Sign in to follow this  

CAN'T FIND NEUTRAL ON MY 520 EXC

I have a 02 520 EXC. approx 70 miles on it. Having trouble finding neutral while the bike is running. I have to shut it off most of the time just to find it. Has anyone had this problem?

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: WeekEnder ]

If you are still on the factory oil it is not uncommon. I had the same issue, and so have others I have talked to. I could not start my SX in gear with that oil either. I use Mobil 1 15W-50. Once I dumped the original oil and went to my normal oil, it was easy to find neutral and start the bike in gear.

I also, run Mobile 1 15W50 Oil (Red Top). There is no drag on the clutches , so its easy to start with the bike in gear. I just have alot of trouble finding neutral if the bike is running.

I have the same problem. It doesn't appear to get better with oil. I bought a 13 month old 2001 520 EXC in September. This bike has had a lot of oil changes and it's almost impossible to get neutral.

There has been a lot of discussion thet bleeding the clutch hydraulics will fix this. There is more than likely air in the system causing the clutch to drag. I'm just so used to finding neutral before the bike stops that it doesn't bother me any more. I began using synthetic oil from the start, and the clutch has always been the same.

Also, I have read that baby oil can be used safely in the clutch hydraulic system, I'm just too lazy to try it myself.

I have the exact same problem with my 01 520 EXC. I just start the bike in gear and dont worry about it!

Well, I'm not going to worry about it anymore, It's just when I'm waiting for some of my buddys to come of the woods, I would rather put it in neutral instead of cutting it off. I'll just ride faster so I'll make it worth my while to shut it down !!!!!!!

The last time I checked neutral was between first and second gear :) I guess the manual needs to be read. Motorcycle school 101 :D

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: Mike in Roseville ]

^SQUID^ Thumper, I put Spectro 4 Premium petroleum 10w40 oil in mine after I took it out of the crate before I even started it up. Been using it ever since. About 1500 miles and 12 oil changes. No shifting problems for me.

Originally posted by WeekEnder:

I have a 02 520 EXC. approx 70 miles on it. Having trouble finding neutral while the bike is running. I have to shut it off most of the time just to find it. Has anyone had this problem?

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: WeekEnder ]

I own a new '01 EXC 520 that has about 30 miles on it right now. I have not noticed any problems finding neutral. I have been riding Hondas for several years and the shifting on my EXC seems to be equivilant so far.

I’m sure that many of you will not agree but…..

Some (many… :) years ago when I got the first HUSKY 4ST I encountered the same problem..Could not find neutral when engine was running and warm

I tried NON SYNTH lubricant and that solve the problem.

Till now I’m only using NON or SEMI-Synth; oils.

I used to have a 400 EXC (sold it because I did not like the “light” front end) and got the same experience.

I don’t know why but when 100% synt are really warm neutral is really hard to find.

RakO

I just rebuilt my motor, fired it up today and can't and don't seem to have a neutral at all? I have yet to bleed my clutch any ideas?