Registering out of state EXC in Cali

I have been pouring over all the post about buying online/over the phone and it boils down to this: If I buy out of state what will the CA dmv do or require to get a green sticker. I know the G model is for CA only but I'm sure there are those out there who have bought out of state. Any info no matter how slight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

Jeff, I will be going through that very thing in a week or so. If you don't find out by then I will post my experience. Hopefully, it shouldn't be to traumatic. :)

Originally posted by Jeff-inSD:

I have been pouring over all the post about buying online/over the phone and it boils down to this: If I buy out of state what will the CA dmv do or require to get a green sticker. I know the G model is for CA only but I'm sure there are those out there who have bought out of state. Any info no matter how slight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

Jeff,

Here's a clip from another thread on this. It doesn't look good for out-of-state bikes. :)

Crash

-------------

Well, that's what I thought too. In fact, I bought a new XR650R from out of state. The California DMV in Sacramento confirmed that if my bike did NOT have a '3' or 'C' in the 8th position of my VIN that I'd get a Green Sticker. I also confirmed this with the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) and CARB (California Air Resources Board). I even downloaded a list of complaint & non-compliant bikes from one of these agencies to make sure everything would be OK with getting my new bike Green Stickered, but after all this comfirmation & verification, the DMV is now telling me another story.

Since I bought my bike from out of state, the CA DMV has to physically inspect it. When they did, they told me that I was missing the CA Emissions label on the rear fender and would NOT register my bike for a Green Sticker because of that. They agreed that my bike was 'probably' compliant because it did not have the '3' or the 'C' in the VIN, but unless they seen the California Emissions sticker on the rear fender, there was no deal on me getting a Green Sticker.

I don't want to scare anyone here, but this is what has happened to me so far in the Peoples Republic of California. I'm still trying to resolve this issue and find a part number for the 'magic sticker' they want to see. I don't know if California KTM's have this sticker, but I went down to the Honda dealer and all their XR's have them.

*** If you are buying your KTM from a California dealer (like Z Racing), then you will probably NOT have the problems I'm having as the bike will be registered by the dealer and it will NOT have to be inspected." ***

Good luck and I hope everything goes smoothly in getting your Green Sticker.