Sign in to follow this  

Tire Brand ?

Ok before you all jump all over me I did use the search feature and had no luck , ok I am getting a new tire tomorrow and was wondering which brand of tire I shouldn't!!!get right now I have a bald MAXXIS SUR CROSS 110-100-18 I would like a more wider tire and one that will last me at least a full ridng season ( my maxxis got chewed up with 2 and a half months ! Thanks alot

That depends a lot on what kind of rider you are and what kind of riding you do, fella. Your bald Maxxis will last all season if you only ride once. If you ride every weekend, nothing will last all season.

Personally I have had great success with Michilen S12 tires. I run the 120/80 rear (same as 110/90) and it holds up very well to my riding style and terrain.

I prefer Michelin myself. I run an MS3 front and rear and it works great for me. I can tell you two tores NOT to buy: any thing made by Kings and the Dunlop 736. I'd almost prefer riding on a bare rim than run those tires.

yeah I ride just about 4 to 5 times a week and a little bit on the road to get to my riding area and all from there is rough logging roads and tight trails with lots of ruts and stuff thanks for the help people

I would guess that you need a hard terrain tire instead of an IT one that you had. Thus the reason for it not lasting like you expected. This will happen with any brand of tire.

The maxxis tires are some of the best. From the sounds of your riding, you should try the HT maxxis.

If you want to swap brands, try the new Dunlop 952 tire. Should be right for your terrain. 110/100 is the largest tire you want to run. The 120 is also taller, thus it will interfer with the fender , swingarm and muffler along with the gearing.

I ride mx mostly but the Kenda Carlsbad lasts and bites. It's an IT but i think they make a tire for harder terrain

BigO6

I ride mx mostly but the Kenda Carlsbad lasts and bites.

BigO6

yeah what he said. they are not expensive

I prefer Michelin myself. I run an MS3 front and rear and it works great for me. I can tell you two tores NOT to buy: any thing made by Kings and the Dunlop 736. I'd almost prefer riding on a bare rim than run those tires.

Thats is what run and like. Cant go wrong with the starcross ms3.

I thought I'd fill yopu guys in with what I got was the Kenda Millville Sticky rear tire it has alot more bitr then my old tire!!! it seems like its starting to wera a bit already though

I thought I'd fill yopu guys in with what I got was the Kenda Millville Sticky rear tire it has alot more bitr then my old tire!!! it seems like its starting to wera a bit already though

Again, you probably bought the wrong tire for the terrain.

Ok before you all jump all over me I did use the search feature and had no luck , ok I am getting a new tire tomorrow and was wondering which brand of tire I shouldn't!!!get right now I have a bald MAXXIS SUR CROSS 110-100-18 I would like a more wider tire and one that will last me at least a full ridng season ( my maxxis got chewed up with 2 and a half months ! Thanks alot

Dude,

your expactations of how long an offroad tire should last is WAY too high. No matter what tire brand you choose, they absolutely will never last "a whole riding season". I have raced for 22 years and have tried virtually EVERY tire out there, and my tire preferance based upon value, wear, and bite are either Maxxis Sure Crosse's, or the Maxxis IT's (depending on what terrain I will be on). Many newbies base a tire purchase on what all their buddies are running (the flavor of the month brand tire). Rocks and pebbles will destroy a tire very quickly (especially if you chose a soft terrain tire, and are riding that tire on the rocks). Miche's and Bridges' are good tires, but pricey IMO. Dunlops are awesome for a short period of time, and the accelerated wear makes them junk. Pirelli's are a great tire, but I started experiencing "chunking" and I haven't run them since in years.

I found a tire there called Dirt Sharks made by GBC.There are cheap 37 bucks for a 100-90-19 and 40 for a 110-90-19.There great on loamy tracks a little slippery in the mud but about as good as a 756 dunlop in the mud.For the money there a good tire .Try one and see what you think Rick

What kind of riding is the Michelin MS3 for? I ride intermediate and some soft terrain with a little bit of rocks. WIll it work good in those conditions?

yes, it will work exceptionally well in these conditions and will last a long time.

IMO, it'd as good a value as the ironman sprocket. You'll pay more but it lasts a long long time and performs well it's entire life.

too many people look for the "perfect" tire, one that never wears out, gets great traction in all types of terrain, and is cheap. they try all different types and never seem to find it.

No they dont last long but i have been using dunlop 752 (and now their replacement, the 756) rears for the last 10 years. i like em. the 756 front wont flat like the 752 front used to, and it works great.

Once you get used to a tire and know how it reacts in any given situation it will make you a much better rider.

:banghead: I can speak from experience that the best tire I have ever owned is a Maxxis MaxxCross IT.I have gotten 15 races out of it and still have about 70% left.All our tracks here in Nebraska are hardpack(like concrete).I have probably 100+ days of riding on it also.I have only tried their rear tire,mainly because when I bought it,the MaxxCross IT front tire was supposed to be terrible,but now they have the SI front.I also know people that have had good luck with Michelin MH2 or MH3s.The IT hooks up all around.The best $45 I ever spent. :banghead:

:lol: I can speak from experience that the best tire I have ever owned is a Maxxis MaxxCross IT.I have gotten 15 races out of it and still have about 70% left.All our tracks here in Nebraska are hardpack(like concrete).I have probably 100+ days of riding on it also.I have only tried their rear tire,mainly because when I bought it,the MaxxCross IT front tire was supposed to be terrible,but now they have the SI front.I also know people that have had good luck with Michelin MH2 or MH3s.The IT hooks up all around.The best $45 I ever spent. :banghead:

I can vouch for this! My riding buddy has a set on his KTM. Those things are awsome! I run Dunlop 756's but never again after seen how these wear! Get MaxxCross IT for sure :banghead:

I right a little everything. I run the Dunlop D756, i have a hard riding style, and i cross roads everynow and then, and like alot of ppl i jus have to spin it a little, atleast, but the tire lasts me a month b4 being bald, dependin on how much road riding, and i ride usually atleast 3-4 times a week. im not changin my brand or tire

Time to throw in my .02. I ride about 8-10 long weekends a year. I also ride our 1/2 mile track on our side yard about 15-20 hours a year with the kids and friends. I've ran S12s, Maxxis SurCross, Bridgestones, 752s, 739s, 756s, and Kenda's. My riding time and terrain is very consistent. Just my experience but the Maxxis was toast in like 2 months. And to back this up I put one on my kid's KX 85 and it lasted 3-4 months max...and he usually gets at least a year out of a tire because of the small displacement. I know everyone is saying you can't get a year/season out of a tire. I quit racing 4 years ago after a nasty crash (broken shoulder, 3 ribs, collasped lung) but still ride the trails, fireroads, etc alot. The past 3 years I've run Kenda's (Millville, Southwick) and I just put on brand new Kenda Trakmaster's on both of our 250fs. My rear tires have lasted through the season with about 50-60% tread left. I'm running the 110/90/19. The Trakmasters are $34 plus $7 shipping form Rockymountain MC. They're 6 ply carcass and DOT approved. They look like a 756 copy...and for the $$$ I can buy another mid year if I'm riding a lot. Hard to beat bang for buck. Everybody's got their favorite; hope you find yours :banghead: