Another stupid question

Actually that is a good question. They are a directional tire, and it is on correctly. If you look at the side wall it will have an arrow showing the directional rotation.

The only reason I can think why the chevrons are pointed backwords is.......If you take those DeathWings off road, and look at your front tire. Its telling you to go back to the truck, and to the bike store to get better off road tires.

:applause::banghead:

Actually that is a good question. They are a directional tire, and it is on correctly. If you look at the side wall it will have an arrow showing the directional rotation.

The only reason I can think why the chevrons are pointed backwords is.......If you take those DeathWings off road, and look at your front tire. Its telling you to go back to the truck, and to the bike store to get better off road tires.

:applause::banghead:

What is the reasoning on that direction? The rear is opposite.

No doubt on the deathwing aspect! My first time off road with it (spanking new) and I laid it down. I'm not a newbie when it comes to woods riding. They do suck off road, to the point of useless. The rear would'nt even push the front over a 3" tree limb across a trail when I was making a slow u-turn.

I went for a short ride yesterday in light rain and wet asphault with a buddy on a Triumph 955 and the same DRZ tires had no problems. He was having huge problems on corners with the wide S-pattern tires. I was riding conservative and he could'nt keep up.

They work on the wet pavement. Now to decide on what to replace them with, another dual-sport quandry.

Try to not sprain anything but think about it............. :applause: What kind of forces do the front and rear tires see.........? Oh yeah, the rear tire mostly just accellerates the bike forward, while the front has more lateral forces on it, the strongest forces are in which direction????? Right :banghead: backwards when braking?

Try to not sprain anything but think about it............. :applause: What kind of forces do the front and rear tires see.........? Oh yeah, the rear tire mostly just accellerates the bike forward, while the front has more lateral forces on it, the strongest forces are in which direction????? Right :banghead: backwards when braking?

Interesting take and I follow your logic, engineer mind here and I am still not convinced.

From the forward aspect, the orientation will collect and not dig. Accelerating or de-accelerating, while in forward momentum, the rotation is the same. My take and hense the post: When braking would you rather disperse soil or water or gather it? That is where you logic lies AND mine. The COG moves forward while braking and although there is no drive to the front wheel, the action is the same unless the front wheel is locked up or going backwards, and I don't like doing that. I understand the mechanics of braking and the requisite 70/30. From a contact patch perspective it did'nt work in my head. In other words; yes you are braking but what are you braking on? Your still going forward.

Lateral forces by definition, would not be braking forces but more turning while at some speed. A side force of some kind.

Interesting take and I follow your logic, engineer mind here and I am still not convinced.

From the forward aspect, the orientation will collect and not dig. Accelerating or de-accelerating, while in forward momentum, the rotation is the same. My take and hense the post: When braking would you rather disperse soil or water or gather it? That is where you logic lies AND mine. The COG moves forward while braking and although there is no drive to the front wheel, the action is the same unless the front wheel is locked up or going backwards, and I don't like doing that. I understand the mechanics of braking and the requisite 70/30. From a contact patch perspective it did'nt work in my head. In other words; yes you are braking but what are you braking on? Your still going forward.

Lateral forces by definition, would not be braking forces but more turning while at some speed. A side force of some kind.

Aw...I'm starting to understand...engineer mind...question everything and believe nothing. These guys just gave you the correct answer. I had about 30 guys like you, engineers... mechanical, chemical, civil, petroleum, electrical, that worked for me and I miss 'em like a chapped ass...Good health and safe travels and give us a post when you get this figured out :banghead::applause:

But the braking force is in the opposite direction and there is no accelleration force on the front wheel, in fact due to friction there is a certain amount of decelleration force at all times. Add in braking and you get a significant increase in that force. I would think you would want to gather verses disperse soil, sand etc to increase braking ability.

And no, lateral forces are not braking forces, even though due to friction with the surface you are traveling on there is also a certain amount of decelleration involved there as well. I just mentioned it because that is at least one other form of force acting on the front tire.