Interesting phone call last night

Sitting at home last night reading a novel (hey, it's winter up here!) and the phone rings. Conversation goes like this:

"Hello"

"Hey Jeb!"

"Yes, who's this?"

"Oh, you don't know who this is?"

"No"

"You're jeb, right? Post out on ThumperTalk all the time?"

"Yep, that's me. Who's this?"

"Look out the window."

"What? What window?"

"I don't know. The front one."

So I stand up and look out the front window to see nothing but my neighbors nice xmas lights.

I said:

"No one is in front of my house."

"Well, do you live at xxxxx ST in Rochester, MN?"

"Yes"

"Well, I was sent out here by Capitol One credit to repo your bike."

At this point, I'm sure it's a joke of some kind. I've always paid cash for all my bikes, I've never had any late payments on ANYTHING and I've never even had any kind of account with Capitol One.

So I said:

"That'll be tough to do since I paid cash for my bikes."

"Well, I need to know if I need to bring the authorities or if you'll surrender the bike."

"You better bring the cops with you."

"Okay, I'll be there within the half hour with the authorities to repo the bike."

[Pause]

"This is a joke, right?"

"No, I've been contacted by Capitol One credit to repo your bike. I'll be there in a half hour."

Took me about 30 seconds to figure out what was going on given the triple clamps post and especially this follow on post:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/bike/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=000875

Not hard to get my phone number and address since I give my name and home town in my sig. Kids games. The conversation is obviously not exact but I'm sure I pretty much nailed it verbatim. Draw you own conclusions. I sure did!

I probably should have run a done a *69 on it but I'd guess the caller was at least smart enough to plan for that one. Then again, probably not dealing with a real bright bulb here. Probably should have tried it.

In french we would say "Il jappe mais il ne mord pas et part la queue entre les deux jambes si ça devient sérieux"

Which would translate "He yelp but doesn't bite and run with his tail between his tow legs when thing becomes serious."

He doesn't have real weapon to threaten you, he's just bluffing. I had the same kind of history about a trade on a processor.

Originally posted by robin des bois:

And we wouldn't call you Jeb but M. X and shouldn't know you post on a web site. He's stupid! They are the less dangerous when they are the less smart!

That was my thought, too. Mentioned TT and my user name. Duh!

Jeb, Call the Police and file a report. Ask the officer about a phone trap. The phone company can trap you incoming numbers...match the time and BINGO. Don't post when you get the trap, you have to assume they're reading this..... in California this type of call can be a Felony.

OBTW - If the guy called Long Distance, they may already have the number - for BILLING! ( and *69 type services )

[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: Chris in the Mojave ]

No caller ID in MN? Anyhow, Jeb you've been a plethora of good advice and helped many a TT brethren. Sounds like a local who is pissed about you not using their service(s) and recommending CZ (Which by the way I've used with great success!) I hope you flush the rat out and then flush him where he belongs!