Sign in to follow this  

Putting a 120/100 on the back of a 520?

Guys,

As I was contemplating my next rear tire purchase at the local bike shop, I was wondering about using a wider 120/100 on my 520. The bike's got more than enough power to push the extra rubber. Has anybody traveled down this route yet. I'm thinking about it but I'm wondering if this will make the 520 a wheelie monster.

Anybody tried this yet or know anyone that has.

Thanks,

Concho

Concho

Just put a Perelli 120/100 Laguna Cross on my 02 520 EXC with excellent traction results after running Michelin S12s for the last six months.

Doesnt make anymore difference as a wheelie tire, I think they would spin a tractor tire. One thing you should keep an eye on is with a higher profile tire the tread runs closer to the rubber fender/shock protector and depending on what sprockets you run the tire can wear a hole through the fender,exposing the the heim joint and the shock spring to potential damage. What I did was add 1 link to the chain and run 2 master links and this solved the problem.

I have used both the 110 and 120 size tires on the KTM 520 and found the larger rear tire makes the bike turn slower (harder to lean left and right quickly in tight, high-speed situations), and it tends to skid across the ground a little more during hard rear braking (instead of digging in), but it works great as a big rubber buffer in nasty rocks and, of course, floats nicely in mud. I will probably go back to the 110 width next time...