Sprocket choice & wear

Just replaced the chain and sprockets after 2000km of trail only work...mostly wet, muddy-ish trails.

The dealer stings baaad when replacing with Genuine KTM rear spocket (cost me $90 Ozmoney) - what do you guys use?

Also, went thru two joining links over the life of the chain...this normal?

Thanks in advance,

Gary

In muddy and wet conditions 2000km is not an unnormal wear.

The only thing you can do is clean the xhain after riding (high pressure) and lube with a good chain lube. now and then you can clean it with kerosine and a nylon brush.

Don't tighten the chain to much in muddy conditions, mud between the chain and the sprockets will cause tensions which can accelerate the wear.

If you really ride in bad conditions you can chose a steel rear sprocket.

About the wear of of the joining links, check the chain guides (around the susp. arm and under the sprocket), one of them could be the cause of an excessive joining link wear. wink.gif

------------------

'99 WR400 F, YZ exhaust, throttle stop trimmed, WR timing, airbox cover removed

Originally posted by Gary Martin:

Just replaced the chain and sprockets after 2000km of trail only work...mostly wet, muddy-ish trails.

The dealer stings baaad when replacing with Genuine KTM rear spocket (cost me $90 Ozmoney) - what do you guys use?

Also, went thru two joining links over the life of the chain...this normal?

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Gary make sure your chain is adjusted properly - the manual is wrong - see this link http://www.holeshotforum.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000296.html

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

Anyone try the Sidewinder Stainless sprockets? I think I am going to go to a Stainless Steel sprocket when mine wears out. ALso, I just saw a test in MXA for the Sidewinder Stainless Chain. Said it is virtually indestructable (as is the stainless sprocket). Cost is approximately $120 sprocket / $130 chain, but if it lasts nearly FOREVER as MXA claims it should...thats a no brainer.

They also say nothing under an Open bike should try to use the Stainless chain, it is so beefy and heavy. 125's are bogged down by it. 250's manage, but open 2 and 4 strokes are what it was designed for. THey tested it on the 520....no wear.

------------------

'01 KTM 520 SX

'95 KX 250 FOR SALE!!! -asking $2000 with decent amount of plastics/decals, parts!!

AMA Dist 6 Member

Hare Scramble Class B #523

Sidewinder is SNAKE OIL....

If you check their website, now they'll tell you Ti sprockets are the only way to go and that SS bends!

Want long lasting steel sprockets? Try Sunstar, you can get 3 or 4 for the price of one "Sidewinder"... I've got to stop...Sidewinder gets me wound UP! LOL!!!

Bottom Line - Sidewinder is a marketing scam.

Buy a Sunstar Steel and a good O ring chain, it'll last you a long time! grin.gif

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'01 520 MXC

'01 200 MXC

'02 YZ250P

'01 KX85

Want lang lasting sprockets in Oz? Get one from Chain Gang. After 2000ks, the paint has barely worn off. They are the sh!t.

Originally posted by Chris in the Mojave:

Bottom Line - Sidewinder is a marketing scam.

another scam is Engine Ice.

my friends son is doing a serious science project on engine coolants and so far in 24 tests, Engine Ice is dead last in ALL of them.

sunruh,

I would be interested in hearing more about the experiment.

Share the details!

Ive just clocked 1050 kms in varying conditions on a 02 520 EXC and Im onto my 2nd master link and the teeth on the countershaft sprocket are starting to hook although chain stectch is minimal. Ran Chain Gang sprockets on a 1998 620 SC with excellent results.

Originally posted by SUnruh:

another scam is Engine Ice.

my friends son is doing a serious science project on engine coolants and so far in 24 tests, Engine Ice is dead last in ALL of them.

How bout Red-Line watter wetter? Hopefully he's testing that as well - great stuff.

------------------

TBob

"01" KTM 520 EXC

Mesa, AZ

Originally posted by Jon-D:

sunruh,

I would be interested in hearing more about the experiment.

Share the details!

here is some of the data:

1:

Distilled Water Prestone Engine Ice

Moto 1 169.0 171.7 173.5

Moto 2 169.1 173.1 172.8

Moto 1 176.8 185.1 186.4

Moto 2 179.2 185.5 185.5

Moto 1 187.0 184.1 187.0

Moto 2 184 185.7 189.5

Moto 1 185.7 186.6 187.2

Moto 2 184.3 187.1 188.1

so it actually looks like in ONE situation the EI was cooler. one in 24.

i wanted to have him test WaterWetter and also the Royal Purple additive, but the boy had already submitted his writeup on what he was gonna test. this is for 9th grade and so not the biggest set of sample you could hope for. what it does show is that EI may be cooling the engine, but then it is not dissipating that heat to the radiators and is retaining that heat. not exactly what they claim now is it. how does an engine run cooler if the coolant is hotter?

[This message has been edited by SUnruh (edited October 24, 2001).]