Sign in to follow this  

hand brakes

I come from years of bmx and mtb. I've seen a couple left hand rear brakes on bikes with a Rekluse, but has anyone ever set it up exactly like a bicycle(front brake left, rear right)? Since the front brake is used the most, it makes sense in my mind that it be on the non-throttle side for more accuracy. Thoughts, comments?

P.S. please don't say it would be easier to switch around the brakes on the bicycle, duh. :applause::banghead:

why don't you just get used to it. i have ridden bicycles my whole life and never get them confused. when i first got on a dirtbike there were a few times that i panicked and grab the front brake, but it happened like twice before i got the hang of it. I think it's on the throttle side so you don't gas it while you have the brake on, thats not a good combo of actions.

so just get used to it

I come from years of bmx and mtb. I've seen a couple left hand rear brakes on bikes with a Rekluse, but has anyone ever set it up exactly like a bicycle(front brake left, rear right)? Since the front brake is used the most, it makes sense in my mind that it be on the non-throttle side for more accuracy. Thoughts, comments?

P.S. please don't say it would be easier to switch around the brakes on the bicycle, duh. :applause::banghead:

But I must! I switch all my MTB/Road Bike brakes to the motorcycle standard. The front brake is just too important to get confused about, especially at a buck-something coming into turn 2 or turn 11 at Laguna Seca 🤣 My experiences at sportbike racetrack schools and track days leaves me with tremendous respect for good precise front brake control, and even a slight hesitation can make you miss a turn or get passed. Even just doing stoppies on a streetbike, dirtbike or MTB takes some pretty good front brake control, and I don't want to make any mistakes there either.

I think the reason that the throttle and front brake are together is because you roll back and forth between them, you don't use them both hard at the same time. As opposed to the clutch, which you use a lot under acceleration on a dirtbike, and a fair amount under deceleration on a sportbike (unless you have a slipper clutch, or use the blipping technique). Having the clutch lever on the throttle side would handicap the use of the clutch too much, IMO.

Some of my dirtbike friends keep their MTB levers stock, and some switch them. You can probably get used to the difference on a dirtbike. But if I were racing a sportbike series, there's no way I'd ride a bicycle with stock levers.

EDIT -- I just re-read your post. Are you saying you want to have a rear brake lever on the throttle hand too? Is this just for use with an auto clutch bike?

I wonder if most pro riders setup their cross training bicycles with controls like a dirt/streetbike?

Gotta a question for you guys.....if there never were such things as clutch lever(like bicycles), where do you think the motorcycle industry would have put the front brake lever? With a throttle tube on the right, and nothing on the left, I can't imagine they would have put a lever on the right. It's just always been unavoidable since the clutch and throttle need to be used simultaneously, they can't be on the same side, IMHO. What do ya think??

well like i said the first time, it's probably on the throttle side because you arn't really supposed to have throttle and front brake at the same time, but you can do throttle and rear brake, so that is why i would say it is on the throttle side, so you cant give it much throttle and brake at the same time.

When I get on a mtn bike, I chant to myself, "Right rear, right rear, right rear."

The problem with switching brakes on a mtn bike is only other motorcycle riders swap them. Switch bikes with someone else and you both have a great chance of wrecking. Go to somewhere like Moab and rent a bike, you're toast.

Just reset your brain on the mtn bike. Since a motorcycle is right front and right foot rear, I don't have to think about it as much.

"Right rear, right rear, right rear." It's not that hard.

well like i said the first time, it's probably on the throttle side because you arn't really supposed to have throttle and front brake at the same time, but you can do throttle and rear brake, so that is why i would say it is on the throttle side, so you cant give it much throttle and brake at the same time.

Agreed. The throttle is not compatable with a clutch or rear brake lever. The question was,"if there were NO lever on the left side, where would you think the industry would have put the front brake lever?" Rear would still just be foot control in that case.

I personally would consider putting a rear brake lever on my throttle side since I never use my throttle and rear brake together(improper I'm sure). The scary thing is....I'm only going to do this on one of my bikes! I see pain in my future. :banghead::applause:

I'd like to have the rear brake on the left handlebar like on a auto-clutcher.

Going into a right turn, it's hard to rear brake and stick your foot out.

Left turn? Pull in the clutch, stomp the rear brake, skid the rear tire while opening up the throttle, let out the clutch, and rocket out of the turn.

I tried switching them similar to my motorcycle and went back after 1 ride. It's total instinct for me to ride either one without even thinking about the brake issue.