KTM 400 EXC

Hello,

My name is Daniel Garcia, I'm from Portugal and I just bought a new 400 EXC.

I have a doubt : in 5th and 6th gear when I reach 90 km/h I lost power. It's like if I run out of gasoline. But if I reduce to 4th I can reach 110 km/h without problems.

Can someone help me ?

Tank you

[ November 11, 2001: Message edited by: Dani ]

I don't own a KTM yet but I do live near a Holiday Inn Express. :D

Maybe your bike is starving for air. Maybe your altitude, jetting or something like that is causing the problem.

PS. I predict all people will look back someday at their first posts and laugh. :)

Hello Jim,

It's obvious that this velocity is in road ( in Portugal the bike is sold ready to use on street ). Of road I only use 1,2 and 3 gear :) I'm a rookie in all terrain riding.

If this is a altitude or jetting problem it should happend in all gears and not only in 5th and 6th, isn't it ?

Tank you

[ November 13, 2001: Message edited by: Dani ]

Dani

It is torque at the rear wheel that turns it. There must be enough torque to overcome the resistance to forward movement (wind resistance). The faster you go, the more torque you need. When you shift back down to 4th gear, you are increasing the torque at the rear wheel.

But, it sounds like the motorcycle has a problem. Something is preventing it from generating it's potential power. Bring the bike back to the dealer that you bought it from and have them check it out.

Off topic; are you on the mainland or in the Azores? My grandfather came from the Azores.

Dani

It is torque at the rear wheel that turns it. There must be enough torque to overcome the resistance to forward movement (wind resistance). The faster you go, the more torque you need. When you shift back down to 4th gear, you are increasing the torque at the rear wheel.

But, it sounds like the motorcycle has a problem. Something is preventing it from generating it's potential power. Bring the bike back to the dealer that you bought it from and have them check it out.

Off topic; are you on the mainland or in the Azores? My grandfather came from the Azores.