TT-R50E Hard to Shift

We just got our 7 year old son a TT-R50E for his birthday. It is great but the shifter seems very hard to shift. I even find it hard to shift at times, he can't get it to shift but about 1 out 10 tries. Bike only has about 4 hours on it. Is this normal and just needs a "break in" or does it need some service already?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, thats what I was hoping to hear. I have had 5 dirt bikes and 4 street bikes, but this is the first new bike that I have ever had the pleasure to ride. I also just bought a new XT225 for me. It seems to want to idle high after it gets hot but it to only has 49 miles on it. I think I just need to give them both a little break in time before I get to critical of them.

Thanks, thats what I was hoping to hear. I have had 5 dirt bikes and 4 street bikes, but this is the first new bike that I have ever had the pleasure to ride. I also just bought a new XT225 for me. It seems to want to idle high after it gets hot but it to only has 49 miles on it. I think I just need to give them both a little break in time before I get to critical of them.

Your high idle after it gets hot is most likely because its a little lean. Try backing the fuel screw out 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn and see if that helps it.

a ttr90 can be difficult to shift as well, you have to get the timing of throttle and shifting for it to work easier. i don't really have trouble because i am an adult on the bike so i can just muscle it into gear, but i can see how it would be very difficult for a small kid with boots on to shift it. i think it's just the yamaha design

Saw you reply in another thread (https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290596&page=3&pp=10) where I mentioned the shifting difficulties we've had with our TTR50E. Since you've started a separate thread on this problem, I though I would mention it here as well.

I started my son out on a Suzuki Quadmaster 50 when he turned three. After constantly pull-starting it for him over the past few years, I swore that the next thing I bought him would be something that he could start. Well, when I saw the TTR50E in the SUZ/YAM showroom down the street that did it. I bought 2 bikes about a month ago and we've been riding almost everyday after school. We started out by letting him ride around in second gear. The only problem, though, is that the TTR50E is so hard to shift that I still had to get off my bike to put his bike in gear for him. I finally had him try putting his foot in front of the shifter and using his heel. That worked, but now he is trying to shift while riding and he keeps using his heel. I've worked with him to try and shift normally, but he can't do it. My son is 6 1/2 years old, 60lbs, and an exceptional skater (it helps that we own a skating rink) with what I would consider stronger than average ankles, but he still can't shift the TTR. In fact I've rode it and I think it shifts as hard or harder than my WR250F. I wish Yamaha would have taken into consideration that this is a 50cc kid’s bike and that small kids would be riding them. I wonder if Yamaha pulled this engine design directly out of an adult sized Asian scooter to save money. I’ve seen some threads on TT about these being made in China. Makes me wonder if I should have given up the electric start and gone with a CRF50. Honda's are known for having some of the smoothest transmissions around.

a ttr90 can be difficult to shift as well, you have to get the timing of throttle and shifting for it to work easier. i don't really have trouble because i am an adult on the bike so i can just muscle it into gear, but i can see how it would be very difficult for a small kid with boots on to shift it. i think it's just the yamaha design

I'm glad not to be the only one who has noticed this. I bought my son a TT90E and I spend quite alot of time getting off my bike and putting it into gear for him. Even then, most of the time I have to pull it up with my hand. I think I will talk to the dealer about this, or try emailing them to see what sort of response I get.

If I hear anything soon from them, I'll post it back here.

Add me to the list of people with hard to shift TTR 50's. My daughter who is absolutely loving her TTR, simply can not shift it. I have cruised a few laps around the backyard, and can tell you without question it is harder to shift than my YZ 250. You really have to muscle that thing to upshift it. Let me know if anyone finds a solution. Ours has at least 15 hours on it, and it is no better. I like everything else about the little TTR.

Chris

My son has the same prob with his '06 TT-R90. It's VERY frustrating!! :applause:

i don't think it is a flaw in the bike. because it is a clutchless bike, when you let off the throttle too early before you try and shift gears, the rear tire is now turning the motor and it loads the transmission so it is difficult for the collar to slide from one gear to the next. i have absolutly no problem shifting my 90 because i have learned exaclty when to shift, but if i am just cruising around and not really pay attention and try to shift at the wrong time, it is kind of difficult so i have to rev the engine a little to bring up rpm's and match the input shaft to the output shaft and it will slide right into gear. that is kind of the technical part to what it happening. it is kind of like shifting a standard transmission in a car. if you try and "speed shift" the car, you have to wait until the input shaft is rotating relatively close to the same speed as the output shaft, when that happens, you can just slide the collar from on gear to the other and it will be fine, but if you try and do it not under those circumstances, then the car will either just refuse to go into gear, or it will grind. that is what i think at least :banghead:

Titoheadfaceman, that is actually a VERY good slant on it. I haven't even thought about that but I bet you're right. I've noticed that I seem to be able to shift it OK, but he has hell on it. It's probably because I know to shift it like a regular manual shift bike, just skip the pulling a lever part.

Now I feel bad because I've complained about his inability to do what I deem a simple task. :applause: I've lowered his shift lever on the rod for him thinking that would help, but obviously it would make no difference if he's not letting the RPM's fall while maintaining positive forward momentum. I think when I get home this afternoon, I'll go over that in detail with him and get him to try it. I'll post our results later on tonight. Thanks for pointing out something that a lot of us veteran riders take for granted. :banghead:

Have any of you guys tried to adjust the clutch at all?I know on the honda 50s you will experence the exact same problem if the clutch is not adjusted properly.

I have yet to tear into on of these motors but I would bet the clutch needs an adjustment.The adjsutment scrfew should be located behind the insert on the clutch cover.

The other night I held the bike upright and balanced the bike for my son and had him climb on it and practice shifting with non riding boots first then we tried his new stiff as heck thor riding boots and he's seems to have figured out a way to shift it fairly easy. First he slides up on the seat as far as he can, this helps point his boot down to slide underneath the shifter that I adjusted down one notch,then he lifts his butt off the seat a few inches and slides back and it clicks up a gear quickly. The new stiff boots seem to help do this which is good because he needs the protection and well we did just pay 70 bucks for them.We practiced for about 10 minutes and he's got it down real good, now if he can do it while actually riding.After we were done he climbed up on my 450X and shifted it and was mad because it is effortless compared to his bike.

The other night I held the bike upright and balanced the bike for my son and had him climb on it and practice shifting with non riding boots first then we tried his new stiff as heck thor riding boots and he's seems to have figured out a way to shift it fairly easy. First he slides up on the seat as far as he can, this helps point his boot down to slide underneath the shifter that I adjusted down one notch,then he lifts his butt off the seat a few inches and slides back and it clicks up a gear quickly. The new stiff boots seem to help do this which is good because he needs the protection and well we did just pay 70 bucks for them.We practiced for about 10 minutes and he's got it down real good, now if he can do it while actually riding.After we were done he climbed up on my 450X and shifted it and was mad because it is effortless compared to his bike.

The answer there is obvious...just let him ride your 450X ? Then let's see who gets mad! :applause: I love watching kids, they add so much fun to our lives. Tell him I said to give it hell! :banghead:

• Like 1

My son has the same prob with his '06 TT-R90. It's VERY frustrating!! :banghead:

On my son's TT-90 we had; two things would make it hard to shift. Wrong oil viscosity, and if the idle was too fast. I forget what I put in it once but it was a bear to shift; putting recommended yamalube helped then; and once the idle was a bit high and was hard (clutch drag I guess).

Other than that I don't recall too much problems with shifting.