NEED HELP...Oil Question

OK, so upto now I've had my 2004 Honda CRF250R since April.

Done a valve inspection and reshimmed.

I change my oil and filter after every ride.

I think it must have at least 35 hours on it of pretty hard amateur abuse.

I changed the oil and filter the last two times and I can only get 300ml of the 690ml I'm putting in out in the last two oil services.

I've done no engine work to it as such yet...

Seems to pull fine still good power, but must be burning oil pretty rapid...

Or is it something else?

What is wrong? :banghead:

What do I need to replace? :applause:

Regards

Honda0001

OK, so upto now I've had my 2004 Honda CRF250R since April.

Done a valve inspection and reshimmed.

I change my oil and filter after every ride.

I think it must have at least 35 hours on it of pretty hard amateur abuse.

I changed the oil and filter the last two times and I can only get 300ml of the 690ml I'm putting in out in the last two oil services.

I've done no engine work to it as such yet...

Seems to pull fine still good power, but must be burning oil pretty rapid...

Or is it something else?

What is wrong? :banghead:

What do I need to replace? :applause:

Regards

Honda0001

My 04 X model used oil almost every ride. I checked it regularly, adding a little every time. I just changed the piston (actually went to 270cc) and the piston looked fine.

Soooo.... some bikes use oil (talk to BMW owners!) and some don't. Just check it every ride and never let it get low. I would not worry.

My wife's 04 CRF250 uses oil also. If she rides it for 2 hours, I usually have to add 200 - 300 cc's of oil to bring it back up to full. I have read posts that the ring didn't seat properly and this is the cause of the burning oil. Supposedly you have to flog these bikes pretty hard when you break them in instead of putting around on them. My wife was pretty easy on her bike at first because that is how I have always broke in new motors previously. I'm gonna put on a new ring and have the cylinder honed and then have her ride the crap out of it right off the bat.

Ok, my next ride will probably be my last for this season since the weather sort of goes bad after mid September.

So I'm going over my bike in the winter pretty much everything, clutch, engine, bearings, plastics kit, chain and sprockets, tyres, etc etc.

I'll have one more ride then go from there,

I guess I'll just have to keep checking the oil level at the track.

My 250x use a little oil every time i ride and i broke my bike in pretty damn hard. I took the bike to a honda service guy my first time to get the valves adjusted and he told me by the looks of things i broke my bike in to hard :banghead:. Whatever the hell that means......

Oh yeah, I don't know if people realize that "break it in hard" doesn't mean banging off the rev limiter. Load and therefore cylinder pressure are what you're after. Revving the hell out of it in neutral only loads the rod, not the rings. Wide open throttle or reasonably close to it starting at a moderate RPM and going up, then engine braking, are what you want.