EX/C G models

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Ken Clayton:

OK I found out. Anything in the 8th digit except a 3 or C is green stickie legal in CA. ?

One thing to note on the "G" model is it comes with different jetting than the non-G. If you get one of the "G"s, I highly recommend installing the included needle/pilot before the first ride. As is, the jetting is way too lean, so your new toy will run VERY hot.

Crash

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Ken Clayton:

OK I found out. Anything in the 8th digit except a 3 or C is green stickie legal in CA. ?

Well, that's what I thought too. In fact, I bought a new XR650R from out of state. The California DMV in Sacramento confirmed that if my bike did NOT have a '3' or 'C' in the 8th position of my VIN that I'd get a Green Sticker. I also confirmed this with the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) and CARB (California Air Resources Board). I even downloaded a list of complaint & non-compliant bikes from one of these agencies to make sure everything would be OK with getting my new bike Green Stickered, but after all this comfirmation & verification, the DMV is now telling me another story.

Since I bought my bike from out of state, the CA DMV has to physically inspect it. When they did, they told me that I was missing the CA Emissions label on the rear fender and would NOT register my bike for a Green Sticker because of that. They agreed that my bike was 'probably' compliant because it did not have the '3' or the 'C' in the VIN, but unless they seen the California Emissions sticker on the rear fender, there was no deal on me getting a Green Sticker.

I don't want to scare anyone here, but this is what has happened to me so far in the Peoples Republic of California. I'm still trying to resolve this issue and find a part number for the 'magic sticker' they want to see. I don't know if California KTM's have this sticker, but I went down to the Honda dealer and all their XR's have them.

*** If you are buying your KTM from a California dealer (like Z Racing), then you will probably NOT have the problems I'm having as the bike will be registered by the dealer and it will NOT have to be inspected." ***

Good luck and I hope everything goes smoothly in getting your Green Sticker.

[ November 04, 2001: Message edited by: qadsan ]

Originally posted by qadsan:

*** If you are buying your KTM from a California dealer (like Z Racing), then you will probably NOT have the problems I'm having as the bike will be registered by the dealer and it will NOT have to be inspected." ***

qadsan,

The CA KTM EXCs (400 and 520 "G" model only) come with a "magic" stickie on them, titled "Vehicle Emission Control Information". What I've been told is not only do you get a green stickie in CA, but these bikes cruise through the plating process if you decide to dual-sport them (of course you need the turn signals, horn, blah blah blah). I haven't tried this (yet), so I can't say this is true, but it's encouraging.

By the way, I peeked at a '02 520 EXC at a dealer last week when I was up in WA, and the VIN had a "0" (zero) in the 8th spot, indicating it would get green in CA. However, I did NOT see the "magic" EPA stickie on this bike, so the transfer to CA might be tricky.

Crash

Why dont all of you guys just get your bikes plated in Vermont or Arizona? These states dont even require inspection of the bike itself. You get your AZ or VT plate keep it for 3 months and then transfer the title into California. This is much easier if you know your bike does not meet CA standards or have those special emissions stickers. I have done this with two bikes now. One had an AZ plate and the other and Idaho plate. VT does not reqire a mailing address in their state but AZ does. So knowing someone in AZ will help. I had a buddy travel to AZ last week with a 2001 520 EXC. The AZ DMV didnt even want to look at the bike. He left with a license plate.

I would join AAA (the Auto Club) and do the transfer of title through them. The AAA wont do new bike registrations but they will do out of state transfers into California. Greeen stickers are getting to be rather useless anyways. As long as you play it cool, they ususally dont ask for turn signals or a horn. I would put a mirror on the bike just to make it look more legal. If one of the offices gives you a hassle, go to the next one. This process works. Most of the time all they want to see is an odometer. BUT the odometer you use must have more than 7000 miles on it, otherwise it throws up some sort of red flag. So go pull an odo off some old bike and jimmy rig it to your bike for inspection purposes only.

You can be sure that the first thing Im doing to my new 520 is to make the roadtrip to AZ and I will surely come out of there with a AZ plate in hand. Then Im gonna wait my 3 months and transfer the title into california, and walk out with a CA license plate. BOOM. Thats all you need to do. No turn signals, no expesive dual sport kits, no joking. ?