Can you give me as much info on Superstition as possible?

There are two ways. First, I'm assuming that you are coming from San Diego. Take 8 east. Exit on Dunaway road and make a left. The road will come to a "T" and you'll make a right. This is Old 80 (Evan Hewes). It's a couple of miles down, but you'll make a left on Huff Rd. Follow this for about seven miles (I think) and you'll come to Wheeler Rd. You can make a left on this and it'll take you to the dry lakebed and the base of Superstition Mountain. Or, you keep on Huff for about a mile or so, and there is a huge staging area on your left. This is "the dip." From there, you can ride to Plaster City and Ocotillo Wells, if your tank is big enough. Everything from rocky hill climbs, sand dunes, desert washes, and trails.

Here is a (not very good) map of the area of Superstition to the north to Hwy 78. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/Soylentgreenispeople/Superstition%20Mountain/superstitionmountain_0001flipped.jpg

We usually stage just west or east of the plaster plant in Plaster City (20 minutes or so riding from Superstition Mountain).

8 east - take the exit to Ocotillo (this is not Ocotillo Wells, but Ocotillo). Turn left and then right on Old Hwy 80. Go about 7 miles down - we usually stage west of the plant where Hwy 80 makes a bend, but we also stage just east of the plant.

There are no facilities - open desert camping. Usually at Superstition you get a lot more campers and riders because of the sand dunes there, but nothing compared to Ocotillo Wells. Area is patrolled by the BLM,but you rarely see them.

We usually make our weekend day trips out to Plaster City, and do overnights at Ocotillo Wells mid-week. Even holiday weekends out at Plaster City it doesn't get crazy crowded like Ocotillo Wells.

From Plaster City, we like to ride

out to Painted Gorge

ride the trails south of Hwy 80 to the freeway

head over to Superstition mountain

make the loop from Plaster City - Superstition - north then under the rail tracks - and head back south on the west side of the rail tracks.

We have done the ride from Blu Inn to Superstition too, which is real fun.

Don't know if it would be faster coming down the 15 and then take the 8 in SD or go by way of Indio. My guess the first - it would be 3 1/2 hours or so from Ontario this way.

I am not an expert about the mountain at Superstition. I'll go up the from south side and up to the TV towers, but riding sand dunes all day isn't my bag. I prefer the open desert and the established trails there, so I haven't done much exploring into the mountain itself. Jeeps and Quad guys seem to like it, but its not a paddle tire type of area. I am sure if you google it, you can see some pictures of the area.

Rode there this afternoon for the first time in a couple of months, this has been a hot summer. I usually ride in the area every weekend, let me know if you want to go for a ride.I'm not the fastest but I can show you some good loops.

Superstition is great. :banghead: It has everything for riders. Wide open areas to camp in, fun for kids and adults and never too crowded, even on Holiday weekends. Been going there myself since 67, racing there since 73 and play riding ever since. If you don't like a lot of heat, wait until Oct 1st and you will be fine. Have fun! :applause: Steny

15 south until you hit the 8 (where Qualcomm Stadium is).

8 East from there all the way. When you get out of the mountains and to the desert floor,take the Ocotillo offramp. Then its 7 miles on old Hwy 80 to the plaster plant area and staging in Plaster City, but you can stage pretty much anywhere there.

Not very complicated.

Directions to Superstition were posted before.

If you are in a motor home or pulling a trailer, your transit time will differ from if you are in just a truck.