Sign in to follow this  

Uh, oh! Clutch problem/question!

Well, after 800+ miles, my '04 TE450 has a problem. Today, while trail riding, the clutchlever went away. Disengagement point got closer and closer to the grip. After about 5 min., clutch would not disengage. I limped back to the truck and found it was out of clutch fluid. Refilled it with new Magura mineral oil, (thanks to two KTM guys) messed with it 'til it started working again and went back out to ride. After about 1/2 hour the same thing happened again. Went back to the truck and loaded-up figuring it had developed a leaky seal inside the clutch cover. When I got home, I took off the reservoir cover expecting it to be empty again. Instead, it had plenty of fluid although it was now black and nasty looking. Clutch seems fine now.

So, do you think it had some air trapped in the line which caused the recurrence or is there something else going on? Why was the reservoir full of black nasty looking fluid? This is my first experience with a hydraulic clutch and am not sure what's going on. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks, Gunner

My first piece of advice would be to keep the bike upright instead of laying on a log after a failed attemptof trying to get over it! Having the bike almost upside down probably let the old nasty fluid flow backwards. If you stay right side up (like your Honda riding buddy) you might not have a problem. Just my 2 cents............SD!

My first piece of advice would be to keep the bike upright instead of laying on a log after a failed attemptof trying to get over it! Having the bike almost upside down probably let the old nasty fluid flow backwards. If you stay right side up (like your Honda riding buddy) you might not have a problem. Just my 2 cents............SD!

2 cents is about what it's worth! Dang it, that had nothing to do with it! The log was at least 3' high and I had to swerve to miss that little blue-eyed kid on the minibike! Besides, the bike was still running and the clutch still worked at that point! Now, get back to the Honda forum where you belong!!

I wish to apologize, to all the great Husky guys out there, for the misplaced and uninformed comments of my Honda riding "friend".

Sorry, I forgot the log was three feet high, (after I made it over the same log) and I missed the kid on the minibike. I DID see three good looking women riding on their own dirt bikes while were in the woods, maybe that is what distracted you!

same thing happened to me. buy a new slave cylinder. found a o-ring that fit but it did not last long. a new slave cylinder costs about $100 but it should fix it. the o-ring on the slave cylinder keeps the engine oil and the clutch oil seperate, so that is why you found the dark oil.

same thing happened to me. buy a new slave cylinder. found a o-ring that fit but it did not last long. a new slave cylinder costs about $100 but it should fix it. the o-ring on the slave cylinder keeps the engine oil and the clutch oil seperate, so that is why you found the dark oil.

cobb_ridge, thanks for the response. I'm not sure about the engine oil being in the reservoir. For one thing, I was riding on a fresh oil change so the oil shouldn't have been black. Also, what would force the oil up that high? Did yours act this same way? You may be right about the slave cyl. going bad. I guess I should take it out and try it again before doing anything serious.

Any other ideas out there?

OK, here's an update. Out of curiosity, I took a bungee cord and tied the clutch lever down. I figured that if it was leaking down, that would explain the problem. After 1 1/2 hr., I put the bike in gear and the clutch was still fully disengaged. So, evidently, no leak down. I'm thinking that means the slave cylinder and master cylinder are still good, right?

Ok, I has the same problem. it is NOT the slave, it is the rod that passes through the engine that engages the clutch, it looks like #2 pencil. The rod wears down and the piston in the slave chases it and finally pops out the o-ring. If the slave is not broken put it back together, get yourself a new rod and compare it to the old one and I am sure you will find it shorter. Rebleed the clutch(mineral oil only) and whe you do make sure you unscrew the adjuster knob out completely (or you will try to bleed it forever). Hope that helps. MJ

gunner:

Once again it looks like a Honda rider has come to your rescue! SD

Get that sucker fixed! Finger Lakes is comming up in a few weeks, we gotta ride!