Sign in to follow this  

250f fork leak

I was helping my buddy change his fork oil. Once we had it all back together and he rode it one of the forks was leaking, did i accidently disturb a seal? If so how hard is it to fix? if not, then what the hell did i do? it was leaking out the bottom. any help would be great cause we need his bike finished before gatorback. thanks

change the seals if they are leaking. You should inspect them before changing fluid cause now you get to do it again.

Before changing them all out, you might try this.

It could be that there is some dirt between the lower seals and the forks, causing the leak. Take a very thin piece of plastic like a film negative or a plastic goggle tear-off and slide it up into the seal and jimmy it around the circumference, pulling it out and wiping it as you go. This should get any dirt and grime out, and may save you from having to do another whole fork job.

There's a really good site showing all this with pics.

http://www.cajunmx.com/forkseal.htm

It worked for me a few weeks ago, to much relief. :banghead::applause:

I was helping my buddy change his fork oil. Once we had it all back together and he rode it one of the forks was leaking,

Did you take the seals off? And if you did when you slipped them back on did you slide them over some celophane? If no to the 1st then trying the film negative deal works sometime

BigO6

this worked for me!! my only concern is if this pushes the dirt up into the fork. qball i owe you a steak or a beer or a day of riding texas style just let me know!!!! :banghead: