Sign in to follow this  

Is a crf150 too small for me?

I'm thinking of getting a light trail bike. I'm 6ft 160 pounds. Would the 150 be too small? I don't plan on being very aggressive on it, but I'm afraid the 150 won't have enough power to haul my ass up steep hills.

With DRZ400 experience I'd say you'd be a lot more comfortable on something in the 200 2smoke range if you want a light weight trail bike. KTM200EXC, KDX200/KDX220. The CRF150 weighs the same as the 200cc 2smoke trail bikes and has less than 1/3 the horsepower. The CRF150 suspension is not designed for a 180lb person (with gear) but that said, my son's is fun to ride. I prefer the TTR125LE at 179lbs over the CRF at 216lbs but to each his own.

Even if you don't ride aggresive, It's nice to have the extra low end torque, which you won't have with a 150.Think about a 230.

With DRZ400 experience I'd say you'd be a lot more comfortable on something in the 200 2smoke range if you want a light weight trail bike. KTM200EXC, KDX200/KDX220. The CRF150 weighs the same as the 200cc 2smoke trail bikes and has less than 1/3 the horsepower. The CRF150 suspension is not designed for a 180lb person (with gear) but that said, my son's is fun to ride. I prefer the TTR125LE at 179lbs over the CRF at 216lbs but to each his own.

The 2smokers you mentioned are out of my price range. Plus, I've heard bad things about the reliability of 2 strokes.

I considered the ttr125. I like the low weight, but I don't like that it has less suspension travel than the 150. Would the 125 have enough power?

So my 160 pounds would be too much for the crf150 suspension? If that's true, I may have to go with a crf230. I do like that the 150 is cheaper, lighter, and lower.

The 2smokers you mentioned are out of my price range. Plus, I've heard bad things about the reliability of 2 strokes.

I considered the ttr125. I like the low weight, but I don't like that it has less suspension travel than the 150. Would the 125 have enough power?

So my 160 pounds would be too much for the crf150 suspension? If that's true, I may have to go with a crf230. I do like that the 150 is cheaper, lighter, and lower.

The 200 smokers are ultra reliable trail bikes that require little to no engine maintenance other than typical oil changes and air filter cleanings for years of hard riding. I do understand the cost issue.

Retail on a KDX200 is $4,199.00. Retail on a CRF230 is $3,599.00. For someone of your height and weight, looking for a "lightweight" trail bike that's going to be used as your only offroad bike, I would seriously think about the 200.

If you have your mind set on a midsized 4 stroke trail bike, the CRF150 and TTR125 are about all that there are going. As an only bike I'd choose the CRF150 due to the larger feel of the bike, better suspension and extra power. Having a 250 already, I choose to ride the TTR125LE when I want to goof around on a smaller bike because it is much lighter (more flickable), and just seems more fun to ride. I've upgraded it with BBR springs, Frame Cradle, IMS pegs, IMS shifter, Rally Pro hand guards, BBR filter kit, BBR Chain guide, free mods, rejet and Pro Taper SE Honda Mini bend bars which are a little taller than the stock bars. Even with all the mods, I'd still say the stock CRF150 is probably a better all around bike when looked at from the perspective of an only bike.

Just my opinion.

One both the 125 and the 150 your going to be cramped, not enough room for your legs, you might be fine riding around for an hour but after that you wont like it. The 2 strokes mentioned above are great bikes and designed for trails, very low end power, not like a track racer, I lug a 200 KDX better than our CRF 150 any time. 2 Strokes by the way are very easy to take care of, racers will need new top ends often but not the bikes mentioned here. You can find either the ktm 200 or a kdx 200 for around 2K for a 2000-2001 year model, I know I just bought one for my son (5'6" and 115) that came off a 150. Dont go to low, riding position is more critical than anything you can do or modify. At your hieght I would not consider anything other than a 200 KDX or KTM (EXC) or a 250 class. That DRZ is not only a tall bike but very heavy also, it also rides much heavier than bikes of the same size.

A CRF230 is a great bike but for your size I would consider an XR250 instead, first of all youll have a little more room, it weighs about the same as the 230 and is a much more capable bike (no offense tot he 230 folks).

Good Luck,

Mark

One other thing: The CRF230 and XR250 are very comparable in weight (240lbs) and the XR250 is a much better all around bike. It has much more power, better brakes, better suspension and is build much stouter all around.

Getting into the CRF230/XR250 class bikes takes you out of the "lightweight" realm.

Hey Folks you gotta look at this XR250, I went and rode it, it is sick, like new and runs like a champ....I might still buy it if my wife lets me, great bike for her or as a guest bike for me, but would be a great bike for the trails. I just could not believe how good of shape it was. Has a moose shock, think the story went that this was owned by one of the guys that started moose racing? NOt sure though. Oh and its registered and pated in Colorado.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/92085296.html

The bike behnd this one is an 88 very nice also.

I guess if the 2 strokes are reliable, I don't have a problem with them. I don't care for the engine braking in 4 strokes anyway. The thing is, they don't sell the KDX200 in canada. I had to go to a US site to find it. We have a KDX220R. Similar weight and seat height, but $5799 CND. A big difference compared to the CRF230 $4399 CND. Plus, the seat height on the KDX220 is as high as my DRZ. That's one thing I didn't like about the DRZ. That's and the thing weighs a ton.

One other thing: The CRF230 and XR250 are very comparable in weight (240lbs) and the XR250 is a much better all around bike. It has much more power, better brakes, better suspension and is build much stouter all around.

Getting into the CRF230/XR250 class bikes takes you out of the "lightweight" realm.

Well, compared to my DRZ, just about anything is "lightweight". But that is why I'm considering the CRF150. Although, there is only 15 lbs between the 230 and the new 150.

BTW, they don't sell the xr250 in canada anymore.

I guess if the 2 strokes are reliable, I don't have a problem with them. I don't care for the engine braking in 4 strokes anyway. The thing is, they don't sell the KDX200 in canada. I had to go to a US site to find it. We have a KDX220R. Similar weight and seat height, but $5799 CND. A big difference compared to the CRF230 $4399 CND. Plus, the seat height on the KDX220 is as high as my DRZ. That's one thing I didn't like about the DRZ. That's and the thing weighs a ton.

I think the suspension on the KDX is softer but really my son has no problem with it, but its your comfort level you have to work with, look for used, its a much better buy.

There are only 2 2 strokes I would buy, a KDX or a KTM 200E/MXC. Yeh no XR250 here anymore either, but you cant og wrong with a used one, you cant break it.