Sign in to follow this  

Recent ACL tear...

I just recently tore my ACL completely off. I took a bit of a tumble down a hill and twisted it funny along the way. It didn't seem like much at the time, but what they say about ACL's is true. You do hear a poping noise and it does swell up to a basketball.

And the worst thing about it was that I have CTI's and was wearing them at the time. I got CTI specifically so that I wouldn't have problems. I'm so choked. And I'm even more choked at Innovative Sports attitude about it. I called their tech support and the first guy I left a message for didn't even call me back and the second guy didn't really seem to care. I'm definitely not impressed with their product or support after. The hype over these braces is pretty big, but they really let me down.

Luckily I have an appointment with a surgeon next month. Hopefully I can get surgery asap so that I can be rehabilitated for next summer.

Welcome to the fine print: "No brace can prevent all injuries from occurring. Extreme caution and good judgement should be used when participating in activities that could cause serious injury to the wearer of said device." :banghead:

I made that up... :applause: I feel your pain. I was wearing two Asterisk braces and ended up tearing my ACL in my good knee just putting my foot down. And I was wearing them on both knees because of the already torn ACL in my left knee, and the fact they come in pairs.

The only way to look at it is like this: it "could've" been much worse if you weren't wearing any. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I'm rehabbing mine without surgery since I'll need both ACL's repaired now. Good luck with your decision.

Dual dog, if a brace is supposed to prevent abnormal anterior excursion of your tibia relative to your femur, and you tear your acl, then how much worse an injury could you have had if you weren't wearing the braces?

After performing 1500-2000 ACL reconstructions, I don't seem to know.

One more thing, "That's my story and I'm sticking to it," is my line. LOL

Dual dog, if a brace is supposed to prevent abnormal anterior excursion of your tibia relative to your femur, and you tear your acl, then how much worse an injury could you have had if you weren't wearing the braces?

After performing 1500-2000 ACL reconstructions, I don't seem to know.

One more thing, "That's my story and I'm sticking to it," is my line. LOL

Yeah, I shouldn't have done that, take "your" line... :banghead:

So what exactly are you're saying? No one should ride wearing knee braces? Go ahead and risk injuring your knee further until surgery is an option?

What do you recommend to riders/patients that have torn ACL's, cause not withstanding, that can't afford or aren't able to have surgery? Stop riding because an appliance will do more harm than good?

Are you saying since I tore mine in martial arts when I was 23, I shouldn't ride anymore unless I can "afford" surgery? Or are you saying ride with (or without) braces and take your chances?

I wear heavy MX socks, a neoprene knee sleeve that I bought at Wallgreens for 12 dollars, over that I wear shin protectors that have a knee guard, like a clamshell, that goes over the patella. On top of that I wear my Tech 10s and the usual MX pants over that.

I just don't wear a fancy and expensive knee brace because there is no undisputed scientific evidence that wearing these knee braces will decrease the incidence of ACL injuries. Forget the PCL in theses cases because even the manufacturers will tell you that the brace is not even designed for anything other that protecting the ACL (which it doesn't)

A more important reason not to mess with these in MX is the outrageous number of femur fractures which always seem to occur at the transitional zone where the unprotected femur begins and the brace ends. MX included, I have never treated a femur fracture from any sport, excluding an endurorider who hit a tree, where the athlete's knee was not braced.

Having said that, if you have a deficient ACL knee, the brace will not protect you. You should have the ACL reconstructed or you are taking to great a risk in riding. If you don't have insurance, then purchase it. If not, I'll do it fo a deep discount.

That my story and I'm sticking to it.

Like our state verb, fixing to, thats a Texas expression

I wish they had perfected the Patellar Graft procedure a long time ago when I first hurt my left knee in '83. I would've had that procedure done then. Now that I have two torn ACL's it's even harder to convince the insurance provider that I "need" both repaired since only one is a recent injury.

I'll keep what you've said in mind. Right now we're inbetween coverages so everything is on hold...

Hangin' & goin' loco in So Cal.

I've read about a few different areas to graft a new ACL from. Which is better?

The Patela seems like such a small ligament to begin with. I'm a little nervous about a surgeon taking more from it. My hamstrings on the other hand are quite large from what I've been told and I would think I'd have more to share from the hamstring anyway.

Then perhaps I could have a larger acl inserted. How about that? Is that possible?

