Should I??

Hi guys,

I'm looking to turn orange. I currently ride a 00 426. The bike is too much of a handfull on the track I ride regularly(3 times a week). between the weight and brutal powerband, it's too much for me on the super tight supercross style track. All of the fastest guys out there are on 125's. I'm not going to that extreme because I still love open trail ridding also, which the 426 I awesome for. I want something that is a little easier to handle and weighs a little less. I'm considering the 02 400sx. What do you guys think? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have never ridden a KTM before, and that's a lot of money to gamble, but for some reason I just love those bikes!

Thanks,

Amador

super tight track? YZF250 son, YZF250. okay, now blow me away with all your objective comments, im ready!

I considered that also, but I'm 185 lbs, and I rode my freinds on the track it was great, but is is too underpowered for open trails and hill-climbing. Thanks for the feedback.

Amador

If you find a bike with SMOOTH open class power for trail riding that is manageable on tight MX tracks..... LET ME KNOW! grin.gif

I have a 520MXC set up for off-road and a YZ250 for track. Track bike is too stiff, power is too quick and gearing too low for trail riding ( the YZ actually wouldn't be bad, much better than my '00CR250). I've Moto'd the 520 and it's a handful on the track due to its weight and turning ( actually "lack" of turning ), NOT the power, power is great, but it turns like the Titanic compared to the YZ. You won't be taking any inside lines on the 520 with the stock triple clamps..... I talked to John Dowd at the US Open, in his opinion, the 18mm triple clamps are a big help. He tried 16's but settled on 18mm.

I guess if I could only have ONE bike... I'd take a 520SX put 18mm triple clamps, IMS tank with EXC shrouds and seat for off road, a Scott's dampener and mod the tranny to six speed. You could start with the MXC but 14 pounds is a lot of baggage for MX and the 520 is an easy starter. SX gets you better suspension as well.

OBTW - I had a YZ400, ANY of the KTM RFS bikes have WAY easier to ride power compared to the Yamathumpers. The KTM's also carry their weight lower so they "feel" lighter and don't try to "stand up" when you hit a berm! All that AND easy to start!

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'01 520 MXC

'01 200 MXC

'02 YZ250P

'01 KX85

[This message has been edited by Chris in the Mojave (edited October 23, 2001).]

Thanks Chris,

Yeah I know that there is not on bike that does everything the best. I'm just looking for a good compromise. From what I understand the 400sx is a bit esier to fight around the track than the 520. And it has a 5sp gearbox, so it will go fast, just won't get there as quickly as a 520. I'm just wondering how good of a bike it is? Every article is written on the 520, the 400 is kind of an orphan. It never gets any press.

I believe the 400sx has a 6 speed box. wink.gif

The weight of the 400 and 520 is within a pound... the delivery of the 520 is very "electric". I know the guys with the 400 like'm and I'm not tring to "dis" their rides...but for WESTERN off road, I think you'd like to have the power of the 520 on tap. I think the 400 would feel weak compared to the 426.... I'm not saying you wouldn't be "faster" or "fresher" on the 520 than the 400... but if we're talking best "all around" out West... I just think you'd be happier with the 520 - IMHO I've had the Yamathumper and the KTM style of power is WAY nicer and less tireing to begin with....

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'01 520 MXC

'01 200 MXC

'02 YZ250P

'01 KX85

The KTM MXC(with electric start) is about the same weight as the Yamaha YZ-426F. It "feels" much lighter...not as light as a 250 two stroke...but if your coming off a 426, it's going to feel great. One of the SX bikes are lighter still, so that would feel even better!....The SX's are within a few pounds of the new "Wonder Thumper" CRF.

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'01 520 MXC

'01 200 MXC

'02 YZ250P

'01 KX85

I ride a 2000 ktm 400sx 4-speed on tight sx style tracks all the time except for really tight turns it works good.I think with 18mm clamps it might be even better.The bike dosen't tire me out at all. thanks goat

I have a 2001 400sx(6-speed) and I am not trying to boast here, but the fact is that I

regularly beat guys on 520's and yamaha 4-strokes, as well as two strokers. I still don't know why people say that the 400sx is slow turning, 'cause I can cut an inside line on any bike (except a 125, or smaller bike. with an EQUAL or better rider) The triple clamps don't make much if any noticeable difference on the 400. The 520

is much more noticeable , since the rotating mass of the engine makes the bike turn slower. I had a wr-400, and the KTM is so much better, it's not even funny. As far as hill climbs and power issues, I have video

of me working over a 520 on a straightaway at Star West during one of my races, and hill climbs are no problem either. I say get the 400sx and start your trophy collection, you won't regret it! Erik

Thanks Erik! I think that is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted someone who has first hand knowledge of the bike. Much appreciated.

