Sign in to follow this  

Anyone have advice for lowering a CRF250?

Help ! Okay guys anyone have any ideas or advice ?

I am only 5'4" and 104 lbs ;-)

Here is what I've done so far :

~ Kuba link

~ cut seat foam

~ revalved forks

~ re-drilled sub-frame

Any other ideas ?

Damn, maybe I need to just make my mx boots into 'high heels' :banghead:

Is advice from a girl ok? :-) I would not lower it if I were you. I'm 5'1" and 98 lbs and didn't lower mine due to the compromise in suspension. However, I race motocross so I need max travel. What riding are you doing? 5'4" should be plenty tall enough to start your bike. I can't start mine without standing on something but I've learned to go around to the starter side of the bike face backwards and kick it. Works fine, not always practical and looks funny but whatever. Is your bike an R or X?

An R of course !

I'm riding that bike mx

I have a 150 for trail riding and another 250 for supermoto ~ and due to the Excel rims and slicks that 250 is fine height-wise

May be just a mental thing, but I feel that my bike just doesn't 'feel right'

I am probably going to take it back to Nor Cal and have him look at it again :banghead:

My wife is only 5'2" and has been riding a CR85... we got her the CRF250R and tried the kouba link, but it made it handle weird. You can only drop the front end a little bit. Heres what works (she can touch as well on the CRF250R as I can on my 450 and I'm 5'8").

0. Brand New CRF250R - poor girl cant even tippie-toe... I was "forced" to race it ;-) She's riding her GasGas. (which, by the way is an AWESOME short-persons bike)

1. Most Important - I sent the front and rear susp to Jim at Trackside Engineering. He gave us the SuperMoto treatment - 2" lowering front and rear + revalve for my light wife. The suspension is pheonomanal now - it rides like it did before and is perfect for her and now she can tippie-toe!... cost $500.

2. Next, Cut the SeatFoam. I first cut it with the step, but she couldnt swing her leg over it. I cut it really low in back - almost nothing... you dont sit there much anyway right? :banghead:

Both 1 and 2 got her to the point where she could touch realtively well, unless it was an off-camber area... MOst of the time she could touch well enough to start the bike.

3. I just did this - you mentioned you re-drilled the subframe... I did that on a YZ250F, but on the CR, it has the end on it - solution, I whipped up some new ends on my handy-dandy CNC mill... Dropped the rear of the seat by 3" (had to make a couple brackets for the exhaust and the mud flap though).

4. Now the bars feel high, so we got her low-rize Azonics and I milled a set of Scott bar adapters so they sit really low. Perfecto!

PHotos attached... most people just want to bolt something on, but you really need to have the suspension modified. I HIGHLY recommend it... and it only takes a week and 5% of the bikes cost. Additionally, you get professional advice on valving.

-J

ShortGirl-ShortBike

New Subframe End

Making The Subframe End

you need to have the forks lowered to match the kouba link.

If you don't do this the bike will not handle properly.

you also need proper spring installed for your weight!

It is better to just shorten the shock but the link really does not work to bad if the front is matched.

then take foam out of the seat.

I still think that even 5'2" isn't too short for the stock height of the CRF250r, IMHO. I'm 5'1" and manage fine. Suspension/springs changes are a must for the weight but you really sacrafice by lowering. Why must you touch both feet anyway? I can't touch on mine but I manage fine because mostly I'm on the bike :-). At 5'4" you should be plenty tall enough to touch and start it. Maybe the spring is too stiff in back and doesn't go down the 4" of sag like it should. Once I got that set up I could reach a little better. Also, be careful if you start cutting your seat. We cut the seat on my 250 with disasterous results. My husband shaved most of the foam off and sure enough I could touch but it put my body in the wrong place as I was forced to sit back more because there wasn't a seat to hold me up and toward the bars. So my bars were really high and everything was just out of sync. Made cornering impossible. I hated it! I only did like 3 laps and we went and bought a new seat. If you do cut your seat, just cut the middle toward the front and leave the back intact as that holds you up so your center of gravity is over the center of the bike. I've even seen after market seat foam like that. There's a little hump in the seat that sort of keeps you from sliding backwards.

