new '06 suspension ??? 's

My bike new CRF450R '06...my weight 230 , my skill level, faster novice, ride MX only in AZ. My question is this... clearly, I will need new springs. I'm thinking .49's in front and a 5.8 titanium in rear. Is there any sense in riding the stock suspension for a while to break it in and get used to it in order to be able to tell the difference when the correct springs are put in. After a couple rides I'm sure it will feel way to soft. Or, should I just put the correct springs in right away. I'm gonna hold on the revalve for a month or so to eval. the stock valves. I know some people take their bikes and have the new springs and revalve done before they even ride them for the first time...but how do you know if you like the revalve better????

Thanks,

Change the springs right away, lighten up the compression dampening if you feel it is tight/new. I hate the way the stock spring ride in the linkage range. By the time you ride on the track and set your spokes, suspension will be broke in.

I'm 225lbs and ride Vet B. I'm breaking it in stock & after one ride can tell it'll need stiffer springs.

I'm going w/.49's & 1.61 pressure springs w/less oil up front & 5.7 in the rear. I used this combo on my '04 and it worked great.

I'm 225lbs and ride Vet B. I'm breaking it in stock & after one ride can tell it'll need stiffer springs.

I'm going w/.49's & 1.61 pressure springs w/less oil up front & 5.7 in the rear. I used this combo on my '04 and it worked great.

I wouldnt recomend going to the 1.6 ICS at your wieght. When you make the change from .48 to .49 with an ICS of 1.6, you'll end up with an overall rate thats actually lower than your .48 with the stock ICS.

Hope you aren't too confused by the differing opinions of what to do. Bottom line is, people have different preferences setup-wise. I'd ride it first, let it break in, change the oil as mentioned earlier, then start messing with the oil heights, clickers and springs. By doing changes with it already broken in, you'll know what's affected what.

Who knows, you may like the setup as is and just messing with the clickers. However, most guys prefer stiffer springs, myself included (.49's front, stock rear, 210 vet. int).

Be patient and enjoy the ride.

do yourself a favour bud and just go to race tech or pro action or something and get them to set it up for you - it will cost more short term but you really will thank yourself after you take it for a ride( I think of it like investing in protection for myself like a helmet)- less kick, better bump absorbtion and less scary moments on the track all round. People say oh yeah - just get .49s on the front and i tried this at first, its a quick fix at the end of the day - your arms and balls will feel a lot less battered after racing too.

good luck man - thats a nice bike you have right there!

Everyone has a different opinion on this stuff. The truth is everyone should have their bike at least sprung to their weight. You cannot get the race sag set correctly with the wrong rear spring, and with a too soft front your front end is riding too low in the stoke to handle properly. Or if the front is too stiff, which the 450 is for most riders. It will not turn in properly because of not enough front sag.

According to the race tech site, your 230lb weight you should be on a .478 fork spring. So the stock .47s should be good for you. If you have any issues try adjusting the clickers one click at a time. Or adjust fork oil level, but keep in mind that oil level adjustment only affect the last 1/4 of stroke.

The rear, calls for a 5.66 the closest is a 5.7. Stock should be a 5.5, so chances are you can't get you sag set properly?

I would get the stiffer rear spring, and leave the front alone. Then ride it and tune from there.

question ? how can you get the right sag with the stock rear spring with out having to tighten the spring 3/4 of the way down ? why did you not get a stiffer rear spring as well ? thx...

For whatever reason, the stock rear spring, when set at 100mm of race sag leaves me with 25mm of free sag. I know I'm heavier than the target group, but the rates seem to work for me. From what I've read, there is a margin of error on the oem springs that can make them stiffer or softer than stock (front or rear). So maybe I just lucked out on the stiffer side. To be honest, my stock '03 rear gave me the same results as well.

I can't believe that the Race Tech spring rate gauge is applicable to our bikes. It just seems to run WAY off from where riders, mags, suspension shops recommend. Although I think ShawnMC was about to explain that...

Racetech spring rates are for...why do I even bother anymore....

do a search on spring rates....

What Shawn_Mc was probably going to say was that Racetech spring rates are for Racetech valving- and known to be on the light side because their valving is stiffer. This was discussed a multitude of times in previous threads that you can search.

I weigh 210 and am a 'c' rider in MX with an 04. .49 in the front and 5.7 in the rear is just right for my weight and riding style. You might need even stiffer springs- just call Factory Connection or go to their website- it will give you more standard settings for you then Racetech will, if you don't want/need a revalve at this time.

I'm gonna have MB1 do the revalve...and the rates given were recommended by him.. I'm gonna wait for a while on the revalve so I can get used to stock and then really be able to tell (or not) if I like the revalve...I think I'm gonna go with .50's up front and a 5.8 Ti spring as he says to use a softer spring when using Ti. Apparently a 5.8 Ti spring is close to a 5.9-6.0 steel spring.