Sign in to follow this  

CRF80 lowering links?

Hello all,

First time poster here. Just got back into the world of thumpers after a long hiatus into streetbikes. My issue is this:

Just picked up a CRF80 for my 10yr old girl based on it being the smallest thing I could find with a clutch. I kinda feel that learning to use the clutch is all part of that 'first bike' thing (although that's not what this question is about). Anyway, my problem is that she's *just* at that breakpoint between being tall enough for it, but not quite. Give it a year and my problem goes away, but I want her to start using it *now*. :banghead:

I searched the forums for any info on a lowering link (or other methods) of reducing the seat height, and found one gentleman in Australia that did just that. However, he didn't name the product or manufacturer, just the item. Is there any guidance anyone can give me in my search for a lowering kit for this bike?

On a related note (and to maybe make this easier), how close are the prior XR80 and the current year CRF80? I'm getting the feeling that the CFR is the XR's replacement, and it just may be a name change (which would simplify things greatly when looking for parts etc...)

Thansk for any input, and I imagine I'll be asking more questions soon...

Leanintree

As far as lowering link, not sure. But the XR/CRF 80 has been the same since the mid 90's other than cosmetics basically.

I'd buy another seat off of ebay and cut the foam down that way when she gets bigger she'll have a regular seat.

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. Just picked up a '03 XR80 for my nine year old daughter. She just turned nine, and it's her first motorcycle. She has to kind of slide to one side or the other to touch the ground. Like you, I wanted her to learn the clutch, though I probably would have went for a 70 had I found one used at the time.

I've read somewhere that you can bolt the wheels from a 70 right on to the 80, and then there's always the seat foam trick. It looks to me like the 80 has the same seat as (my son's) XR100, so it you wanted to try to pick one up off eBay, I think either one would work.

I think what I may do is actually go ahead and look for a 50 or maybe a 70, and let her gain confidence on a much smaller bike.