Sign in to follow this  

interesting observation: CRF vs. YZF

I know these are not "scientific polls" however...

on the Yamaha YZ/WR 250 forum, they have a poll posted that indicates 11.5% of them have had their bike "blow up"

On the Honda CRF 250 forum, there is a poll (currently about 10 pages in) that shows 15% of CRF250R riders had major valve issues, and 7% of CRF250X riders have had major valve issues.

If we average the R and X results (the YZ site has them combined) we get 11% failure rate (actually you could weight the numbers a bit differently, as another poll indicates there are more X riders then R riders, so our combined weighted total is a bit less than 11%....

So YZ and CRF owners have both reported similar failure rates. All hype aside, these are the numbers we as owners have reported.

What I personally find interesting, is that these numbers closely represent my own "real world" observations, both blue and red seem to be very similar in failure rate.

No way Yamaha's are proven solid engines, I ride a Honda, but still have to admit the Yamaha is a much better bike, but still I ride the Honda for the love of it.

Both manufacturers have created very reliable machines, the earlier four stroke hondas seemed to have more valve related issues than the earlier yamahas... im pretty sure the newer hondas havent had as many problems, but considering the amount of years yamaha has been producing high performance four stroke motocross bikes, im sure they have it down to a science... yamaha was the first to produce a four stroke motocross bike... the yz400... being the originators, theyve had a lot of time for research and development and surely have an advantage over their competitors.

See, i like this topic because its based off fact. A honda is a great bike and it will be my next one, but the Yamaha has simply had more R@D on there motor design