Sign in to follow this  

TW200 cuts out,any ideas?

Here is a good one.My 1987 TW200 runs great most of the time.I ride it to work during the day and home at 1:30am.It runs great when it is warm out,but on the way home about 5min. into the ride it starts cutting out bad.It gets so bad some times it wont even pull and I have to pull over to the side of the road.Idle is erratic (a little)when having this prob.I can ride it all weekend during the day and it runs great,but late at night when it is cool outside it cuts out and backfires,coughs.Will clean out for a min. or 2 and mess up again.Fuel filter is new(replaced it just incase),new plug,checked carb(very clean inside).I am betting CDI.Runs great and all of a sudden it cuts out ,no warning.Checked all of the connections. :banghead:

I've seen more cdi, black boxes and coils needlessly replaced because of this. It's usually a fuel delivery problem. If I remember correctly, you bought this after it was sitting in a garage for some time. Things break free, shake loose and plug up jets and float seats. Go thru that carb, or pay a dealer to do it. It's cheaper than other things and the most common problem. Rule it out.

I've seen more cdi, black boxes and coils needlessly replaced because of this. It's usually a fuel delivery problem. If I remember correctly, you bought this after it was sitting in a garage for some time. Things break free, shake loose and plug up jets and float seats. Go thru that carb, or pay a dealer to do it. It's cheaper than other things and the most common problem. Rule it out.

Already cleaned every jet and hole in the carb.Replaced the fuel filter I had put on the bike when I bought it.Funny it only does it when it is cold.And no it is not running too lean,if anything it is too rich according to the plug.I set float level(it was too high)and ohmed out all of the wires including the side stand switch and the kill switch on the handle bar.The tank was coated inside by the last owner.When it cuts out it is like the kill switch is pushed on and off.Checked all grounds even sanded paint off under coil mount.I did find(last night) that if it is sitting at idle and has been running like crap that I can wiggle the wires going to the CDI that the idle changes.I am thinking a connection inside the CDI on a board has came loose.I have a new one ordered and will be here tomorrow.I could open up the unit and re solder it but I ride the bike a lot and don't want to be stranded.It was only 186.00 .I know some may think it a waste but the bike is in such good shape .I just know back in the 80s the CDI units were not as reliable as they are now.Even with this small prob. these are great bikes and thanks for the response.I will post after I replace the CDI and let you guys know how it went.But you are correct the filter has caught a lot of crud that would have surely messed up the carb.

CDI Replaced ,prob. solved. Runs great now.I was riding it home last night from work(before CDI replaced),it was running great and I stood up for a sec. to stretch my legs.I raced motocross for many years and naturally grip the bike with my legs when standing.As I did my leg pushed in on the right side panel(which the CDI is just under)and the bike cut out.I tried several times and each time it cut out.The wires for the CDI touch the outside cover.The CDI is mounted upside down with the wires hitting the bottom of the box it sits in.Over time the weight of the CDI pushing down on it must have worked a connection loose inside it going to a circuit board.If any of you have a TW ,look at your CDI and make sure the wires are coming out the top.If not pull it out and slide back in with them facing up.This may save you some money.Strange things can happed to anything mechanical.

Like I said, those damn CDI boxes cause more problems. Replace that thing before it hurts somebody! :banghead:

CDI Replaced ,prob. solved. Runs great now.I was riding it home last night from work,it was running great and I stood up for a sec. to streatch my legs.I raced motocross for many years and naturally grip the bike with my legs when standing.As I did my leg pushed in on the right side panel(which the CDI is just under)and the bike cut out.I tried several times and each time it cut out.The wires for the CDI touch the outside cover.The CDI is mounted upside down with the wires hitting the bottom of the box it sits in.Over time the weight of the CDI pushing down on it must have worked a connection loose inside it going to a circuit board.I any of you have a TW ,look at your CDI and make sure the wires are coming out the top.If not pull it out and slide back in with them facing up.This may save you some money.Strange things can happed to anything mechanical.

Will do. Great info. :banghead:

Have a 87 TW in the garage that I'll have to check. Great little commuter bike. :applause:

I had mine short under the seat . Every once and awhile it would shut off. it finally got so bad it quit running. I pulled it apart and found the rub out.

I had mine short under the seat . Every once and awhile it would shut off. it finally got so bad it quit running. I pulled it apart and found the rub out.

Going on this I pulled the seat off again and checked all wires.I had ohmed them out and knew I had no trouble there but after looking the 2nd time I did notice some that had rubbed a little,not much at all and no naked wires .I used a few zip ties and made sure wires cant move around .I have put about 300 miles on it since the CDI replacement and all is still good.I have pictures if anyone can host them.

Sent photo.Did you get your bike running?I am at 4850 miles and still running great!Since the CDI replacement nothing done except oil change ,adjust valves,filter clean and chain adjustment.