Hebo Clutch & Baja Desings Kit

I've got the same problems with my new Hebo, plus no space for the roll-chart holder. I've temporarily moved the whole turn/horn/light assy onto the crossbar, very funky. I'd have been nice to know about this before I got the Hebo. Plus, the clutch action and feel is not a nice as my original GYT-R clutch, which has a special radius on the lever and pin bearings. Anyone want to buy a never-used Hebo clutch?

WR400Rock - I like the Works Connection set up well enough to use it on my WR, my wifes XR250 & my KX500 (of course w/o decompression lever).

Tim - I have BD kit, that I installed, on my WR. My WR has the DOT version but I didn't hook up the DOT tail/brake light. We bought my wifes XR with the BD kit - ~6 Baja trips since we bought it. I bought a partial BD kit for my '88 XR600. The kits are first class - wiring is very well done, instructions are 1st class. I've got only two very minor complaints - 1)the DOT legal blinkers aren't the toughest but I don't blame BD for this 2) On my WR I have the late model switch gear with the little orange turn signal lever & it came apart - $12 to replace.

There are other DS kits available but I have not been very impressed with them. You could build your own kit but I don't think that this is a very efficient use of time.

Brian

[This message has been edited by Brian Meadows (edited 03-21-2001).]

Brian - To bad they don't make the perch to work with a juice clutch.

Tim & Brian - The Baja kit I used is the full DOT one. I agree with Brian, it is the best one on the market (actually the only one I have any knowledge or experince with, so my view is limited). But it isn't perfect. I've modified the rear turn signals and used the Summers Racing ones, very nice, smaller, and felxible.

The instructions were first rate and easy to follow. My only concern was when it came to cutting the wire to the stator, but all went as the instructions stated.

Anoyone else attempted to install a Hebo Clutch & a Baja Designs dual sport kit? If you have I need some help.

My 98 WR400 just doesn't seem to have enough bar space to have all of the following: Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Baja Designs Dual Sport kit, Acerbis dual sport mirrors, compression release lever.

Anyone with a reasonable fix/solution please contact me. ?

36" bars are not a reasonable option. :D

Originally posted by WR400Rock:

Anoyone else attempted to install a Hebo Clutch & a Baja Designs dual sport kit? If you have I need some help.

My 98 WR400 just doesn't seem to have enough bar space to have all of the following: Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Baja Designs Dual Sport kit, Acerbis dual sport mirrors, compression release lever.

Anyone with a reasonable fix/solution please cme. ?

36" bars are not a reasonable option. :D

maybey you should just give the juice clutch to a friend that has room on his bars :D

Brian,

Just got off the phone with my parts source. The SRC turn signal lights are still available but they are NOT listed in their catalog. They come from europe and you will have to call SRC direct and explain what you are looking for, and the fact that they are not in the catalog. When I got mine they came in black or white. Good luck.

I picked up my Baja Designs dual sport kit (not full DOT) from someone that ordered it and changed their mind about installing it before it even arrived.

I have everything installed except for the stator modification and that doesn't look tough.

Complaints? Most are more related to how they could improve the kit rather than something is bad.

There's no way the rear turn signals are going to survive a crash or a good sized tree branch, the license plate bracket could have been built so you don't need to drill holes, the stator mod instructions may be in color but mine are blurry, it doesn't include the mirror (I had that though), the bar light/turn signal switch doesn't look very tough, the turn signal switch doesn't have a "press to cancel" feature, the front turn signal mounts could be a little stronger, and I would have been happier if the only thing in the airbox was the battery.

[This message has been edited by JamesD (edited 03-22-2001).]

James, this kit does not have the FET does it? The turn signal switch is has the orange button correct? Anyway you could scan the wiring schematic and send it my way?

I'd appreciat that. You never made the stator modification? I thought that was necessary to run the voltage reg/rectifier?

Thanks,

fershy

As it turns out I just came in from my garage where I have been putting the final touches on installing the BD kit. Overall I really like the kit.

So far the only issues I've had are as follows. Followed their advice and put the bike into second gear and pressed on the back brake while removing the flywheel nut. to my surprise the engine would turn over even with the back wheel locked. Eventually got it by rapping the wrench repeatedly. Same issue when tightening the flywheel nut. Think I got it tight enough. Couldn't get the two small stator plate strain relief philipps screws out and had to use needle nose vice grips as BD suggests, to loosen them before using the screwdriver. This made a mess of the screws.

I was poking the white wire (that I soldered to the copper winding I clipped) up through the grommet, beside the yellow wire as they suggest, using a screwdriver as they suggest, and I managed to mess up the insulation on the yellow wire as it comes out of the grommet. There was warning about this, to be careful. I thought I was being careful. Fixed this with silicone and heatshrink tubing over the whole mess of previously exposed wires.

A rear UFO fender was provided with integral taillight and licence plate holder. The fender looks straight but license plate holder is crooked. I cant seem to straighten it out by loosening the screws and adjusting.

They tell you to leave the airbox lid off. I'm not sure that's a good idea without jetting changes. They tell you to drill holes in the side of your front number plate so you can use a tie wrap to secure the flasher. This is not necesary at the the flasher assy slips perfectly over the bottom bracket with the screw that holds the number plate on. I got that clue by looking closely at the picture and observing this installation, which contradicts the directions. They tell you to stick the batteries onto the holder in the airbox with the adhesive prior to tie-wrapping as well. It's still freezing outside and I'm not sure I should be subjecting the batteries to freezing temperatures. Next winter I would have to rip the batteries out, ruining the adhesive stickers.

------------------

00WR, BD Dual Sport Kit, Panoram Computer, Ottawa, Canada

Originally posted by fershy:

James, this kit does not have the FET does it? The turn signal switch is has the orange button correct? Anyway you could scan the wiring schematic and send it my way?

I'd appreciat that. You never made the stator modification? I thought that was necessary to run the voltage reg/rectifier?

Thanks,

fershy

FET? I don't believe so.

The yellow button is the horn and the orange one is the turn signal. The kill switch button is grey and much more difficult to reach than stock. The assembly was labled "Made in Italy" in case someone wants to hunt down the source.

The scanner has been down at work so I'll see about the wiring schematic.

I haven't had time to modify the stator yet (yes it's required) and I was actually thinking of sending it off to Baja Designs to have them rewind it and make the modification.

If you could see where I have my bike stored you'd understand why I haven't modified the stator yet. The bike barely fits.

One last complaint about the kit. No key switch. With a key switch a thief wouldn't be able to ride off on it so easy. It wouldn't be difficult to add one to the kill switch circuit.

I didn't drill the front number plate either. I just thought I'd try using the bracket to mount it (like BillS). I noticed the photo had it that way after putting it back together.