Sign in to follow this  

XT Poeple out there??

A 600 grizzly quad has a cv carb that does a 2 into 1 I would assume the 600 is the old xt 600 engine but cv carbs aren't known for being responsive also there would be only one throttle cable

Holy cats! this is what I want to do to my XT. I love riding it, but would like some more brakes. I have a '90 CR250 that'd be happy to donate the front end, I just need some shocks to level it back up. What length are those? I PM'd you Grimm boy. Thanks. Great looking bike. Troy341 :prof:

I built this for the Heroes Legend Classic Dakar ride, then through a rule change which allowed my modern KTM to go so I stopped here.

1977 XT500 with a CR250 front end, custom Ohlins, Woody's Wheel's, MZ-B ignition and Baja Designs headlight, many other mods.

I love this stuff...

183656955-M.jpg

183656978-M.jpg

Oh, BTW here's mine. '79 XT500. $500, Runs good, always 1 or 2 kicks. Troy341

copyofpa300301na0.jpg

Well, you guys might laugh, but apparently replacing the stock exhaust on a XT550 with a car's resonance chamber is considered kinda rad here is South Africa...:thumbsup:

There's a pic of it in my garage, will post a better pic if I remember to take my camera with next time I visit my parents.

Here is my 77 XT<a  href=2001251611340841231_th.jpg' alt='2001251

I had one just like that. Making me a bit misty as that looks like mine did when it was new. Nice bike

Well, you guys might laugh, but apparently replacing the stock exhaust on a XT550 with a car's resonance chamber is considered kinda rad here is South Africa...:rolleyes:

There's a pic of it in my garage, will post a better pic if I remember to take my camera with next time I visit my parents.

Not really that funny. My mate put a res chamber on 2 of his bikes...one of which i bought off him. Was great! An 89 xt600 :thumbsup:

Just picked up a 1994 XT350 with 4000 miles....love it so far:thumbsup:

2000 xt 350 rider here. had a 1992 xt225 serrow before this one. one bro has 2 1982 xt250 and the other had 1986 xt350, 1983 xt200, and a 1984 xt200. he is runni a suzi duchar 600 now.

Hi there maim, is your 2000 xt350 hard to start?.

mine is, i bought it used last week (may 23rd) with 1136km on it.

can it be because of old gas in the carbs? do you know when to ajust the valves on this bike?

Thank-You

cold start at the most it is 3 kicks. after that mine floods. i would try it with new gas 1st happymikee as mine is a bugger to start with stale gas.

i pay to get my valves set every 6000km as recommended by by the head service tec at my local dealer. with doing this i have not dropped a valve in either bike i owned. the xt225 had 18000km on it when i sold it and it is still going. the xt350 has 16000km on it currently and i have it torn down for fresh piston, rings and some cam/head work. the valves are shim and bucket type and are a pita to adjust so i just pay to have it done. you could probably do them yourself with the service manual.

from seeing your milage, you might want to check the carb boots with some eather to see if they are separating as they tend to do that if they have been sitting for a long time. you spray the eather on the boots while the bike is running. if rpm's increase the boots are bad and need to be replaced.

I have had two xt's a 79 XT500 and an 86 XT600, I really enjoyed both bikes I never had any problems with either. I currently am on a DRZ but sometimes wish I had hung on to the XT's they were great bikes.

Yea, my '77 XT500 was one of the best bikes I have owned. I too wish I never would have let it go. To bad there is not a modern version of it.

Monday I bought my XT550 basket case.

83xt550vj8.th.jpg

It sat for four years (insp. ran out 5/04, after an accident), had a blown front tube, no clutch cable, various other parts need TLC, but it runs.

Tuesday I drained the old tea-colored gas, replaced the fuel line and filter.

Yesterday, replaced the tube and installed a make-shift clutch cable and rode it for the first time.

Seems like it can be a great machine.

There's two things I need to resolve before I take it for a real ride, one that more than just confirms the speedo works. Handlebar needs replaced, hopefully that will be done this weekend. The next thing is going to take more time and I'm hoping someone can advise me. It's too tall. Not just tippy-toe too tall, uncomfortable too tall, I can probably get one leg down, but the other I won't be able to touch the ground. I'm thinking my best route which won't hurt suspension travel, is to replace the wheels with smaller diameter ones.

Is there any wheels that are a direct replacement with smaller diameter? Can I find a rim in the right size, with the correct number of spoke-holes and have it respoked on a the existing hub?

What would you do as far as sprocket/speedo (speedo will be fast since the wheels get smaller, I mean)?

Anybody got a parts bike in the PA area? I need turn signals, tach cable, rear turn signals, front brake lever, brake light mount (lens is ok, but mount is in bad shape), mirrors w/mounts, a few odds and ends.

Thanks.

I feel so happy to find XT guys!

These bikes are so rare in North America.

Why? Because it is not a hardcore enduro? You can do all with these bikes! Best all in one bike I ever had: family excursions, river crossings, street, beach, ...

XTwifes-1.jpg

XTWatercrossing1.jpg

xtgraveld.jpg

xtbeachride5.jpg

I love this bike!

The small boys like the bike, too!

xtbeachrideboy.jpg

.. it can not be compared with the KLR! It is better, a lot lighter and much more durable (you can tell that it is assembled in Japan - and not in Thailand).

XTbeachride8.jpg

Wow, way to go XT guys! I started this thread then just disappeared. I don't have my '88 anymore, but I'm keeping my eyes open for a later e-start model.

Monday I bought my XT550 basket case.

83xt550vj8.th.jpg

It sat for four years (insp. ran out 5/04, after an accident), had a blown front tube, no clutch cable, various other parts need TLC, but it runs.

Tuesday I drained the old tea-colored gas, replaced the fuel line and filter.

Yesterday, replaced the tube and installed a make-shift clutch cable and rode it for the first time.

Seems like it can be a great machine.

There's two things I need to resolve before I take it for a real ride, one that more than just confirms the speedo works. Handlebar needs replaced, hopefully that will be done this weekend. The next thing is going to take more time and I'm hoping someone can advise me. It's too tall. Not just tippy-toe too tall, uncomfortable too tall, I can probably get one leg down, but the other I won't be able to touch the ground. I'm thinking my best route which won't hurt suspension travel, is to replace the wheels with smaller diameter ones.

Is there any wheels that are a direct replacement with smaller diameter? Can I find a rim in the right size, with the correct number of spoke-holes and have it respoked on a the existing hub?

What would you do as far as sprocket/speedo (speedo will be fast since the wheels get smaller, I mean)?

Anybody got a parts bike in the PA area? I need turn signals, tach cable, rear turn signals, front brake lever, brake light mount (lens is ok, but mount is in bad shape), mirrors w/mounts, a few odds and ends.

Thanks.

Hey Smac, i got ya covered for the turn signal. I have an extra. The front and rear are basically the same. PM me your address and Ill mail it out to ya.

As far as the ride height, i was just a bit too tippy toe also until i lowered the pre-tension on the rear shock. Take off the seat, then tank, then turn the collar towards the front of the bike. This will relax the shock and lower the rear. As for the front, unscrew one fork cap and pull out that short metal tube at the top. Cut off about an inch or so and then reassemble and do the other side. This will drop the front down. Youd probably want to go to the hardware store and buy a plastic pvc pipe the same diameter as the metal tube and use that instead of messing with the original, in case you want to put the ride height back to stock. ANyway, i did all that to mine and it made a huge difference. It seems an easier route than the wheel modifications. ALso, buy a can of Sea Foam and mix a half can with a full tank of gas. It might clean out your fuel system. Use the rest of the can on the next tank full.

Oh, i use MSR low rise ATV bars. Perfect feel, i think.

man, i would loooove to ride through Costa Rica. Are those XT600's ??

Yea, my '77 XT500 was one of the best bikes I have owned. I too wish I never would have let it go. To bad there is not a modern version of it.

Man, I've been thinking about selling my XT500, and now you guys have to post this. I know if I let it go, I'll regret it, but even when it was running (stator died, currently out for repair), I didn't ride it that often. Now I'm on reduced hours at work, but I have two other bikes to maintain that I've been riding, and one other (the Honda) that I'm thinking of selling. The XT500 is certainly a fun bike... Hmmmmm....