunker down and just keep reminding myself that this is MY race. I am the one in the lead....don't let them intimidate you by closing in. I step it up a notch, figuring this IS the white flag, I need to push it. Stay focused, but make your body hurt. I'm making small mistakes as I am so tired, surely you all know the feeling. Half way through the lap, they are only 10 seconds or so back. I can hear their exhaust. Almost done with lap, and they are closing up even more. I am trying to put a few lappers in between us as we are coming to a slow, one line tight area, hoping they will get held up. Well, they make it through as they are so close. I think 7 long, 180 degree S-turns, then a loose rocky area, and thats it. As I come out of a turn, they are in it. 5 seconds max. I know if I can make it to the final straight with the 75 foot flat double, and the last two big berms, I can get it. I come out on top, somehow, as I approach the double. 3rd gear, hit the gas. *whoosh*, sails out. Stand, downshift, lay her over, gas it, straighten her up,gas it, lay her down, gas it, stand up GAS IT. I come through the barrels about 10 seconds ahead. The flat double secured it. Not many do it, I dunno why I can and not some 35ers. Go figure. 1st place!! My first win!! I am COLD and shaking I was so nervous. Had it been 1 more lap, I woulda run out of fuel in about 3 minutes. I drained it and checked. A few more turns, and they probably would have gotten me. I am not believing it.

What a great day!!!!!! For you guys who win alot, man it feels good, now I know what I always hear about how sweet it feels!! It really does feel sweet!

Next week, I'll probably be lucky to do a top 6....time will tell.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

------------------

'01 KTM 520 SX

'95 KX 250 FOR SALE!!! -asking $2000 with decent amount of plastics/decals, parts!!

AMA Dist 6 Member

Hare Scramble Class B #523

Chris, congrats on the win. So, what kind of bike did you win?

GOOD STORY!!! grin.gif

Congrats! ( feels good don't it wink.gif )

It's a 2001 or 2002 Yamaha TT-R90. Not sure what year it is, don't have all the paperwork yet. 89cc air cooled 4 stroke engine. It's got front and rear drums, 3.7" and 4.3" suspention travel rear/front respectively. Semi-auto 3 speed tranny. I was considering using it as a pit bike, but I could really rather use the money! May try to sell it.

Any takers? smile.gif

ttr3.jpg

ttr90.art

ttr901.art

Last race they gave away a 2001 RM 125 (think thats in the story)...I would have LOVED to have a 125! Never ridden one!

I hope I can feel that awesome bubble again. I don't remember much of my surroundings during the race, just concentration.

...and Thanks!

------------------

'01 KTM 520 SX

'95 KX 250 FOR SALE!!! -asking $2000 with decent amount of plastics/decals, parts!!

AMA Dist 6 Member

[This message has been edited by Chris Slade (edited October 21, 2001).]

Good Day, Good Story

If you can win one you can win more, keep it up

------------------

(AMA, Dist.36, BRC) Lifetime Memberships

well done man, that was a cool story! Hope to experience the same feeling..... in about 5 to 10 years!

Congratulations.

This story give hope

wink.gif

------------------

'99 WR400 F, YZ exhaust, throttle stop trimmed, WR timing, airbox cover removed

Way to go, Chris. Sounds like an awesome day, alright. One suggestion, though. Start in 2nd gear. You're bike will pull it easily and it'll save you a shift at a critical time.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

Chris,

Hey, congrats on winning the TTR90. I was getting dressed and I heard you

won the bike. I was looking for u after the race but couldnt find you. As

we were leaving the parking lot I heard them anounce your name for, I think

4 stroke B. I raced an 2001 ATK 250 in the 250 B class (finished 3rd). I was in about second in the holeshot then someone

tboned me in the first corner so I had to work back through the pack.

Incase you forgot who I am, we were talking about going up to montrose to MX573 a while back.

Congrats

Nick

Wow, I know I saw you! I was sitting on the bike at the line and saw an ATK right in front of me. I thought to myself, that you don't see many of them around! Green Sticker, so yeah, 250B class! I was in the wave that went off right behind you.

My memory is too short to remember anything about going to MX573. My dad, and uncle and I are thinking about going up the day after Thanksgiving, if they are still open. Hafta check out the web site and make sure. I'll try to remember and e-mail you or post something here if you like! mx573.com

I am gonna try the 2nd gear start I guess. I definitely do lose a few feet for the shift, I'm just worried about hurting something. I started in 2nd gear at Piston Poppers TT scrambles, and she's got a bit of a delay off the line. I think I figured my delay wasn't as bad being in first shifting to 2nd. I am contemplating adding a tooth to the rear, as the gearing is stock. That would probably help a bit. smile.gif

------------------

'01 KTM 520 SX

AMA Dist 6 Member

Chris,

Shawn Bohannon (from the YZ side) and I will be at Pine Grove again next weekend. Tell me if your gonna be there Id like to meet ya. Im always up for a trip to montrose. I also found another track that may be a little closer for u.

Nick

I will be there! I go to all the Hare Scrambles. My dad and I usually get there around 12:00-12:20. We have been parking on the far side, across the street. Silver Chevy 1500 towing a burgundy trailer. It has our numbers and names on the back in big letters. My dad is on a '00 YZ426, #47. I am #523, obviously on a KTM 520. I have green riding gear, as I had raced my KX...have not yet made the switch to orange. May have to soon....my pants are ripped to shreds in spots!

