Sign in to follow this  

my 90 DR650/250

Hey guys, I just bought myself a DR650. The bike is kind of a custom job. The bikes frame is a 250 and the guy I bought it from crammed in a 650 motor. I guess it shaves about 50 pounds off the bike. He had to do some custom work to the frame for it to fit in there. He extended the frame on the bottom and had to cut into the top of the frame for the carb to fit. I don't know if i like his work but the bike does run great. I really don't know much about these bikes but i really want to fix this bike up this winter. I have been trying to look for parts for it, but haven't had much luck. Were do you guys find parts for these bikes. What the guy said was if I were to get parts for the motor look for 650 parts and everything else look for 250 parts. Ill post some pictures of the bike and please leave some input on what you guys think I should do with it. It's a fun bike to ride. I don't think I will be driving it much on the road mainly on dirt.

dr650.jpg

If you guys want more pictures of up close on the custom job I could take some more.

man i would be afraid of driving this thing. i dont know the differences between the 250 and 650 frame but i would think its rigidity and weight. post some more pics of the bike

oh its fine, I've been riding it the past week off road. I've been jumping it and it seems to be doing fine. But what do i know :banghead:

Is there an airbox?

Don't know if I would ride that thing much...a heavy 650 motor with the glued together swingarm seems scary but you know the bike better than me. Good luck!

I saw that on E-bay and the alarms went off! DANGER! DANGER!! DANGER!!!

I'm also guessing that the engine is a TAD heavy for the motor mounts. The extra torque on that swingarm could be a huge issue. Like someone else said AIRBOX???

I'd make sure I checked the frame backbone and the cradle tubes after every ride.

I've been beating on it the past week pretty good and everything seems fine. There is no airbox just a air filter crammed on there. The shock is directly behind the carb making no room for the airbox. The guy before me did a pretty good job with his welds. I just want to know where i can buy parts for this thing? anyone?

Suzuki dealer, but they will be expensive. Suzuki has all the tooling to manufacter old parts so they are not just NOS.

I am uploading a couple movies of me jumping the ditch, I will post the links when they are done :banghead:

I think it's pretty cool. But that swingarm was the biggest complaint i had on my 99 350se, could only be worse here. as for an airbox, you could make one and an exhaust, as the previous owner did, you will have to do a one-off. but the basics are already there, just get yourself a bigger silencer and cut your connector pipe a little further upstream, clamp new can on and use a single clamp at the back(not the dual hose clamps but one made specifically for the can you use).