The patella graft has bone attached at the ends. The hamstring graft has not. The bone to bone healing occurs by one month so early return to sports is possible after three months. The hamstring tendon has to heal to bone. That is an uncertain process. Hamstring patients have to sit out a year.

Both will work okay. The question is how long do you want to sit out. My experience is that MXers (myself included) are interested in doing everything fast. So it is your decision.

BTW I have revised dozens of hamstring grafts and cadaver grafts to patella tendons in MXers. I have never done the reverse. I think that for non contact sports hamstrings are okay, but MX is beyond a contact sport. Its in its own catagory.

Happily, I have never installed anything but the opposite patella tendon in an MXer in two years. Many of my guys are on this website, most though live on houstonmotocross.com. None of the MX athletes are ever sorry.

The patella graft has bone attached at the ends. The hamstring graft has not. The bone to bone healing occurs by one month so early return to sports is possible after three months. The hamstring tendon has to heal to bone. That is an uncertain process. Hamstring patients have to sit out a year.

Both will work okay. The question is how long do you want to sit out. My experience is that MXers (myself included) are interested in doing everything fast. So it is your decision.

BTW I have revised dozens of hamstring grafts and cadaver grafts to patella tendons in MXers. I have never done the reverse. I think that for non contact sports hamstrings are okay, but MX is beyond a contact sport. Its in its own catagory.

Happily, I have never installed anything but the opposite patella tendon in an MXer in two years. Many of my guys are on this website, most though live on houstonmotocross.com. None of the MX athletes are ever sorry.

Thanks for the info. I have an appointment in Oct to see a surgeon. I'm not sure which method he prefers. I do like the quick healing of the patella method.

I'm also going to see someone about my CTI's and make damn sure they fit me right. The person who fitted me originally did such a poor job that we had to send them back. Then on the second measuring she made comments like "hmm, that doesn't seem right", and "wow, thats odd". I have no confidence in her at all.

Renes,

Nevermind what your doctor would like to do, if you plan on riding after surgery, use the patella graft. If you don't plan on riding or living an active lifestyle, use one of the other grafts.

The Doc re-did mine and countless other non-patella grafts....they will fail under the stresses of motocross more times than they won't. I don't know a motocrosser that hasn't had a non-patella graft re done atleast once. Local pros Sean Kirby, Todd Kirby and Jeff Dement have had 11 acl surgeries between them before they had their last patella graft surgeries done.

If your doctor prefers another method....come on down to Texas and let Dr Sanders fix you up right. Being back on the bike in a couple of months isn't too bad either (although if you ask your doctor if that's possible, he will probably look at you like you grew a ***** on your forehead) :banghead:

Renes,

Nevermind what your doctor would like to do, if you plan on riding after surgery, use the patella graft. If you don't plan on riding or living an active lifestyle, use one of the other grafts.

The Doc re-did mine and countless other non-patella grafts....they will fail under the stresses of motocross more times than they won't. I don't know a motocrosser that hasn't had a non-patella graft re done atleast once. Local pros Sean Kirby, Todd Kirby and Jeff Dement have had 11 acl surgeries between them before they had their last patella graft surgeries done.

If your doctor prefers another method....come on down to Texas and let Dr Sanders fix you up right. Being back on the bike in a couple of months isn't too bad either (although if you ask your doctor if that's possible, he will probably look at you like you grew a ***** on your forehead) :banghead:

Wow, the Patella is that much better then. Hmmm, maybe I better check my doctors web site out and find out what he does. I still have another 3 weeks to wait for the appointment and it would be a waste if he only does non-patellas.

ACLs F@#$ing suck. I tore mine about a year ago. Luckily I got hooked up with an exelent orto surgen. He preformed a cadaver graft acl replacement on my right knee. Using a cadaver ACL prevents you from having your patellar ligament or hamstring tendon compromised. If surgery is nececary, I definetly recomend the cadaver graft. Its also really fun telling people that you have dead guy parts in your knee.

Rehab is the most important aspect of treatment of knee injuries. My reconstructed knee feels excelent now and I am convinced that it had everything to do with my dedication to rehab. My surgen even told me "anyone can do the surgery, the patient has to do the real work."

I wear asterisk braces now. No braces can prevent twisting injuries, like you described, but they definetly help prevent side to side and hyper-extension injuries.

Good luck Renes.

Damn!! If only had known about the cadaver graft!!