I'll keep an eye out smile.gif

ALmost forgot too, my rad. shrouds, I have Thumpertalk.com decals. Shouldn't be too hard to spot.

------------------

'01 KTM 520 SX

AMA Dist 6 Member

[This message has been edited by Chris Slade (edited October 22, 2001).]

Just slip the clutch until it's hooked up and driving on the 2nd gear starts. It works great for me. I know guys that start in 3rd, too.

------------------

John Brunsgaard

jejb@att.net

01 400 EXC, 99 250 EXC (gone), 99 200 EXC, 98 125 EXC, 98 380 MXC (long gone)

Chris, for MX I went to a 50T on the rear. It works much better in tight corners than the stock 48T. I find that I only have to shift out of 3rd for one really tight (and soft) section of my local track. But since I'm getting faster, I'm thinking for one section I may have to shift into 4th. But, I'm going to stick with the 50T in the rear. Later - Tom

Chris,

Well I missed u again. How did u finish? And your dad?

Nick

Hi!! I know, we had to park in the main area. I was constantly scanning around. I saw the guy with the ATK, but he didn't see me. Oh well. We will still be there Nov. 11th.

I ended up 6th. I was dead last off the line, took 3 kicks to fire. I thought I was around 10th, as I got passed by like 4 people on lap 5. Being I actually got 6th though, means I WAS running 2nd or 3rd....so I really cannot be disappointed with a 6th :D Just an off day, ya know? Still got my 9 laps, too, so thats good. I could tell I wasn't pushing it as hard....usually my hands hurt from trying to hold on, they didn't at all. Just means I wasn't gassing it enough.

My dad had an even worse day! He got a great start, and ended up 16th....there was a guy from the 250B class stalled at the little double after the step-up in the 1st motocross area. Dad went to double it, and the guy got fired up as soon as dad cleared it. Clipped his front wheel and flip him all over the rocks! :) He was stuck there until EVERY WAVE went by, and it was quiet he said a good 5 minutes (trying to start the 426). He then got taken out again, and was stuck for another 5 or so. It was his birthday too, so it just figures it couldn't go well for him.

How did you guys manage? What class do you run also? If you start before me, I can look for you coming into the first few turns....so I know who to look for then. If you go off behind me, look for a lone KTM to go over the first flat double....I always do it on the first lap, to get a few spots, I don't know of any others that do it in our class, especially on the first lap.

I'll be in all orange (maybe still my green helmet though), as I have an order from FOX coming in today. I'll also be running a set of 18mm offset clamps courtesy of a fellow Thumpertalker, so I have NO CLUE what to expect from myself next race....

Hope to see you there!

:D

Chris,

Glad to hear you had a successful day and sorry to hear about your dads mishaps. Ill be there for the next race. We usually park right next to the bleachers. Could be in a black Toyota or a Maroon Ford with a Jennings ATV trailer. I ride in 250 B with a 2001 ATK 250. I think we are lined up right in front of your class. I got the holeshot and led the first three laps but the lack of exercise and excess of beer from the days before caught up to me after that. I finished third. Oh well theres always next time.

Nick

OH! LOL, I didn't remember YOU were the one with the ATK!! :) I try to start on the left side of the track (i was on your left at the start, the wave right behind you).

Chris,

How did you do last weekend?? I live about 20 min from mx573 maybe ill get some friends to go up next friday.

Nick

Hi!

I got shafted, to say the least. I did some stupid things, and they bit me.

First though, I think I saw you on the line. I saw the ATK, ad I was at the end of our wave....I pulled up a bit, hoping you'd catch the TTalk decal on my shrouds.....

Did you see my dad on the line? He was the LAST 426 to leave the line in the wave in front of the 250B class. He had trouble kicking...being so short :D THe box he uses helps alot though. He was the whole way against the fence.

I got a 2nd kick start, but was about 3/4 of the way back. I passed alot of people before the 1st turn, but I went to tap the rear brake, and she just started sliding. I had forgotten I turned my tire around, and the braking edges were more like braking nubs. I couldn't slow down, and slammed sideways into some guy. He yelled, (of which he had every right to....I srewed up and almost took us both down). Coming out of the third turn, for the flat double, I went the whole way to the outside, and saw three people ROLLING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was not pleased to see three people rolling this jump, as that kept me from making any ground up at all. Infact, I lost many spots! ANother mistake. I should have been able to anticipate and see them there, and take the main line. BUT, if this jump is not the main line, and you are not going to jump it STAY OFF OF IT!!!!!!! Especially on the start!! :) Oh well.....

My forks had gone leaking the week before, and I found a messed up piece in it. I don't believe they were working well, as I actually pulled off the track, because I was concerned of it coming apart...they felt that weird. They were WAY too soft, and just not working well. I found one of my seals had gone leaing AGAIN, so I was riding one leg with minimal oil.....hense the big handling problem. Oh well. First time with the KTM I actually had problems, and I didn't get 9 laps. Finished 9th place, and with 8 laps. :D

How did you guys do? Like I said, I saw the ATK on the line again. :D

IT depends on if I get my forks working really, as to if we will be going to MX573. They said they will be open that weekend, but it's the last one. We've been in draught conditions for what...months now? HOOPEFULLY it can keep us dry for this next week eh? It would be about our luck though, the day we go, it will snow or rain...