Sign in to follow this  

Fork problem????

I finally blew my fork seals. I tore them apart yesterday, to put the new seals in, and be all ready for the last race tomorrow. Well, I look the forks over, and one leg has something really odd in it.

Here's the order of parts, from the top, to bottom.

-Split bushing, teflon coated on outside. (Slides inside the main tube)

-Split bushing, teflon coated on INside (slides on the lower stanction tube)

-FLat large washer (support ring for oil seal)

-Oil Seal

-Locking Circlip

-Dust wiper

OK, the support ring, the flat washer like thing, on the one leg is actually NOT a flat ring. It looked like another bushing, but only a 1/16 of an inch thick. The diameter of it allowed it to so over top of and get stuck on the Inside teflon coated split bushing. (which is how it was when I pulled it out).

I took everything into the dealer, and they looked at it and asked me what it was. I asked them the same question. NO one seems to know what it is or how it got in there. The leg with this "ring" does NOT have another support ring. THis appears to be a deformed version. It is all bent and funnel shaped (sides are not straight, they are at an angle, and not a consitant angle).

We ordered a new support ring (#16 in your parts manuals for the front forks). And in the meantime, I re-assembled the forks, to race tomorrow, without the strange piece, or a support ring in the one leg.

Anyone else have this weird thing in it? Or is it just my forks?

Chris

Sounds like that was the support ring that was deformed upon disassembly. Was the fork exceptionly tough to separate?

I know this is too late, but I wouldnt ride the bike without the support ring in place. That ring keeps the bushings in place, and also the oil seal will be able to slide back and forth.

How about a pic?

Good Luck, John

I blew another seal today at the race. I am not sure if it's the leg that I have the support deformed thing out or not, I will get some pics tomorrow I hope, as I disassemble the forks again and check it out. I thought the front end felt funny.....I'm not sure if I had my clickers way off, or the oil was too light (I think I was running 15 wt) , or if it was the whole reassembly, but I was fighting the bike for the first time since I owned it. I couldn't keep the front end under it. :)

And yes, it took two people to get the legs apart, the other leg, I did myself, one hand on each tube, no vice, just the "bang" pulling.

[ November 11, 2001: Message edited by: Chris Slade ]

Chris

In this business when you force something, you usually spend money.....

Check the bushings to make sure the teflon isnt scrubbed off, next time heat the outer tubes at the end with a propane torch just hot enough so you cant touch.

Also check the end of the tube to make sure there isnt something obvious that kept the support ring from being jammed...

John

OK! Here's a picture of the innards.

The Support ring, as noted by the text, is what my concern is about. Both fork tubes are in excellent shape. This is indeed the leg that went leaking on me Sunday at the race as well....

Comments? Does anyone else's support ring look like that???????

Fork1.jpg

Also, the diameter of the "ring" is sufficient to allow it to slide OVER (with some force) of the Slider tube teflon Bushing. My concern with this...if I should slam the forks hard, the teflon bushing could feasibly start to work it's way OUT of the fork, and go inside the support ring, and then continue to move, causing some sort of catostrophic failure.

[ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: Chris Slade ]

Chris

Nice pic! Good detail....

Yep, thats a distorted support ring, when it took 2 guys to get the fork apart, did the oil seal remain in the tube?

Its looks to me that the circlip was left in for a couple of hard pulls to get it apart (you said it took 2 guys to get the fork tubes seperated). Or the oil seal was bonded to the outer tube. That support ring is made from really soft metal, they will bend and distort easlily.

Next time you seperate the tubes, apply a little heat on the outside tube right above where the seal and bearing live. Use a propane torch, and heat just untill you cant touch.

Take Care, John

Actually, I have a WP manual, from online, (it is an official work manual) some guy on E-bay is selling them (notice his auctions are PRIVATE?? that way you cannot contact his buyers and tell them he printed them ONLINE FOR FREE!! :) ). I laser printed mine from work...there should be a search here on TTalk with a link to the site.

I DID use heat as well. The circlip was removed, and the oil seal was easily movable as well. (well, relatively, it was easier than most KYB forks) When we actually got the thing apart, the support ring was AROUND the slider bushing (the lower edges of both parts were flush with each other.) I thought it was a special part....being my first WP work. But then I took the other leg apart, (NO HEAT) by myself, very simply. I then noticed a FLAT washer, (support ring), and apon closer looking at the first leg, found the "deformity". WP's are almost identical to KYB's, just minor differences in style of the bushings.

Now....anyone messed with the shim stacks?? I am planning on taking them apart, and moving the shims around, to stiffen up the fork movement, any pointers? Depending on the severity of my success, I will make a post on this technique, should someone desire to do the same.

Thanks for the comment on the ring, it only confirms my suspicions that it is faulty.

hey.......nice wallpaper in your shop!

good detail on the photo and am glad you could find out the problem .......thanks for posting the solution and the heat fix.

[ November 16, 2001: Message edited by: captain ktm ]

LOL. The Wallpaper is actually paneling. :) And it's downstairs, in the computer room :D The lines you see are phone lines so I can connect to this wonderous place! I took the fork tube downstairs in the comp room so I could get the digitals. :D

Chris,

I have seen this before; only once though. We just replaced the support ring & the customer hasn't had any problems.