Chris

As in any racing endeavor it's 80% pilot, 20% machine... My guess is Eric is a fast guy! grin.gif

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'01 520 MXC

'01 200 MXC

'02 YZ250P

'01 KX85

Thanks Chris! Actually, I "WAS" getting faster, but I ate it BIG TIME at Comp Park

two weeks ago, and got a broken rib, a 3rd degree shoulder separation(severe), and a gnarly hematoma on my whole left leg from the top of my butt cheek all the way down to my foot. I am out of comission for at least

eight weeks, but probably more like 12 weeks. (Just for the record, I ripped holeshots in both my motos.I won my first moto and was leading my second moto, but with a lap and a half to go, I had severe arm pump and landed a double jump with my thumb accidently pushing down on the throttle WIDE OPEN off the following single

jump and with my hands totally cramped up I couldn't let go in time. I launched off the jump 25 feet in a flying "W" and flat landed right into the side of a berm shoulder first.)

Anyway,I hope I remember how to ride when I start back again. Thank God the bike is so easy to ride, it should make getting back to speed a pretty quick ordeal. Erik

[This message has been edited by So Cal Erik (edited October 24, 2001).]

Thanks again chris,

How noticable is the weight difference between the yammi and the ktm?

OUCH!!!!!!!

I've got a pin in the right shoulder...I can relate!!!! Hope it all heals well! grin.gif

I've been so pumped up I couldn't pull the clutch. smile.gif

I'm racing the ROTMX Nationals this weekend on my YZ250 at Sunrise. 3 Moto's day one, 2 on day two....hope all this Mountain bike riding pays off ;-)

It's funny how riding MX goes from being "skills limited" to being "fitness limited"...back and forth!!! Right now I can go hard for the whole moto, I just wish I could figure out how to go FAST! LOL!

Get well soon! grin.gif

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'01 520 MXC

'01 200 MXC

'02 YZ250P

'01 KX85

I will tell you first hand.....

I own a 2000 exc 400 and it does not tire me on long nasty trails.

you first must decide what you are going to use it for.

I strictly ride tight trails and maybe once or twice a year at the moto x track.

my 400 is easy to start, somewhat light wieght in comparison to the other thumpers.

I've ridden a yzf426,yzf400,xr400,drz400,sx520.

Now the 520 had sweet power but seemed to be a hand full in the trees. mind you it was set up for moto x.

A 520 exc geared for tight trees would be excelent but could have a possable chance of being a handfull. that depends on how agressive you ride.

Ahhhhhhhhh the key word in the above sentance "agressive"!!!!!!!!!

if you ride agressive the 520 has more potential for accidents.

on the other hand if you ride a 125 agressive there is a chance of accidents but I feel less accidents and muscle fatigue would occur riding the 125.

therefore I must say there is no rider that would not benifit from the overall package of the 400exc.

if you ride trees and moto the mxc would be it.

and for moto x the sx would be it but for moto x i would get a 520.

I hope my experience helps you.

Chris, I can relate to the "fitness/skill/fitness..." thing. I am trying to stay as in shape as possible, but is so frustrating just knowing that my competition is getting practice time while I'm rotting away on my couch. I have the Over the Hill Gang Nationals at Glen Helen this weekend, and I am just going to line up on the start and ride 50 feet over to the finish line and cross the finish on the checkered flag. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I need to finish up the season in good points standing. Anyway, I hope all goes well

for you this weekend, maybe when I'm all better you can show me some good fun Mojave riding spots! Maybe Bean canyon? Erik

Hi guys,

I have a question for you KTM guys. I have a 250f and I love it. But I keep wondering if the 400sx might be a better mouse trap. The reason I love my 250f is the light weight and incredible handling, and the power, both in spread and the way it comes on is the icing on the cake. I might also add that I am 6'4" and 250ish. Unlike Amador, I feel this bike has plenty of power for off road,I race it all the time and also have passed many bikes, including a 520 in the sand wash ta Glen Helen.

Now with that said, how does the 400 stack up against the 250f? On paper it would seem a good match up.Same things that I like about the 250f only more. Light weight, good managable power, but the handling is what scares me. I had a 300 exc in 97 and I never good get a consistent feel for cornering that bike. It was very hard to hit the same lines on every lap. I wonder if the 400 has the same feeling? Also, is there a good suspension shop for these bikes? At my weight I would need help.

Thanks, mxbundy