I had the patella graft 8 years ago. You are right in wondering if the subtraction of part of your patella tendon will not be beneficial. It isn't. It's like trading one problem for another. Now, although I have a psuedo ACL in place, I now have a substantially weakened patella tendon. What it really kills is my ability to run and jump. I used to play a little basketball back in the day, and, right before my injury, could almost dunk the basketball. Now I can't even touch the rim. That's cool, though. I had to switch from skateboarding and snowboarding to mountain biking and dirtbikes.

Whatever way you decide to go, understand that you MUST ride a bicycle. There is no better way to get back your mobility. If you can't ride a bike, atleast do ALL the physical therapy your doctor perscribes.

Also, stay away from punk shows, booze and streetfights. Bad combo for bad knees.

Allografts are for light duty cases. MX is a super heavy duty sport.

Allograft ACLs will fail in MXer. At least they all do in Texas.

Intelligent rehab, and harvest of the opposite patella tendon is the answer to the harvest problems Charles has brought up.

Allografts are for light duty cases. MX is a super heavy duty sport.

Allograft ACLs will fail in MXer. At least they all do in Texas.

Intelligent rehab, and harvest of the opposite patella tendon is the answer to the harvest problems Charles has brought up.

Holy crap. My doctor is going to be so impressed with my knowledge of acl repairs. LOL

Opposite patella harvesting? Good idea. I called my doctors nurse today and she says he prefers patella, but will do hamstring grafting if necessary. Thats sounds good for me. It sounds like they might be able to get me in for surgery in Feb. Hopefully I'll be ready for light riding by spring.

Well good luck. The Canadian health system get guys into surgery in five months? In the States, you cold get it done next week. Thats some system they have there.

Well good luck. The Canadian health system get guys into surgery in five months? In the States, you cold get it done next week. Thats some system they have there.

I pay about $40 a month and pretty much get unlimited coverage, never get turned away at hospitals for not having insurance and will never get dumped by my insurance company for too many claims. When I lived in Dallas I priced out insurance at $200 a month and that was 10 years ago.

How about that system now?

PS: My surgeon is taking November and December off. That is most of the delay.

My gal riding buddy has just gone onto one year and is pretty frustrated with the whole system in our area. I'm not quite sure of the specifics but basically I believe the Doc wanted to wait to see if the bone chip that yanked off with the ACL would remesh, it hasn't.

When she did it I remember telling her to push for surgery due to her being a female (darn wide hips) and the need to return to Dirtbiking. She thinks her Doc hasn't been willing to take her seriously as she is a female in her late 30's.

She never even got a MRI done.

It took me almost 4 months to get an MRI on my rotator cuff. Looking back now I would have just gone in and paid for the darn thing.

Canada has some wonderful benefits to it's medical system and some very sad stories (mostly surgical). If you never really need it too much than $40/month is great in Alberta but, if you live in BC, you might risk your life waiting for surgery (heart, organ, emergency transport to the nearest hosptial, etc) or lose a good part of your aging health waiting for, say, hip replacement. Our system is in trouble financially. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

Renes, is your doctor taking November and December off because he/she has all ready done his/her alloted operations for the year and the system will not pay him/her for any further work?

I have heard that that is the case in Canada and would like you to educate me on whether or not that often heard rumor is true.

Forty dollars per month, or 400 dollars per month? Both are a small price to pay for having a leg that works, no?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

My gal riding buddy has just gone onto one year and is pretty frustrated with the whole system in our area. I'm not quite sure of the specifics but basically I believe the Doc wanted to wait to see if the bone chip that yanked off with the ACL would remesh, it hasn't.

When she did it I remember telling her to push for surgery due to her being a female (darn wide hips) and the need to return to Dirtbiking. She thinks her Doc hasn't been willing to take her seriously as she is a female in her late 30's.

Honest, I think there are alot of doctors out there that don't take their patients seriously. But there are some great ones too. Personally I have a great doctor now. She saw the pain I was in and got me in for an MRI within 5 days. She's pretty active too so she understands the need for me to get "back on the horse".

If you never really need it too much than $40/month is great in Alberta but, if you live in BC, you might risk your life waiting for surgery (heart, organ, emergency transport to the nearest hosptial, etc) or lose a good part of your aging health waiting for, say, hip replacement.

You kinda bring up a good point here. "Canada" doesn't really have a health care system. The provinces do. The feds give out cash to the provinces, but it is up to the provinces to govern their own health care.