Slim54

you should not tie bad suspension to amount of suspenion travel.

you can have 12 inches of travel and still have bad suspension or worse than someone who has 10 inches of travel that is setup properly.

If a person feels more comfortable touching the ground than that is important.

It's about rider confidence, not opinion!

If you had a ride on a properly lowered 250 that was set up for your ability you would not notice any sacrifices.

In fact you would feel a bike that turns much easier and feels lighter.

The key is to lower it properly by having it done proffesionally.

A kouba link and pushing the forks up is not having the suspension done proffesionally

I have ridden a 250 with a kouba link and the forks proffesionaly dropped 1.5 inches and it turned better than stock.

I have the same 04 CRF250R. I am 5'4' as well. I cut my seat foam 1 3/4 inches and put softer springs in it. Set the sag correctly and pushed up the forks in the clamps.just a bit. The bike turns on a dime. I can touch the ground on my tippy toes and am able to start the bike myself, most times. Except if I'm on a goofy hill or I'm really tired.

You said you revalved the suspension but did you put in softer springs?? That makes a big difference on how the bike sits and feels too.

And is the sag correct.

Maybe your bars are not in the right position aswell??

I was just this last weekend comptinplating haveing it lowered an inch more professionally so I can touch a little better, but I don't think I am gonna.

Were in Cali are you?? Are you going to the TT I-5 ride in a few weeks??? I'll be there and if you want you can try my bike.

Slim54

you should not tie bad suspension to amount of suspenion travel.

you can have 12 inches of travel and still have bad suspension or worse than someone who has 10 inches of travel that is setup properly.

If a person feels more comfortable touching the ground than that is important.

It's about rider confidence, not opinion!

If you had a ride on a properly lowered 250 that was set up for your ability you would not notice any sacrifices.

In fact you would feel a bike that turns much easier and feels lighter.

The key is to lower it properly by having it done proffesionally.

A kouba link and pushing the forks up is not having the suspension done proffesionally

I have ridden a 250 with a kouba link and the forks proffesionaly dropped 1.5 inches and it turned better than stock.

I've never ridden or raced on a lowered suspension so I can't speak personally to that. I do know of a girl that did though, and after having it lowered for a while she decided to un-lower it because she noticed a sacrifice in performance on the track. Skill and confidence will play a part too. I started on an 80cc because I could touch. But now, on my 250, I'm able to jump and corner my bike fine and it isn't lowered but the suspension is set up for my weight and it works great! I guess it depends on what the bike will be used for too. For racing MX, max suspension travel is important, trails not so much, so that is a consideration for sure. I just want other women to know that you can get confident riding a bike that is a little tall, just takes some getting used to.

My opinion :banghead:

I think its just cool to see the women riders on here helping each other..... :banghead:

I personally sponsor 1 of the fastest women riders in the country and know first hand that it can take a little work to make the bigger bikes handle good. Since most of ya are small & petite :banghead: it can be just like working with a rider coming off of 85's onto the big bikes.

Hopefully ya'll found the right help or are headed in the right direction, and if not just keep asking and we'll try to help🤣

doc

My opionion 🤣

everybodies got one!!🤣

and you got attitude too! :banghead::banghead:

Just teasing, it's good to see you girls venturing into the deep dark world of tuning.

One thing about bike setup and suspension is no two people are alike or like the exact same things!

That keeps Doc happy!🤣

It's great to have girls that not only ride but want to ride well!

:banghead: I am a little feisty and I love MX!🤣

Man, a guy couldn't ask for more than that...... :banghead:🤣

doc

That's what my hubby says🤣

Well, he's right and I know first hand cuz my wife is the same way......with a touch of attitude thrown in🤣:banghead::banghead:

doc