Dual Sporting an E/XC 400

I'm looking to pick up an e/xc 400 and want to get plates for it in Washington State. Can you guys tell me what is necessary on this bike to set it up "street legal"? Complete Baja Designs kit? Stator rewind? I need to comply with local laws requiring plates for vehicles traveling improved forest roads. The bike will see pavement 10%, Dirt 90%. Any help would be nice.

Bike Pilot:

Register it in the State of Vermont. Leave it registered there for 90 days and then register it in your state. You should be able to register it as a street bike in your state after the Vermont routine. You will then have a license plate, but it may not be street legal. This means you could get a "fix it" ticket requiring you to get the Baja Designs kit.

I have been stopped on my XR 400 which is not street legal but has a license plate and never been given a "fix it" ticket.

You need to find out what you need to put on to make street legal in your state.In Colorado all you need is a headlight,taillight with brake light, horn and mirror. NO turnsignals or hi- beam.

Originally posted by Bike Pilot:

I'm looking to pick up an e/xc 400 and want to get plates for it in Washington State. Can you guys tell me what is necessary on this bike to set it up "street legal"? Complete Baja Designs kit? Stator rewind? I need to comply with local laws requiring plates for vehicles traveling improved forest roads. The bike will see pavement 10%, Dirt 90%. Any help would be nice.

In Florida I was able to just take the MSO to the local DMV and get a license. KTM MSO's don't have offroad only on them like the Japanese bikes MSO's do. I then got the OEM dual sport parts from a German KTM dealer. Way cheaper than a Baja kit and works better too. And you don't need to do anything with your stador. The RFS stadors have plenty of juice unlike the US 2-stroke exc's.

Do a search on this sight and you will find all you need to know about ordering the OEM parts from Stephan's Garage in Germany.

I live in Federal Way. My KTM 400 EX/C is street legal. F-the baja kit that will cost you 399.00 and for what. All you need is a break switch & turn signals ... I don't use mirrors or turn signals ... it not an RCW requirement but if you want get the cheapo fold downs mirror thats okay too. Get a panoram speedo if ya want to see how fast the KTM is. Look up the WA RCW for more details.

The best shop to buy your KTM is at European Cycle in Parkland. Go see Bob. He will make your life easy and process your order and have your plate from the state.

THe unique thing about KTM is the shipping manifest does not say for off road use only like the japanese bikes. That statement makes it more difficult to dual sport off road bikes.

alj7545-- RCW? Help me out, don't know what that accronym stands for. Thanks for the lead in Parkland! Thanks to all for the advice! I will check out Stephan's Garage for sure!

I have been working on kit for ktm electric start bikes. Before you dicide which way to go is night time riding important? The way the ktm produces electric power is unique. if you have questions you can email me at dale@trickdualsport.com

Originally posted by Trick Dual Sport:

I have been working on kit for ktm electric start bikes. Before you dicide which way to go is night time riding important? The way the ktm produces electric power is unique. if you have questions you can email me at dale@trickdualsport.com

I have seen Dale's kits and can vouch for them being VERY TRICK! I think they are far better than any other on the market. As soon as I find someone to buy me a new 400 EXC I will be ordering a kit myself! Any offers????

I thought Mirrors (2) and turn signals were required in Wa? If not please enlighten us on the RCW's. Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by alj7545:

I live in Federal Way. My KTM 400 EX/C is street legal. F-the baja kit that will cost you 399.00 and for what. All you need is a break switch & turn signals ... I don't use mirrors or turn signals ... it not an RCW requirement but if you want get the cheapo fold downs mirror thats okay too. Get a panoram speedo if ya want to see how fast the KTM is. Look up the WA RCW for more details.

The best shop to buy your KTM is at European Cycle in Parkland. Go see Bob. He will make your life easy and process your order and have your plate from the state.

THe unique thing about KTM is the shipping manifest does not say for off road use only like the japanese bikes. That statement makes it more difficult to dual sport off road bikes.

I looked at the RCW over the weekend. Left and right mirrors as well as turn signals are required in Wa.

I had a typo should have been does require instead of not. See the sentence above.Sorry I see ya found the rcw.

I don't use mirrors or turn signals and I've been by three sheriffs in kittitas county where I ride.

West side is annual put the mirrors on ... to be safe.