Sign in to follow this  

Standing up while cornering... few questions.

Today @the local mx track I took a couple of laps with no sitting in corners, to see if there are corners which I can save myself the transition.

Basically I tried weighing the outside peg, position myself fwd, but I'm still a bit afraid to lean the bike.

Are there any tips for cornering faster while standing up? Any corners which I'd be faster standing - I guess that tight, berm corners would be faster sitting down...

This is also very helpfull in trails and enduros.

Long sweeper corners are the best to stand up on, the more corners you can find to stand up and not sit down the more energy you can save for later.

Long sweeper corners are the best to stand up on, the more corners you can find to stand up and not sit down the more energy you can save for later.

...And the more speed you gain. If its a normal MX turn though, your probably slowing yourself down more by standing up rather than sitting. Try timing your laps while standing up through the turns and sitting down through the turns. I predict you'll have faster lap times sitting down in normal corners (not sweepers).

There was a guy who one like the first supercross ever, Marty Tripes, who rode each motocross race entirely on the pegs - he never sat - even on hairpins, and he was fast! So it can be done and it can be fast!

:banghead:

Get comfortable letting the bike slide while on the pegs, that helped me alot when I started standing in corners. I have days where I stand through everything but switch backs, makes it easier to handle obsticals right out of the corner, and I can react faster when something suprises me or I start to slide.

There was a guy who one like the first supercross ever, Marty Tripes, who rode each motocross race entirely on the pegs - he never sat - even on hairpins, and he was fast! So it can be done and it can be fast!

:banghead:

Marty was very fast and had a reputation for destroying bikes.

Dwight

Marty was very fast and had a reputation for destroying bikes.

Dwight

He was also a little heavy and used to break a few footpegs. If I remember correctly.

Well, after gathering the information, here's a quick summary:

You will not get the quickest turning speed standing in tight corners, but it could save energy for transitions (stand->sit->turn->stand)

In long sweepers and direction changes it doesn't matter

For enduros/ long rides where turning speed matters less and energy matters the most, it's better to stand

I need to practice my balance, and try to lean the bike more when standing up

Thanks for the tips all.

I saw a picture sequence of Bubba riding through a deep rut, he was standing on one side of his bike, in other words, he had swung his right leg over to the left side of his bike so that both legs were on the left side and he was FLYING through the rutted section. Amazing.

through the fast sweepers ride the back brake a little while your accellerating

1-this will squat the rear end of the motorcycle.

2- it will stop your rear shock rebounding so the balance of the motorcycle dosent get upset

3- it also pulls the front wheel around and stops it from washing.

any time your standing and feel the front start to wash or as prevention apply a little rear break feathering this will hold the front in.