Recent Convert from YZF 426

I am now the proud owner of a 01 KTM 520 EXC. I still have my YZF 426 though.... My initial impressions are I'm impressed! The quality in engineering is superb. Power is great and smooth. I switched to the Katoom becuase I wanted a better woods weapon, and boy does it handle in the woods. It is so agile. The brakes are awsome. This bike does'nt wear me out in the woods near like the 426. The suspension does seem alittle stiff and harsher than I expected, maybe it just needs a little break-in time. The gearing seems almost perfect for woods work. I also tried a little MX for grins and it shined there also. Very easy to jump. I did have a few questions for you veteran KTMers:

1) Engine noise, it seems to clatter when idling. Is this normal?

2) Compression and rebound on fork: My adjusters seem to work the same direction as my jap bike, I thought that they were supposed to be opposite?

3) Will the front forks ever lose their harshness, is this just due to being new?

Thanks for any info you can send my way.

Don

Don,

I came from a super trick 98 YZ 400, and love the 520 EXC. The 400 had a lot of suspension work done, and was perfect. The 520 is close after breaking it in.

Some answers.

1) Engine noise, it seems to clatter when idling. Is this normal?

Normal, the clutch is noisey.

2) Compression and rebound on fork: My adjusters seem to work the same direction as my jap bike, I thought that they were supposed to be opposite?

The shock compression is the one that is backwards.

3) Will the front forks ever lose their harshness, is this just due to being new?

They take a few rides to break in. I rode mine full soft for the first few rocky rides, now about in the middle.

Good luck with the katoom!!

:)

Congrats on the new bike! I came from a WR400 and have the exact comments as you. Answers:

1. Clatter is normal at idle - it should go away with the clutch pulled in. Guess it is just gear lash or something as all KTM's (2 and 4 stroke) seem to do it.

2. Fork adjusters are "normal". The "odd" one is the shock compression adjuster - counter clockwise is harder, clockwise is softer. I believe the '02 bikes have that switched to "normal".

3. I weigh 165 and for woods riding I have backed the compression off quite a few clicks (don't remember how many) and then increased the rebound to keep from bouncing all over the place. Took a lot of the harshness out. I have read that switching to 2.5wt oil helps too. I am really impressed with the adjustability of the WP suspension. A couple of clicks makes very noticeable changes.

Enjoy the bike!

Mathew

The shock adjuster for compression on my 02 520EXC is normal just like my WR 400 and Honda XR 650R.

Clark