Sign in to follow this  

Fuel injection

Does anyone know why dirtbikes are not fuel injected? I have spent countless hours getting the jetting and accelerator pump settings right and though I have to admit I have enjoyed doing it, wouldn't EFI eliminate all of this? Cannondale produced fuel injected bikes but they no longer make dirtbikes and I never heard of them winning with them when they did. I would love to know the story on it if anyone knows.

The two biggest barriers I see are weight and cost; with cost being the biggest hurdle.

The two biggest barriers I see are weight and cost; with cost being the biggest hurdle.

Do you think EFI would improve performance, though?

Yamaha just released a fuel injected Raptor 700 ATV, its only a matter of time before they perfect it and apply it to the motocross scene... no more jetting problems, no more hesitation, no more bog... just consistent fuel injection regardless of elevation or climate... oh how nice this would be on a bike....

... no more jetting problems, no more hesitation, no more bog... just consistent fuel injection regardless of elevation or climate... oh how nice this would be on a bike....

Thats What I Thought When I Bought My Gasgas 400,The Husaberg And VOR Have Been More Reliable That That POS,Main Problem Is Its EFI Not Very User Friendly When It Goes Wrong

Yamaha just released a fuel injected Raptor 700 ATV, its only a matter of time before they perfect it and apply it to the motocross scene... no more jetting problems, no more hesitation, no more bog... just consistent fuel injection regardless of elevation or climate... oh how nice this would be on a bike....

ya its coming but when it does well have to learn how to trick the computer in to thinking its colder out side to get more fuel in to it. kind of like changing a main jet.oh ya what if there is a glitch in th3e computer.ya going to have to take it down to the shop just to hook it up to their computer at 60 to 100$ a time just to find out the o2 sensor is out of wack or vice versa.i looked at a sherco and it looks very cool with all that space that is there where the carb goes.when fi does come i hope that you can tune them easyer than a carb and not being expensive about it. :banghead:

Do you think EFI would improve performance, though?

Do I think EFI would net more horsepower?

ehh probably not

Do I think EFI would help the bike run well anywhere?

Depends on how they implement the system. To work really well everywhere I feel a closed loop system needs to be used. However they will need to use a wideband O2 sensor so we arent stuck running at 14.7:1 AFR, but that increases complexity. Open loop systems are simple and can easily vary AFR for best power, but dont readjust for elevation chages well as there is no O2 sensor to check what the actual mixture turns out to be.

I feel that any EFI systems on dirt bikes should be easily remappable. Tuners should be able to easily change fuel and ignition maps for best power under given conditions.

but dont readjust for elevation chages well as there is no O2 sensor to check what the actual mixture turns out to be.

Couldn't they just take a barometric pressure reading to compensate for altitude? There are sensors that are small, cheap and made for that.

Ride on

Brewster

Couldn't they just take a barometric pressure reading to compensate for altitude? There are sensors that are small, cheap and made for that.

Ride on

Brewster

I see no reason why they couldnt. However they implement it all I really care about is that it works well and is easily tunable. But I think I'm asking too much with the tunable part (even though it wouldnt cost hardly anything to implement a serial port on the ECU).

Thanks for the insightful responses. I guess time will tell but if you will need to hook it up to the shops' computer to diagnose problems then this could get cost prohibitive pretty quick. I wonder if EFI could be made with an on-the-fly dial adjustment for remapping. Until the majors get it right I will continue to rely on your experience to make my ride run the way I want it to - Thanks again.

ya its coming but when it does well have to learn how to trick the computer in to thinking its colder out side to get more fuel in to it. kind of like changing a main jet.oh ya what if there is a glitch in th3e computer.ya going to have to take it down to the shop just to hook it up to their computer at 60 to 100$ a time just to find out the o2 sensor is out of wack or vice versa.i looked at a sherco and it looks very cool with all that space that is there where the carb goes.when fi does come i hope that you can tune them easyer than a carb and not being expensive about it. :banghead:

Basic tuning would be easier then you think. Need more fuel, raise the pressure need less, lower it. This is already standard tuning in the snowmobile world. :applause:

Latest tests of the Sherco 450i with fuel injection indicate the Spanish company (the enduro bikes are built in the south of France) has dialed in the fuel injection of the 450 thumper perfectly. The Australian, British and U.S. (Paul Clipper's TrailRider magazine) all universally say it works perfectly. No petcock, no choke, no hot start...just press the button and go. Given a season or two...the manufacturers can do it..

Does anyone know why dirtbikes are not fuel injected? I have spent countless hours getting the jetting and accelerator pump settings right and though I have to admit I have enjoyed doing it, wouldn't EFI eliminate all of this? Cannondale produced fuel injected bikes but they no longer make dirtbikes and I never heard of them winning with them when they did. I would love to know the story on it if anyone knows.

GasGas has a bike with FSE(450&500cc) and had for some years, and now Sherco has one now.

P.S. I have both GASGAS 400cc 02model and a GASGAS 450cc 05model and the 02 model had a bad cold start, specially after a long No-startime (days) but the new model 05 is no problem, it just starts, no mater what, and I had no troubel with it after I drowned it a lake

ATK is still making bikes maked off the cannondale design. I have an '05 ATK mx450 and it's fuel injected..

I am surprised it has not appeared sooner on other dirt machines besides the gas gas & cannondale. Suzuki & others have had some complications with efi. Yet they have had years to perfect it on other machines. When they came out with efi on the sport bikes there was no huge cost increase. The performance increased along with throttle response. It made the setting up the machine for different tracks actually easier. IMO the whole machine will be more reliable. They give credit to efi for cars lasting longer. You can imagine how much abuse an wear a excessive rich or lean running engine gets. I like having a carburetor, but most people don't take the time to tune it correctly. I see EFI definately being a benefit for them. :banghead: