Slight fuel leak - float needle?

I have a slight fuel leak, intermittent, out of the drain/overflow tube on the carb. This is the hose that comes out just below the drain screw (it's not the drain screw. I had just adjusted the float level, but I set it higher (carb upside down), which should make the gas level lower. I cleaned the jet seat with a Q-tip, and this fixed it for a little while, but it came back.

Any suggestions?

- The needle looks good.

- The needle and seat are expensive (~$40) Can I get one cheaper somewhere?

- Is there any other way fuel can get to the drain/overflow hose. I figure it ultimately has to come through the main jet.

I had the same problem. I adjusted my float level, it was too high. Since you have already done this, i am thinking there might be a little dust or dirt in the seat. It sound like that because you cleaned it and it worked for a while until dust or dirt got back in. All i would say is try some fresh gas, and be very careful there is absolutely no dirt is in the can. I had that happen once also. I am pretty sure if the needle was worn you would be able to see a ring around is there it contacts the seat. Hope it helps.

I have an 04 YZ250F. When the bike was about four rides old I had a similar problem. Turned out that there is a gasket type doohickey in the petcock (black plastic). The petcock had gouged out a couple tiny chunks (from sitting in the showroom dry???) and they found their way down and would get stuck in the needle. They were too big to come through all the way, thankfully, but small enough that I missed them the first time I took the carb off and apart. Once I removed them, problem solved. To replace the gasket thing is like five bucks. I bought a new one, but never put it in. I just flipped the chewed up one over and it works fine. Otherwise, the gas never shuts completely off at the petcock.