Sign in to follow this  

Help - very light weight rider

I'm a 5'1" 98 lb woman B rider in Colorado and I'm struggling with getting the right race sag on my bike.

I have an 04 crf250r and I had the suspension done by pro-action when I first got it. They put a 5 lighter than stock spring in back and 3 lighter than stock springs in the forks. It was tons better than stock of course but I was never able to get the race sag over 3" without having the bike sag more than 1" on it's own.

From what pro-action says, I can't go any lighter on the springs because they won't support the weight of the bike. They also said don't worry about race sag just make sure the bike sags 1" on its own. This set up has been causing me problems in the corners where my bike tends to knife very easily. And I get headshake so I have to crank the compression down to like 4 clicks out.

Recently, I changed the sag so that the bike sits 1.5" on its own and about 3.25" with me on it. Handles much better in the corners and I can still jump but according the everything I've read and heard it is still not a good motocross set up.

Any advice? I'm older so I'm not going to grow anymore :-(. And I'm not likely to gain 20 lbs either. Should I go to a lighter spring in the rear? Or, just get the race sag correct regardless of the bike only sag? I'm in an ok place right now but seems like I shouldn't be alone in this problem. There are a lot more women riding these days and we are smaller than guys, usually ;-)

Thanks!

A cpl questions.....did PA put their own pistons in the suspension? Also can you give me the actual spring rates?

I have worked with many light riders (women & small kids coming off of 85's onto big bikes) and sometimes it can be a challenge to find the right set-up. The answers to the above questions will get us in the right direction.

doc

Spring rates are 4.3 rear and .39 front. Stock is 5.3 and .45. PA did not put their own piston in, they left that stock. Oil volume 385 cc, oil weight 5. I'm a fairly aggressive (for a girl) B rider and I bottom the front forks occasionally. Bike sags 1.5" on it's own 3.25" with me on it.

Thanks!

Jeeze you think that they (PA) would work with you alittle better? They should know that with that little sag the bike will not handle correctly. I have no experience with lighter riders, but I would try a lighter spring regardless of what they say. If you can get your sag right, and have the right free sag, it is oubviously supporting the bike. I would try a 4.2 or maybe 4.0, probably 4.2.

The accational fork bottoming can be fixed by adding alittle oil. More oil affects the last 1/4 of travel. Try adding 5 cc to the each fork and see if that does alittle better for you.

Those spring rates are off a good bit IMHO.

The .39 fork springs end up being almost a .41 after you add the IC springs. This is too stiff for your weight.

I agree with cj-S4, try a 4.0 on the shock, to balance out with this shock spring, I wouldn't use fork springs heavier than a .36.

BTW, don't accept the answer of not being able to put lighter springs on your bike, thats bull, you paid good money for your suspension work, they should stand behind their work.

Take Care, John

Those spring rates are off a good bit IMHO.

The .39 fork springs end up being almost a .41 after you add the IC springs. This is too stiff for your weight.

I agree with cj-S4, try a 4.0 on the shock, to balance out with this shock spring, I wouldn't use fork springs heavier than a .36.

BTW, don't accept the answer of not being able to put lighter springs on your bike, thats bull, you paid good money for your suspension work, they should stand behind their work.

Take Care, John

This would explain why my 150 lb husband loves my bike suspension/handling so much. I think it is set up more for his weight!

Thanks for the input! I wonder why PA recommended that set up? Do you think their top secret valving compensates for the stiffer springs somehow? I'm off to find new springs...

This would explain why my 150 lb husband loves my bike suspension/handling so much. I think it is set up more for his weight!

Thanks for the input! I wonder why PA recommended that set up? Do you think their top secret valving compensates for the stiffer springs somehow? I'm off to find new springs...

LOL, are you sure your husband didn't have it setup for him? And hope you wouldn't get good enough to have issues with it? JK

No the valving cannot make up for the spring being too stiff.