Trying to convert from bike hater to lover

I have admittedly not been a supportive wife/mother over the last 15 years when it comes to riding. I have a phobia about motorcycles, and while logically I know I should not freak out about those things I can't control, I do anyway. So, many potential weekends together as a family have been lost because I just don't go with them. It's better that way, because then they can have a good time without me nagging and crying at them that I know they're going to die. My hubby has offered to teach me to ride many times... but what good does it do for my family if I die too?

Now that I'm almost (choke) 40, I know it's a little late - but I've decided to take a riding class. Maybe if I understand a little more about how to ride, I can relax a little more when they ride. And gee - what if I actually end up liking it? I'm not counting on it, but I suppose it could happen. I don't want to get their hopes up, so I'm just keeping it my little secret right now. My daydream lately has been to go along with them one weekend, jump on a bike, and leave them in the dust... in shock. (They're real practical jokers, so they'd totally deserve it.)

I know there are a lot of women who are the adventurous, athletic-type. I'm not one of them - but I'm hoping I can become one.

Has anybody else here converted from bike-hater to bike-lover? And, is there anything I can do at home to get my uncoordinated, slightly overweight body into shape before I get to my class in a few weeks?

That's a GREAT decision! I hope you find something to like about it! Are you taking the MSF foundation class? I took it after I'd been riding for about a year and I found lots to learn. Even if it's geared toward street, the basics are all the same.

And, there are a lot of different aspects of riding. It doesn't have to be insane, balls-out, high speed all the time ... my friends and I often have short or slow rides where we spend more time gossiping or taking pictures than riding. It's nice to go with a group of girls so if you find some other ladies who ride, it's lots of fun.

As for getting in shape, try rowing. It works the same shoulder, back and leg muscles--or close to it anyway--as riding does. Squats and pushups are good too, and one of those spring squeezy things to work out your forearms.

What's your location? There might be some thumpettes somewhere nearby who'd take you out riding.

Outstanding!!! I hope you overcome your phobia, my wife did and now she rides and totally loves it!!! The best part is doing it all together as a family with her and the kids. Her girlfriends all ride and they call themselves the "Moto Mamas", they're a crack up. The girls ride with us guys and they do girl rides too, I'm sooooo glad she finally decided to give it a go, it has made our life so much fun. Good luck to you and I hope you dig it as much as we all do.

Are you taking the MSF foundation class?

I've looked at that, also a "girls class" sponsored by OP, or a private day-long lesson in the dirt.

As for getting in shape, try rowing. It works the same shoulder, back and leg muscles--or close to it anyway--as riding does.

Hey, great idea! Thanks!

What's your location? There might be some thumpettes somewhere nearby who'd take you out riding.

Keeping the location secret until after I suprise the family - they're TT regulars!

My daydream lately has been to go along with them one weekend, jump on a bike, and leave them in the dust... in shock. (They're real practical jokers, so they'd totally deserve it.)

The class is a great idea! Also, if you can just get some time on the bike in a easy to ride area it will help a lot. Top secret of course but don't ride alone just in case.

And, is there anything I can do at home to get my uncoordinated, slightly overweight body into shape before I get to my class in a few weeks?

Riding a mountain bike is the best thing you can do to get coordinated & shed the pounds at the same time. Increases your stamina too!

Good luck ticktock!

:banghead:

I didn't know anything about dirtbikes until I met my b/f. Then after hearing soo much about them I decided to get one myself and LOVE it! It's only been a year that I've been riding, but the experience is great. Now we can both do something together and have fun while doing it. I use to wonder why when we seen each other that he was soo damn tired. Now we're both tired and I understand why!

It's soo good that you're trying to learn about dirtbikes to get more involved with your family. Take it slow and learn the basics. Seat time is what it takes. Good luck to ya!

What kind of places do they ride? Could you get a 4 wheeler? (Don't flame me!!) You may feel less intimidated on 4 wheels. Just a suggestion.... Good luck! It is great fun...

SusanE

They ride both quads and bikes. I've ridden the quads a few times, but never really enjoyed it because I'm so fearful. Lately, it seems they've been doing more trail riding, and they've started racing grand prix, so they take the dirt bikes more often. I'm hoping that if I learn on two wheels, even if I'm just so-so at it, it will make me feel that much more comfortable on 4 wheels when we go out to the sand.

I had never even considered riding until I met my boyfriend. I am still a little fearful and I take a few minutes each time we go to get comfortable, but I ABSOLUTELY LOVE RIDING!!!! I had no idea it would be SO MUCH FUN. My goal is to be able to ride a WR250F next year (I ride a TTR225 now). I will have to practice, practice, practice....but I will have a blast doing it. Go at your own speed and don't get pushed into anything your not ready for. Riding with my kids has been one of the best family activities around. Relax and enjoy!!!!

I say go for it! I just turned 40 myself and have been riding for 4 years now. I am doing things now I never thought I would do on a track! Do you have a bike in mind already? Depending on your size a TTR125-type 4 stroke bike would be good to start out with. In my opinion riding a dirtbike is no different than learning how to snow ski. Ride in control and don't try something that you aren't ready for. Have fun!

Wow! You are an ambitious lady!! :banghead: I woulda NEVER thought to figure out how to ride FIRST and then surprise everybody.

Well, I already blew it. :applause: I kept my secret for 3 days - guess I should at least be proud of that! But, I had to tell him last night. Since we have a toddler, it was going to be hard to make up places I could go long enough for him not to wonder where the heck I was.

There is an OP class for girls I may take this Saturday, or I may take a full MSF course for streetbikes, then let my husband teach me how to ride in the dirt after that. My 13-yo has a Suzuki DRZ125 that he's quickly outgrowing, so I guess I will be learning on that.

I'm nervous but excited - and even though I won't be able to surprise the boys the way I wanted to, they were still surprised that I'm actually taking this first little step. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for all of your encouragement!?

Good luck & have fun. Don't get frustrated that you can't "blow them to the weeds" - they've been riding for years. It's not as easy as it looks, but it's more fun :banghead: I'm totally unco, unfit but I couldn't live without bikes now.

Best of luck & good on you for keeping it a secret for 3 days (I'm hopeless & just can't keep surprises quiet lol).