What is a good price for a used DR?

Hi, I'm a new member that will probably be around more oftern if I buy this bike :banghead:.

My boss has a '96 DR350xx (It has electric start and is street legal if that helps on the exact model). It has less than 500 miles, is stock and in nearly new condition. He said he would sell it to me, but didn't know what to ask. Nada says average retail is ~$1500 (low retail ~$1100, no mention of high retail). I thought that was low so I was going to offer $2300-$2500, does that sound about right?

There are probably not many '96 bikes left that are this new, so I don't know how much "book" value applies.

Also, is there any reason I should stay away from this particular year/model?

Thanks in advance

Dustin Keers

Generally in a private sale you will pay between NADA wholesale and low retail depending on condition. They are not perfect numbers. I think $2300-2500 is high for a bike that old. Just sitting stuff deteriorates. I found 2 DR650s in weeks after I bought a new one with less than 500 miles and both were less than 3 years old for around $3000.

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm glad to see that this is a pretty active forum. I'm sure I can learn a lot here.

The bike has a new battery in it. I looked in the tank and didn't see any rust (but I can't see the entire inside). The chain does have some rust on it, is it expensive to replace?

I have been looking for a bike around here for a couple weeks with no luck. This bike is really nice, so I don't mind paying top dollar for it, but I don't want to get screwed either. Is there anywhere else I should look for bikes for sale?

thanks again

Dustin

I know the feeling, good luck!

Anything over $1,200 sounded rediculously high for a +/- 10 year old 250-300cc bike to me, but I had NO luck lookinf for months to find such an animal with a clear straightforward title in the Denver area. Wound up (happily) with the only new DR650 I could find at slightly under list and did not pay the prep/dely/setup BS... I could have flown one in from the West Coast by the sound of things!

Galen

$ 1500 is ALL the money for that bike. I'd offer him $ 1000.

This is total BS. I have had 2 dr350s. The first was a '97dr350se (with estart etc) that I sold exactly a year ago for $2300. My current bike is a '98 dirt model with a baja kit...I got a deal on it from a good friend...$1500 was a GIFT. The '96 and newer se regularly sells for $2k+. You'd be doing fine to pay between $1500 and $2300. If you won't pay it, someone else will. These are popular bikes. Make sure you check out the fuel system. A 10 year old bike with 500 miles will have some rotten fuel lines and some crap in the tank and carb. They're great bikes and should run forever

I paid $800.00 for my 96 DR650 and it's in almost mint condition for having 8k mikes on it. The guy never rode it offroad. Not a scratch or spec of dirt on it. The bike was completely stock when I got it, but needed a set of new tires, still a sweet price on a great bike :banghead: