Anyone Ridden Their DRZ in the OBX ???

I'm renting a house on the beach north of Corola Light in the Outter Banks next week and thought about taking my DRZ. I'm not sure if it's allowed on the beach (4 wheel drive only) or not but I think because it is street legal I should be O.K.

Anyone else ridden there? How hard is it to ride in the sand? :banghead:

Thanks

I'm renting a house on the beach north of Corola Light in the Outter Banks next week and thought about taking my DRZ. I'm not sure if it's allowed on the beach (4 wheel drive only) or not but I think because it is street legal I should be O.K.

Anyone else ridden there? How hard is it to ride in the sand? :banghead:

Thanks

I hear it's legal to take motorcycles on the beach in Nags Head... not sure about Corolla. Sand is fun... just stay on the a$$ end of the bike and the fun grip...you should be fine. I grew up riding sand, it takes a little getting used to but is a blast once you figure it out.

I'd bring it just to explore, and cruise around... For Beer, Liquor, or Bait Runs and stuff.. The only state liquor store was like 30 minutes south of where we were...

You could go all the way from Kill Devil to the end of the OBX ... Wherever it ends now.. There used to even be a ferry that would take you back across to the mainland... Probably cheap on a bike...

When I was there, the road was destroyed in November of 2003, and the cops had it all blocked off, so you could only go to about where the HUGE lighthouse is..

However - its probably going to be raining, or really wet from that TD...

I'd bring it simply for Dual Sporting, and cruising around - that is a BEAUTIFULL place.. I stayed at HI - Cape Hatteras.

What I remember the MOST is everyones CUSTOM FISHING POLE HOLDER BUMBERS.. I thought it was funny until I realized that EVERYONE has them!!! Unlike anywhere else in the US...

I'm sure you can ride on the beach in some places, but be carefull - that sand is REALLY soft... Keep it above 2nd gear and keep your speed up... Like someone said - sit on the rear fender and lean back with your weight on the pegs. You'll have fun..

Especially if you can find a beach section where its legal at LOW TIDE... That is really fun...

I have a Tera Flex so I should be O.K. - I'll just let some of the air out. I know for sure you can take 4-wheel drive vehicles on the beach in that area because there are no roads to get you to the houses along the beach. I don't plan on ripping around in the dunes, I just want to be able to dual sport down the beach where the 4x4's can go - and explore the area. I guess I'll find out if it's legal to ride a licensed motorcycle

on the beach where the signs say 4-wheel drive only.

I have a Tera Flex so I should be O.K. - I'll just let some of the air out. I know for sure you can take 4-wheel drive vehicles on the beach in that area because there are no roads to get you to the houses along the beach. I don't plan on ripping around in the dunes, I just want to be able to dual sport down the beach where the 4x4's can go - and explore the area. I guess I'll find out if it's legal to ride a licensed motorcycle

on the beach where the signs say 4-wheel drive only.

CSM, your bike is legal in the 4X4 only area. Non registered bikes are not. Homeowners along that 12 mile stretch of the OBX are allowed to have ATV's but they have buy a permit for them. I think the 4 wheel drive sign is to warn kids in civics to stay off the beach. There are sheriffs patrolling on ATV's but mostly they look for people speeding on the beach near people on foot.

The techniques everyone has given here are good. The only one I have to add is when on the beach at high tide, avoid the big ruts made by the trucks. Seems every 4x4 at high tide uses the same track so the ruts can get close to a foot deep. Stay away from them, keep your speed up, sit toward the back and don't have a death grip on the bars.

I'll be down there Sept 17 - Oct 1. Staying in the 4x4 area about a mile south of the fire dept, one row back from the beach. Can't remember if that is Carova or Swan beach. Look for another DRZ or a metallic grey Dodge 2500 quad cab. We also spend a lot of time on the sound side kayaking and crabbing. PM me if you want to try and meet down there.