Sign in to follow this  

Bah, stripped my oil screen bolt.

Like a lazy goof, I tried to stick my 1/2" drive ratchet with 8mm allen head into the bolt for the small screen without getting on the ground to look at it. I succeeded, but then proceeded to find it was not square in by rounding the head. I still have it in, and have not attempted to remove it yet (shouldn't be too bad). I ordered the bolt head ONLY, as it apparently is a removable part from the small screen. Is this true? I have never been able to remove the small screen, (only the large screen from it's bolt head).

Will I end up destroying the screen in the process of removing it?

I know I've seen some post on it before, but anyone got any more good ideas on how to remove the bolt from the engine?

It would make sense to ask the dealer, the people I buy the crap from...but in all honesty, I usually can tell THEM more about the bike than they can tell me. I can't say I have alot of faith. You guys now....alot of faith. :)

For anyone wanting to upgrade to the 8mm from a 6mm (as on the '00's) It's only a $4 dollar part.

For rounded off external hexes I use Metrinch.

http://www.mitools.com

It REALLY works.

I use an “EasyOut” in cases where the head has been entirely broken off.

Also, Sears Craftsman just released a “Craftsman Screw-Out” that is supposedly great for removing hardware with stripped internal hexes.

http://www.sears.com/sr/craftsman/whatsnew/cr_ct_cooltooldetail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0268686830.1007071638@@@@&BV_EngineID=hjadccjdggfkhbggcmgclchl.0&vertical=TOOL&Tool_Id=14

Patience and a little heat will help, too. Good Luck.

Hi Chris, I had the same problem with my 520exc.

I used a small "sharp" chisle on the outer diameter of the plug/bolt for the small screen. A few sharp hits loosened it up.

Now when I re-install it I put a small dab of anti-sieze on the threads. I seem to think the factory installs the plugs dry during engine assy.

Don't waste your time or money the Sears screw outs, all do is try to drill a hole in the counter clockwise direction.

Da Goose

Chris,

You can take the little screen off. I was having trouble with that area on the last oil change. The screen is held onto the plug with a o-ring at the end of the screen. These two pieces will come apart without any damage.

Later,

Concho

Chris,

I did exactly the same thing last weekend.

I used a small chisel on the outer edge of the plug and gently tapped it around. It worked fine.

The screen is held in place by a couple of small lugs which clip into the bottom of the plug. It definatly comes out and goes back in with a liitle force.

I also put a liitle anti seize on the plug when I put it backin

Cheers

GUY