Sign in to follow this  

KLX 300 issues?

Hi everybody,

I'm thinking about buying a KLX 300,and wonder what kink of issues should I be concern about these bikes.

Is there any specific bike's year/s to avoid?

Are these bikes easy to mantain?what about the valves?do they need to be adjust very often?

I own a Suzuki DRZ 400 S right now,and even the power is plenty,my main goal is to get a lighter bike because I'm not a speed demon.

I mostly ride fire roads,trail,and tarmac to connect those roads.

Any suggestion or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Yeah, the klx is good. Dont know about any specific years to avoid. Its pretty low maintenance and the very first thing you'll want to do is change the bars, pull the airbox cover off, can the plug in the exahust and dyno jet. However if I had to do over I probably would have went with the crf 250x. Simply put more power, electric start, lighter then the klx, and seperate trany and engine oil compartments.

I say this because I bought a crf250 for my dad and never gave it to him I ended up keeping it and giving him the klx instead. Simply put its a way better trail bike, but more expensive and periodic valve shimming and checking is necessary if you want the engine to last.

the 97 thru 2001 models could be a real bear to start at times. Kawasaki retimed the autodecompressor in 2002 and the bikes became much more consistent starters. High mileage units can suffer from valve cupping. The stock suspension is a little soft for riders over 175 pounds the shock is ok but heavier fork springs are a must. The bikes are otherwise very reliable until they get some pretty significant riding time on them. There are quite a few mods for the bike but a lot of them are not cheap and the bike will never be an MX missle. I spent thousands of dollars on the 5 that I owned trying to make them into a competitive racer with mixed results.

There are low mileage KLX's with valve issues. STill, even with it's valve problems, it's a far cry from the problems Honda is having with the CRF's/X's. After getting off the S you're gonna LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the KLX.

I have a 2002 KLX 300 and love it. It's been trouble free. Most of the guys I ride with are on 400's and I can hang with them all day long. I went with a new pipe and am about to do a little jet work to see if I can squeak out a little more performance. The KLX is much lighter than everyone thinks, weighing only 7 lbs more the the CRF 250. It is certainly lighter than the XR 250 and the DRZ 250, with a lot more HP at the high RPM's.

The KLX is much lighter than everyone thinks, weighing only 7 lbs more the the CRF 250. It is certainly lighter than the XR 250 and the DRZ 250, with a lot more HP at the high RPM's.

Hmmm, must have been a heavy CRF.....

Anyway, it is definately lighter than the XR or DRZ, but if you ride consistantly in the high RPM's you WILL most likely have valve problems. Not as bad as the CRF's or RMZ's but you will have them. The DRZ400S is a very reliable bike and I would say the KLX is as reliable with the exception of the valves. The DRZ valves seem to hold on better, but the KLX will be sooooooooo much more fun to ride in the tight stuff.

I have a 2002 KLX 300 and love it. It's been trouble free. Most of the guys I ride with are on 400's and I can hang with them all day long. I went with a new pipe and am about to do a little jet work to see if I can squeak out a little more performance.

Put some effort into the suspension and you'll be pulling away from the 400's.

Ride on

Brewster

What kind of valves problems are you talking about?

Do they need to be adjust about after every ride or two?

The DRZ seems to hold the clearence pretty good(I check them often),and other than changing the automatic cam chain tensioner for a manual one,are trouble free.

Good Morning,

I presently have a drz400s that i bought to replace 2001 klx300 with

don't get me wrong about the drz it is a nice bike for being a dual sport

but it is no true trail bike to heavy. but the klx is a incredible trail bike with a little suspension work and do the free mods to the engine. as far as the valves go. my experience has been keep an eye on the clearances of the intakes. i bought it new in 2001 and just this year the clearances are tightening up. but on that note this is not a track bike!!!!!! if that is what you want you will not be happy and my opionen the motor will not last.

but if you want a single track bike for tight trails it can't be beat. it likes being lugged. I have rode xr's kdx's drz's and the klx if used for what is mebt for you can't go wrong. it is a little small for larger riders compared to drz.

:banghead::applause:🤣

Thanks for the information guys.

I'm not into tracks or racing,just trails,fire roads and a bit of pavement to connect the dots.

I thinks that I'll give it try to see what happens.

I found a street legal today on the paper.

What kind of valves problems are you talking about?

Do they need to be adjust about after every ride or two?

The DRZ seems to hold the clearence pretty good(I check them often),and other than changing the automatic cam chain tensioner for a manual one,are trouble free.

Intake valves cupping and sucking down into the head every couple thousand miles.

The KLX is much lighter than everyone thinks, weighing only 7 lbs more the the CRF 250. It is certainly lighter than the XR 250 and the DRZ 250, with a lot more HP at the high RPM's.

Ah, actually the KLX is much heavier than most people think. Since Kawasaki is not truthful in their advertised weight. It really weighs more in the neighborhood of 250 lbs dry, with some people weighing it over 260 with oil and water.

these bikes are not the fastest thing you can buy by a long shot, but they are great for trail riding. The suspension is super soft, and the tractor like torq is very predictable. They are light and reliable.

Dont beleive the rumors about the 2001 and older bikes being hard to start. I ride an 01 with two guys that have 2003's. I think mine is the easiest to start of the bunch. All I did to cure the problem is have it jetted correctly and put a pro circuit pipe on it.

I have purchased a klx400 and sold it after one weekend. I bought my old faithful 2001 klx300 back from the dealer.

Then I bought an 05 crf250x. This time I held on to the klx. I sold the crf after about 5 trips, and now I still ride the klx300.

Now, I have put a deposit on a new crf450 (looking for electric start with klx reliability and rideability), and I'm not going to sell the 300 until I'm sure there is a better bike on the market.

Dont be afraid of these awsome bikes

dan

A bunch of guys I know have had some trouble keeping up with the maintenace on the hondas, so they ended up selling them and got yamaha wr's, 250's and 450's. They really like those bikes. They tell me they are very reliable with less maintenance than the hondas. Please be aware - these are THEIR opinions after having both honda and yamaha. I don't have either, but I've ridden a 250 and a 450 and they are superb riding bikes. I'm not just making this up, I asked around a lot because I was recently doing a lot of bike shopping and research, but I actually ended up with a ktm 2 stroke after weighing all the pros and cons! TONS of power!

A stock klx 300 is actually a very mellow and easy-to-ride bike, unless you push it hard. Then you better hang on tight because the stock suspension will probably toss you off the bike. They are a bit weighty at about 260 lbs with a full gas tank. But, a 2005 yami wr450 with a full tank weighs in at about 280 lbs! Then again, a klx 400 (drz400) will probably weigh about 300-310 lbs, maybe a bit more. The klx seems heavy because it carries a lot of weight high up, so picking it up off the ground is a pain if you're not a powerlifter.

i have a 2007 klx 300 the problem I am having is it does not start sometimes and if you are riding and it just stops and it will not fire for a few minutes or wont even start after half hour is it vapor lock or something  temp about 96 degrees outside