Sign in to follow this  

WR or YZ-F ???

Here's the basics....(similar question in General section):

I'm a 40 year old Dad who rides 90% of the time with my 11 & 13 year old kids. We normally ride at Ocotillo (open desert) and Glamis (dunes) in So Cal. We take a 10 day trip to Durango, Colorado every year to ride trails in the forest (my favorite by far). :applause:

Anyway, I'll probably be moving to Colorado next Summer. I will get a new bike becaus ethere are no Husky dealers nearby. The Yamaha marketing would steer me to the WR but I'm leaning to the YZ due to the weight savings....and all the great stuff I read on this website about the bike.

What I need to know from you experts 🤣 is: Is this flawed thinking? Am I going to regret not going the WR route is I'll be doing mostly woods and trail riding? What exactly are the drawbacks? Based on who I ride with and my ability, neither bike would ever be pushed near it's limits. My 6 speed Husky rarely even makes it to 5th gear when I'm out with the kids.

Thanks for the advice/input :banghead:

if you ride with 11 and 13 year olds, why are you looking at roosting them with

a wr or yz?

You won't have to do any mods to a yz and if you don't ride hard, it will go for ever.

If you are not racing and want to be able to crank it easily when hot, then go with the WR. With the flywheel weight, you can lug the WR much easier and it is just plain easier to ride. You can increase performance close to the YZ with a few mods and the bike will rip. The e-start works great for stop and go riding. Search this forum for comparisons and I think the decision will be made easier for you. This is just a few things that make the WR a better choice for mainly riding, especially with children. You can easily shed 5 to 10 pounds off the WR without losing the e-start.

Whats wrong with the TE250?

If you are riding for the chance to spend time with the Kids, get the WR. It is made for riding in the woods and has the electric start.

I just went from a yz426f to a yz250f and just love it in the woods. The only reason I went with the yz is because my kids like to go to a MX track and the WR will not handle that.

yz for sure you can smooth the yz out easier than you can yz the wr.ive owned three yzfs and have rode buddys wrs and although i do like them alot theres no replacing the fun factor of the yzs motor and weight difference when compared to the wr.most of my riding is done in the dez.

You really can't go wrong either way. Everybody's opinion is going to lean towards the bike that they ride. The WR is perfect for me, because I spend a lot of time riding with my 9 year old, mainly in the woods. We go to an MX track once in a while, and since I'm not racing, the WR does pretty well there. At least my skills probably aren't good enough to demand a pure MX bike, and the WR jumps well enough for my abilities.

The YZ will be lighter, but have less range due to a smaller fuel tank. The WR will be easier to start, and harder to stall, but heavier. The YZ will be snappier in response to throttle inputs, but the WR will have about a 20 mph top end advantage. You'll have to decide which attributes are most important to you.

I've installed a YZ cam and exhaust,along with the free mods and a JD jetting kit in my WR, and it pops 3rd gear wheelies with a flick of the throttle. I doubt that a stock YZ is much faster, and it's plenty fast enough for me.

ya the stock yz would have less on top but get there much quicker than the wr only because of the tranny once you do the yz mods-but as you said there are pros and cons to either bike.thyre both awesome machines.no doubt

I've YZ'd mine with plastic and pipe and the pounds come off rather easily. The biggest question to me is the trans. For woods riding the WR is the bike in my opinion. It does have it's limitations on the MX track. First gear is useless and fifth is to tall. The YZ for woods will require suspension re-valve not to be to harsh. Must decide where most of you time will be spent. I've got a seven year old and the button and kit stand come in handy helping the little ones and still rips when you sneak away with the boys. Either bike will require some mods to suit your needs but thats half the fun. Good luck!

I've YZ'd mine with plastic and pipe and the pounds come off rather easily. The biggest question to me is the trans. For woods riding the WR is the bike in my opinion. It does have it's limitations on the MX track. First gear is useless and fifth is to tall. The YZ for woods will require suspension re-valve not to be to harsh. Must decide where most of you time will be spent. I've got a seven year old and the button and kit stand come in handy helping the little ones and still rips when you sneak away with the boys. Either bike will require some mods to suit your needs but thats half the fun. Good luck!

I'd have to second the button and kickstand when riding with the 9 year old and the wife. Can't imagine having to lean it against a tree and then kickstarting all the time.

If it were me, I'd get the WR, but I'd make it a 450. I lived in Colorado for 3 years while in the Army. The altitude really saps horsepower. It would make my 1000cc sportbike weez the higher up I went. The WR is not THAT much heavier, not at our level. You can MX a WR if you want, it won't keep up with Ricky, but then again, WHO can ? I'm 45 and raced MX on bikes with WAAAAAY less suspension than a WR. E-start, kickstand, headlight, it's custom made for just what you want to do. WRWRWRWRWRWRWRWRWR!!!

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it a great deal. If nothing else, I learned that I'm probably pretty safe either way.

On the tight single track the you will hate the yz, the wr will be a lot better. The yz's light flywheel and tallere 1st will have you riding the clutch and maybee stalling a lot in the really tight stuff. For the really fast sections 50mph or more you will be hating the yz it will be just screeeeeeming and the the wr will be cruising at 50mph

On the track of corse the lighter more powerfull YZ will be better.

either way you go you should drop a tooth in front sprocket if your riding woods

Here's the basics....Based on who I ride with and my ability, neither bike would ever be pushed near it's limits...

I ride Blue...I bleed blue...Know that I am a proud and happy owner of a trick WR that hurls me faster than God intended for me to go.

BUT

Buy an XR. You said it yourself when you said you won't push the bike. That is an XR. Riding a WR or YZF as a 'dad' is the wrong thing to do to a WR or YZF.

The two Yammies are meant to be pushed. When I ride with my daughters (9 & 7), I prefer my wife's XR200 (and wish it was a 100!). You need to get to those kids fast sometimes and dropping a red bike is a lot easier for my conscience than dropping a (Royal) blue one! :banghead:

E-start is a winner if you have to stop and wait or help people often.

E-start is a winner if you have stalled on a hill in a harescramble with 5 people behind you and you want to get going quickly.

A properly moded WR can go as fast or faster than a YZF in woods or trails. :banghead:

Got a 6 year old and ride verrryyy slowwww some times, another mark for the WR is the over flow resivoire that provides extra over heating protection. As for the E-start "WORTH ITS WIEGHT IN GOLD" specially following those vertical trails through the woods that the quads forge. Lookin for that pot of gold at the end of the "trail" I mean Rainbow I'm following.....Gotta see it all ya know.

Oh yeah my WR jumps just fine :banghead: