Sign in to follow this  

any current av gas 100 LL users?

Now that the hi test at the pump is in question of quality and freshness in

the northeast, are any of you using 100LL av gas?

If so, any jetting guidelines for an '06 450, sealevel, 70's, 60% humidity.

Thanks, MV

Hey Marty,it's Keith use to be on KX's,now on the RMZ 450. If you are pretty much close on your stock jetting with pump, 100LL AVGAS will make it run a little rich USALLY ON THE MAIN.

I had to bump 2 down on the main,with my RMZ,to my susprise I also had to bump 2 down on the pilot. Don't take my word for it,and anyone with a 06 CRF450 do not use their jetting specs either.Move them jets and see what you get,your pretty in tune with your bike,you should have no problem. By the way I am done with Chaddsworth. SEE YA

I remember an article in Motocross Action that said not to use AV gas in your bike.

That it is formulated differently because airplane fly in much cloder conditions at altitude and the throtle is left at constand RPMs.

I really do not want to get into a debate over avgas and I won't. Just let me keep this simple,MX ACTION KNOWS SQUAT!!!!!!!!!!

what is mxa?............................................. F'n TOOLS!

Thanks Keith,

It's more of a throttle response issue with straight av gas. The consistency of pump hi test is awful as of late, and due to the pain in the ass to get it as good as I know it should be with out going to drummed fuel while saving some time.

My '04 450exc ktm hates 100LL but the '06 crf 450 is comming around, same carb but different rev ranges.

Just trying to see if any one who actually rides and tunes would reply, not just internet PROS. If you don't know! DON'T REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See ya soon,

Thanks, MV

I wouldn't see a huge problem with using avgas. I'm actually a flight engineer on a corporate jet and we use jet use jet fuel with isn't quite the same as avgas. From my point of view I wouldn't think avgas would hurt anything. Jet fuel I'd stay away from as it is like low grade diesel with additives.

When you fill up your cans with avgas I'd just make sure that they don't put any additives in it. Avgas itself doesn't have any abnormal qualities for anti-icing or anything else, but when they pump it they put the anti-icing stuff in such as prist and such. You can ask for just straight avgas which they should be able to provide.

Think about all the Piper Cubs and Cessna 152 that fly at like 5,000' above sea level at the highest usually running with nothing more than 4 cylinder engine. As far as set up an how it effects the bike I'd be pretty much clueless which I guess doesn't help you at all in the end. I wish you luck in your attempts at jetting though.

By the way if a plane is at 30,000' chances are it's a turbo prop (jet engine with a drive shaft and propeller) and would be burning jet fuel. Allthought I'm not 100% sure I don't think the guys running straight avgas are really flying above 15,000' or so.

Use the av gas in your plane not your bike unless you ride at 30,000 feet.

100 LL AVGAS,will benefit your motor more than you know,but I am not going to waste my time typing more than I have to someone like you. :banghead:

I have used AV gas since the eightys the yamaha YZ 490 would rattle it's head off,the AV cured it,I have used it in my 250 2 smokes and now on both my CRF 450's just jet for it and it works well,the fuel I get at the local airport averages 118 octane,every time I buy it the guy drops a hygrometer in it to show me the octane.use what works for you,I'm happy with it.

...118 octane,every time I buy it the guy drops a hygrometer in it to show me the octane...

Hygrometers are use for determining the moisture content in a gas (i.e. determining the relative humidity of air). How does he use it to show you the octane :banghead: ?

The only way I know of determining octane is through the use of a CFR engine or infrared test equipment.

Hygrometers are use for determining the moisture content in a gas (i.e. determining the relative humidity of air). How does he use it to show you the octane :banghead: ?

The only way I know of determining octane is through the use of a CFR engine or infrared test equipment.

Do you guys know the definition of 'relative humidity'?

.It's the sweat that drops from your ball while your f#&king YOUR sister.

Thanks for the replys,but if YOU don't KNOW don't post. tool your sister

We use av gas down under all the time, well until they band leaded fuel for racing. Use the 100/110LL with conferdance I have for 20 years. It will make the bike run a little rich, like one size on the Pilot and maybe one on the main.

It will make you engine last about 2x longer that if you run Pump gas. :banghead:

Here is a response from a buddy whom works at Honeywell, he does the testing on the various engines. It was a topic that included a comment about the AV fuels Specific Gravity and if it is any good for dirt bike engines or any auto engine.

"He is correct only in the specific gravity concern. Pump gas does not limit gravity either. Carbon Hydrogen ratio is the key player in fuel air ratio. The C/H is not limited, but always is blended to give a 100 octane minimum value in the motor method octane test. The carb jetting is fixed.

My Nova loves 50/50 (91 Octane/100LL), have the trap times to prove it."